Community
Wiki Posts
Search

YVR - MEL: AC or other?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Originally Posted by RooFlyer

You can't avoid a terminal change in Sydney if you are going International to Domestic (unless your point was to avoid SYD altogether and go to MEL ).
I flew YOW-YVR-SYD-BNE in 2010. The SYD-BNE segment on QF was an international flight because it continued onwards to Asia after stopping in BNE. So I stayed in the Intl terminal upon arriving in Sydney and cleared customs when I got to Brisbane.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:56 am

Don't forget it is only 25,000 aeropesos to fly from NZ to AUS. We went AKL-SYD, MEL-WLG (23.5 hour stopover)-AKL. While in Australia, we got flights for under $100 per person to see Gold Coast (SYD-OOL) and then $90 pp (OOL-MEL) on Virgin Australia.

We flew YYC-LAX-AKL, AKL-LAX-SFO-YYC by booking through Air New Zealand. My Wife and 2 Kids tried their SkyCouch and had a bit more room to sleep with some comfy pillows. I took an exit row to fit my long legs.

All in we got to see AKL, SYD, OOL, MEL, & WLG for about the same price (plus 100k aeropesos) as flying YYC-MEL on AC.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 4:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by PLeblond
I just remembered that UA now flies LAX-MEL on their new 789. Could be fun, but I'm betting its not an inexpensive option.
its much better than trying to change airports in Sydney. ( its a major hassle) The UA plane has E+ and its cheap to buy, if the OP does not have status.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Thanks for the replies and follow ups.

Rooflyer, thanks for the Intel about arriving into SYD.

Looking forward to Virgin Australia as have flown Virgin America a few times in J and it's been great.

Also, hoping to avoid a checked bag (short trip) so should be able to avoid that part.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by why fly
The UA plane has E+ and its cheap to buy, if the OP does not have status.
If you consider ~$200 US per direction to be cheap.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 10:21 pm

Interesting comments so far, I am making this trip next fall for a wedding and have lots of flexible time to play with flights.

Has anyone done anything like YVR/SEA-CGK/SIN/BKK/etc... stay a couple days, then head down to SYD/MEL? I am thinking some of the $1000 flights that have been floating around, it seems to be about $700-$1000 to go from Asia to Australia afterwards, all in it is pretty comparable to going direct.

The Hawaii idea sounds kind of nice, as does Fiji.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I'm going to MEL next March and thinking of booking YYZ-LHR-SIN-MEL and then either return the same way or make it a RTW by going MEL-SIN-NRT-LAX-YYX to do most of it on SQ. Looks like anywhere from $2,500 - $3,500 in Y. For a bit over $3K I can do it in B class and use 20,000 points to upgrade on the AC transatlantic portion.

Quick way to earn +/-30,000 AQM.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 12:18 pm

Programs: AC 100K, AC 2MM, SAS Diamond, AA P; Avis CM
YVR - MEL: AC or other?

You can also try YYZ - PEK - MEL. AC and Air China. I've done it a couple times. Only 1 connection.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: Royal Ambassador/ SPG Platinum 75/Marriott gold
Originally Posted by The Lev
If you consider ~$200 US per direction to be cheap.
for 35" seat pitch? YAH.
Also UA is full award miles and AC would be 50% miles for tango.
UA is less expensive than AC so use that money to get a better seat.

If miles are not an issue buy a flight on Philippine Airlines.. they are the cheapest business class fare, maybe the best Y fare, i didn't check.
Old Nov 14, 2014, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC*SE 1MM. a bunch of hotel programs.
i've done this route on AC/QF a few times.
has anyone used Eva for this via TPE ? whats that like ?
Old Nov 17, 2014, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
*New related question twist

I am flying AC33/34 into/out of SYD.

Is there an arrivals lounge for AC/*G customers?

I want to do SYD MEL Business Class r/t on *A but there is no *A footprint now that Ansett is gone. Suggestions?

(I would be transferring at SYD same day both ways, will not be spending time in SYD at all and have no plans to exit SYD airport)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:18 pm

Avios between the two should be simple (and cheap!)
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by crimsona
Avios between the two should be simple (and cheap!)
I don't have any affiliation with Avios. I am ok with paying for Business Class...!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by yyznomad
I want to do SYD MEL Business Class r/t on *A but there is no *A footprint now that Ansett is gone. Suggestions?
Personally I think the flight is so short (an hour ish in the air) as to make business class pointless.

Your main options are:

Qantas
Virgin Australia
Jetstar
Tiger (would not recommend).
Old Nov 17, 2014, 5:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Cubiscus
Personally I think the flight is so short (an hour ish in the air) as to make business class pointless.

Your main options are:

Qantas
Virgin Australia
Jetstar
Tiger (would not recommend).
Thanks - my reasons for booking Business Class go beyond "just a short flight". To each their own.

I was hoping for actual tips for SYD connection from AC to a specific airline... I am fully aware of which airlines fly domestically in Australia!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.