YVR - MEL: AC or other?

Old Oct 30, 14, 7:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
YVR - MEL: AC or other?

For those that might know and be willing to help:

I have to get down to Melbourne next month, and was looking at YVR-SYD-MEL on AC with a cnx in Syd, YVR-LAX-MEL on AC/UA, or YVR-AKL-MEL on ANZ.

Will be booking in Y (or y+, preferred seat, etc), and obviously there is no quick way down.

Just wondering if anyone has any thoughts/experiences on one of those routes to share?

Thanks!
Old Oct 30, 14, 7:41 am
Formerly known as tireman77

Programs: ACA
My last trip Down Under, I used NZ via AKL. YVR-AKL-MEL is an easy connection and usually better priced than AC.

I'm not sure when you are planning on flying, but NZ will have their retrofitted 772s on that route shortly and it has a PE similar to AC's 787 PE. If Not, you can connect via LAX and definitely get the PE for the long segment.

Might not help the new minimum AC qualifying level though. depends on your alternate travelling.
Old Oct 30, 14, 8:11 am

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by tireman77 View Post
My last trip Down Under, I used NZ via AKL. YVR-AKL-MEL is an easy connection and usually better priced than AC.

I'm not sure when you are planning on flying, but NZ will have their retrofitted 772s on that route shortly and it has a PE similar to AC's 787 PE. If Not, you can connect via LAX and definitely get the PE for the long segment.

Might not help the new minimum AC qualifying level though. depends on your alternate travelling.
I recently flew the new 772. Nice aircraft. They now use the same AC system (same moving map, etc)

Not as nice as their 773s but it was a good bird.

You have to really decide if you want to clear customs in SYD or MEL.

The advantage of AKL is you only clear on your final destination. With SYD, you need to land, clear, get your bags, walk to QF, stand in line, drop bags, re-clear security, bus to domestic terminal. It isn't horrible...I've done it enough times. That is just the difference
Old Oct 30, 14, 8:19 am

I just remembered that UA now flies LAX-MEL on their new 789. Could be fun, but I'm betting its not an inexpensive option.
Old Oct 30, 14, 11:22 am

Programs: Qantas Silver, MileagePlus Silver
Try out UA. Probable route would be YVR-LAX-MEL on a 787.
Old Oct 30, 14, 11:50 am

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Would recommend PE on NZ and with a stopover in AKL
Old Oct 30, 14, 11:55 am

Programs: AC*E
In the past year or so, I've done YYZ-MEL a few times (AC, NZ and UA).

Price-wise (even with PE), UA worked out the best for me (to obtain 100% status miles), but it was painful to transfer through LAX (terminal change).

I didn't like NZ due to their arm rests (don't move all the way up if you have no one sitting next to you) and the timing wasn't as good (I try to sleep during the long segment, but that gets broken up due to the stop in AKL).

I didn't like AC due to the transfer to QF in Sydney - definitely not pleasant after finishing the long YVR-SYD segment. AC was also the most expensive (if you go for T+) with no miles on the SYD-MEL portion.

If I have to go again, I would likely go with UA.
Old Oct 30, 14, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by pxy_a View Post
In the past year or so, I've done YYZ-MEL a few times (AC, NZ and UA).

Price-wise (even with PE), UA worked out the best for me (to obtain 100% status miles), but it was painful to transfer through LAX (terminal change).

I didn't like NZ due to their arm rests (don't move all the way up if you have no one sitting next to you) and the timing wasn't as good (I try to sleep during the long segment, but that gets broken up due to the stop in AKL).
Interesting.

I know UA has E+, but I don't think they have PE

Also, NZ has a new PE product that will be on the YVR route, if it isn't already. Since YVR-AKL is 13 hours, I figure that would give you enough time to sleep.
Old Oct 30, 14, 4:17 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
If you fancy something a little different then YVR – HNL on AC, and HNL – MEL on Jetstar is a fun route. You’ll almost certainly need to buy it on two separate tickets so a few days stop off can work nicely.

The Jetstar fight is surprisingly good.
Old Oct 30, 14, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by Cubiscus View Post
If you fancy something a little different then YVR – HNL on AC, and HNL – MEL on Jetstar is a fun route. You’ll almost certainly need to buy it on two separate tickets so a few days stop off can work nicely.

The Jetstar fight is surprisingly good.
Wouldn't the YVR-HNL portion be on Rouge?
Old Oct 30, 14, 4:58 pm

Programs: VA Gold, BA Silver
Yep (downgraded as of a couple of years back I understand), so the OP would likely find the Jetstar section more pleasant.

Their Y+ section is really rather nice.
Old Oct 30, 14, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 100K, Alaska MVP Gold 75K, Marriott/SPG (Bonvoy?) Gold Elite/HHonors Gold
Thanks for all the replies.

I appreciate the feedback and info.

For the time of day of the flight, I ended up biting the bullet to book AC33 (Tango only, as Flex was over $1,000 more, and I only needed 3000 miles to requal for next year).

Connecting in SYD to Virgin... on a separate booking. Any experience with them?

I have flown Virgin America in J, and it was pretty good.

Also, if I wanted to try a star alliance upgrade for a later flight MNL-NRT, currently it shows not available. Is it worth checking back, or pretty much not going to happen?

Just curious, as never tried previously with star alliance upgrade.

Thanks.
Old Oct 31, 14, 12:41 am

Programs: a3G qf(nb) va
I'd strongly recommend avoiding a change of terminal in SYD.

SYD Intl to SYD Domestic involves either a train, bus or taxi & is not pleasant after a transpac. I think united flies SYD-MEL from SYD international though.
Old Nov 10, 14, 2:23 pm

Programs: Qantas FF Plat; AC 50K; Virgin Aust Silver; SPG, Accor Gold
Originally Posted by doubleflier View Post
<snip>

Connecting in SYD to Virgin... on a separate booking. Any experience with them?

I have flown Virgin America in J, and it was pretty good.

<snip>.
Bit late, sorry.

Virgin Australia are pretty good. Started off as LCC, but actually have moved towards mainline style. I have much higher status on Qantas than Virgin, but usually use Virgin as my domestic carrier.

May be worth buying a lounge day pass with Virgin's The Lounge at SYD domestic - showers and pretty nice amenities.

Originally Posted by status level flint View Post
I'd strongly recommend avoiding a change of terminal in SYD.

SYD Intl to SYD Domestic involves either a train, bus or taxi & is not pleasant after a transpac. I think united flies SYD-MEL from SYD international though.
You can't avoid a terminal change in Sydney if you are going International to Domestic (unless your point was to avoid SYD altogether and go to MEL ).

doubleflyer, you can check in your bags for the Virgin domestic flight at SYD international. No matter where you come out of the customs/immigration area, turn LEFT and they are at the end. then there is a free, Virgin bus right outside the door to the domestic terminal. Easy-peasy.

Last edited by RooFlyer; Nov 10, 14 at 2:31 pm
Old Nov 10, 14, 2:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE & MM/*Wood Gold/HHonors Diamond/Marriott Silver/AirMiles Gold
Originally Posted by RooFlyer View Post

doubleflyer, you can check in your bags for the Virgin domestic flight at SYD international. No matter where you come out of the customs/immigration area, turn LEFT and they are at the end. then there is a free, Virgin bus right outside the door to the domestic terminal. Easy-peasy.
Easy assuming 33 is on time

Search this Thread
Search Engine: