Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada introduces zoned boarding

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 15, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
See new thread for zoned boarding from 2020 onwards.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by SparseFlyer
Damn. At this point, AC might as well swap your SE card to the VIP card.
Yeah, getting that at YYZ is impressive. Most of the "smaller" (YYC and down) stations have at least one concierge who know me now, but YYZ/YVR/YUL are just too big for me to ever make an impression.

The reaction I expect at YYZ is more along the lines of "Sir, this line is for priority boarding only. You're not allowed here. Go stand over there (pointing at 3-5)".
Old Jul 9, 2015, 1:08 pm

Programs: AC 50K, Marriott Lifetime Platinum

July 9 IAH-YYZ AC 8112. Zone boarding done perfectly. Considering IAH was awful before, they are proof that everyone can get it right.
Old Jul 9, 2015, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 172pilot
July 9 IAH-YYZ AC 8112. Zone boarding done perfectly. Considering IAH was awful before, they are proof that everyone can get it right.
Whooaaa what.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 10:57 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
YYC-YWG AC8334 July 14
Boarding announcement for zone 1 - proceeded to gate to stand behind two other persons in zone 1 / 2 while agent checking in zone 3. Continued to ignore those in 1/2 until another 6 people from zone 3 were processed.

Why bother.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
YYC-YWG AC8334 July 14
Boarding announcement for zone 1 - proceeded to gate to stand behind two other persons in zone 1 / 2 while agent checking in zone 3. Continued to ignore those in 1/2 until another 6 people from zone 3 were processed.

Why bother.
And the zone boarding FAILS continue...

GAs doing as they please, thumbing their noses at protocol.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:01 pm
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
My recent experiences have generally been pretty good, actually.

June 22 AC8102 YYC-IAH boarded Zone 1 first.
June 24 AC8107 IAH-YYC boarded Zone 1 first.
June 26 AC844 YYC-FRA boarded all correctly (GAs started boarding before we could get on the plane, so heard the other announcements while stuck on the jetway).
July 12 AC845 FRA-YYC boarded Zone 1 first.

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Thanks guys for answering my wife.

Completely unacceptable and ridiculous.

Originally Posted by YYT82
Well, that's the reason I suggested GoPro

Good post. However, I disagree that customer complaints without hard evidence carry no weight. It's clearly impossible to record every interaction that every front-line employee has with customers. I understand that a single customer complaint likely isn't enough to get someone seriously disciplined or fired, but if there are repeated complaints about the same employee, especially if it's about similar issues, that is definitely cause for taking action against the employee.

Originally Posted by BlueMilk
Breaking up families and travellers on the same PNR at boarding time is, IMHO, probably the greatest fail in the whole zoned boarding thing.
mrs.sap was actually travelling on a separate PNR, but it's possible for AC's idiotic IT systems to assign different boarding zones on the BPs even if you're travelling on the same PNR. I had this happen recently in YVR with my girlfriend. Thankfully the GAs had no issue with it, but had we had the same GA that sap and mrs.sap had, there would have been trouble, let me tell you.

Originally Posted by yyznomad
Whooaaa what.
I was through IAH a couple of weeks ago (per list above) and it was fine. Going through again on Friday, we'll see how it goes.

Originally Posted by Argonaut1000
YYC-YWG AC8334 July 14

Why bother.
Strange. I don't think I've had a single flight out of YYC this year where zone boarding hasn't been done correctly.

Another GA fail.

Lots of GA failures nowadays. They seem to run the show and do as they please and who is making sure that they are following the rules/protocols? Nobody?
^
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:13 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
YYZ YUL yesterday. Zonal boarding sorta success/fail. Zone 1 first. - success there

This is the part that ticks me off the most. As per last time, Mrs. SAP and I have the same last name, both with wedding rings. Nope, denied.

Yesterday, other FTer and I. Different race and age, and no checks done AT ALL, and yep, I just walked on in zone 1, when I should have been boarded in zone 2. Allowed.

What the proverbial upcoming cow??????????
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I would lock my computer, stop working, and call a supervisor. And I think that's a very reasonable response.
I don't necessarily agree. In this case, these people have jobs that involve dealing with crowds; for such jobs, I don't think it is that unreasonable to film those interactions. After all, when you call customer service you are usually told that you are being recorded; it would sound unfair if it were illegal for the customer to record the interaction where he/she is been recorded.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: AC*E35 and decreasing
Two experiences yesterday.

AC1107: zone boarding was perfect, with the exception that they called 1-2 together, so I can assume that zone 1 would be bothered about it.

AC811: IST-YYZ. I suppose the employees are from TK? Boarding was complete chaos. They started boarding "business" with no announcement. When they felt they were done with business, it was "everybody in". I had zone 4, but by staying close to the passport check employees (instead of making a pointless line somewhere else where the majority was) I was able to get into the same bus as the business class passengers, who had to wait some 10 minutes in their bus. Then it was about one hour from "door closed" to take-off, but that's another story.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 1:52 pm

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
As per last time, Mrs. SAP and I have the same last name, both with wedding rings. Nope, denied.
How does this actually happen? Absolutely ridiculous.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks guys for answering my wife.

So further to what she wrote (yes, I'm still trying to get her on FT more).

The gate agent refused her flat out. I won't say she was discriminatory but the first question was...how do you two know each other? (which implies she knows the rules). I said she's my wife. (we're not of the same race)

Ok..at this point I'm expecting no issues. She then says my wife cannot priority board because she's zone whatever (I don't remember now) and i'm in zone 2. I'm like...but she's my wife! She can board with me! Then the GA says no, she can't. Then she says ma'am, please wait your term.

At this point, everyone is still priority boarding and i'm like...well crap, I have our bags to throw up top. My wife is like...just take mine and go. And so I do.

During this time, I'm on the plane waiting for her and I'm so freakingly mad. I then send my wife (she still hasn't boarded at this point) the link from AC that shows spouses are eligible. I then encourage my wife to call the GA a moron as she boards and shows that same GA who refused her to board with me the article

I'm not sure if she did call the GA a moron (I would have for sure) but she did show the GA the thing on her phone.

Guess what the GA said?

(not quoting, but it was to the effect of) - I do this many times a day. I know the rules. The website must be wrong.

I almost lost it when I heard that. So i'll say what she should have said.

MORONS! Grr.
This all must be from the AC GA protocol on how to ignore all AC protocol.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, Jiffypark Manhattan Gold
I can vouch, took 8108 IAH-YYZ on Jul 12, someone came up to the front of the line "oh sir you're boarding group 2, we're only doing 1"...only for her to IMMEDIATELY announce group 2, but I appreciated her efforts.

It's getting better, but it's still clearly hit or miss. I'll often hear 1 call for group 1 then that's it. I've also heard Group 3-5 all at once, which if I were in group 3 would piss me off to no end. I'm not sure who's in Group 3 at this point, but when I was UA group 5, I just knew there'd be no overhead space, whereas if you're group 3 you might be ok, but that only works if 4/5 go after you.

The other thing that still gets me (more for smaller aircrafts/gates/stations) is the lice! I love when someone asks me if I'm group 1, cuz I certainly don't look like it. But I don't know if people just can't read or are ignorant, but the sign clearly says 1, so if you're group 2, why are you standing in this line? It's not NEARLY as bad with the gates that show 1/2/3-5 but those gates that have the 1-2 then 3-5 signs suck. They really should be 1/2-5 but making sure they weed out the 3/4/5s when they call for group 2.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:40 pm

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
July 10 LHR-YYZ 869

Called 1 and 2 together...it was a long line
Old Jul 15, 2015, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

LHR now calling zones 1 and 2 together now as habit

Originally Posted by Wings100
Called 1 and 2 together...it was a long line
I find that LHR is now calling 1 and 2 together all the time now.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I find that LHR is now calling 1 and 2 together all the time now.
Which is just stupid IMO: Several of the LHR flights are operated by the 77W, so there are 70+ pax in zones 1 and 2 on most flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.