Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by Lllahim
I side with those who interpret cheapen as “to lower in esteem” because I believe that was what AC wanted to say and said it. It is consistent with “we are not a charity”. There is no need for AC to retract/apologize for being very clear on their aspiration. They want to reserve their premium cabin for top corporate executives such as bank presidents and vice presidents, top government officials like Ministers, deputy ministers and person of equivalent standing. Their ideal client is more the moneyed TLV pax. SQ, one of airlines AC wants to emulate, caters for the rich because Singapore has the most billionaires/Millionaires per capita in the world. When AC looks at the profile of its FF, they are probably not as impressed with their wealth and social standing. Sales people, consultants, repair men, IT vendors……are not exactly society elites in their book. They probably see them as ordinary people who just happen to travel a lot. I think it was Conrad Black who said something about making AC’s J cabins more exclusive. That is what they are doing. Good luck to them.
This truth is going to hurt on a forum full of sales people, consultants, repair men, IT vendors who just happen to travel (or rather fly) a lot
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:27 pm
Suspended

I side with those who interpret cheapen as “to lower in esteem” because I believe that was what AC wanted to say and said it. It is consistent with “we are not a charity”. There is no need for AC to retract/apologize for being very clear on their aspiration. They want to reserve their premium cabin for top corporate executives such as bank presidents and vice presidents, top government officials like Ministers, deputy ministers and person of equivalent standing. Their ideal client is more the moneyed TLV pax. SQ, one of airlines AC wants to emulate, caters for the rich because Singapore has the most billionaires/Millionaires per capita in the world. When AC looks at the profile of its FF, they are probably not as impressed with their wealth and social standing. Sales people, consultants, repair men, IT vendors……are not exactly society elites in their book. They probably see them as ordinary people who just happen to travel a lot. I think it was Conrad Black who said something about making AC’s J cabins more exclusive. That is what they are doing. Good luck to them.
TPAC I can still just purchase 2xFlex/PY plus 2xJ fare and qualify for SE. It's a grand total (if bought right) of around $12,000 in AC fares (plus my local connecting flights which add another $3K). Gets around 120K miles

I used to fly 6-8 Flex at a cost of around $15-20K, all upgraded, and achieved the same in fact I flew more miles. Gets around 120K miles

I just don't see how the same butt in their J seat (mine) but using less upgrades, makes their cabin any more exclusive. It's just a bit of a joke, isn't it.

Last edited by FlyerTalker683455; Dec 13, 2014 at 4:07 pm
Old Dec 13, 2014, 3:37 pm

It seems to me that there is an assumption that eup certs is free and we are getting something for free. It is not. It is earned by flying paid fares and therefore has a value to it. AC wants to to sell the seats ...lmu...for x dollars. So payment by credit card or payment by eup certs is still payment and NOT FREE.
Calling it free is tantamount to saying Aeroplan redemptions give you a free ticket. AP points have a dollar value for both earnings and redemptions and is NEVER free.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Allvest
TPAC I can still just purchase 2xFlex/PY plus 2xJ fare and qualify for SE. It's a grand total (if bought right) of around $12,000 in AC fares (plus my local connecting flights which add another $3K). Gets around 120K miles

I used to fly 6-8 Flex at a cost of around $15-20K, all upgraded, and achieved the same in fact I flew more miles. Gets around 120K miles

I just don't see how the same butt in their J seat (mine) but using less upgrades, makes their cabin any more exclusive. It's just a bit of a joke, isn't it.
It certainly is, isn't it? That is the way I am chosing to cheapen things. I am going to try to get SE with the lowest possible spend, and the least amount of time on an airplane. I recon I will fly 35% less, and spend 50% less, and still get SE. Cheapen that, AC.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
I They want to reserve their premium cabin for top corporate executives such as bank presidents and vice presidents, top government officials like Ministers, deputy ministers and person of equivalent standing...
I for one don't think that is what AC is looking to do. They will be more than happy to take anybody's money who is willing to pay for J. Much as there are many lawyers and consultants whom Gucci is happy to sell loafers to.

What they are hoping is that those you describe who have been relying on eUpgrades to sit in J while on business will magically convince our skinflint bosses to pay for it. ROTFLOL.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
So Ken, with all due respect, it is great to quote a series of dictionary definitions of a word. You still have to consider the context of the sentence or phrase in which the word is used, in order to determine which definition applies. For instance, if AC tries to sell a seat at X and, through an upgrade, you are able to purchase the seat at X/Y, regardless of the value of Y, have you not lowered the revenue for the seat? If you lower the revenue to the seller, have you not lowered the cost to the buyer? If you lower the cost to the buyer, have you not made the product cheaper? By your definition number 5, if you have made the product cheaper, have you not cheapened the product? From the stand point of the flyer, is that not the whole point to eupgrades? It is, in fact, to cheapen the product to the point where the flyer considers it to be worth while to use it. Instead of paying X for the seat, you will pay X/Y and use eupgrades. So, in order to prevent the product from being too cheap, AC has chosen to raise the value of the eupgrades. That is no insult to anyone, including myself, who chooses to use them.
Following your logic, they need to get rid of LMU or raise the price to match J.
For that matter discounted D and Z fares cheapen the full J, they should get rid of those too.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:05 pm

Programs: Presto
Originally Posted by After Burner
Why not?
...always stirring the pot. Don't you have your own Frequent Flyer Program to manage?
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by The Lev
I for one don't think that is what AC is looking to do. They will be more than happy to take anybody's money who is willing to pay for J. Much as there are many lawyers and consultants whom Gucci is happy to sell loafers to.
+1. The poster also mentioned certain jobs as being "superior" to others. Heck, even I make more $ than some of those roles. How does that make that role superior? What nonsense.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:30 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
One upside of the new Altitude 2015 program that I thought i'd point out.

Edited

Last edited by superangrypenguin; Feb 22, 2015 at 4:26 pm
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Free Agent
it would be great to be able to do this on line.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 7:44 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by canolakid
Thanks for the suggestion. I'll post it in the Ben thread
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Normally you can do this online

When you go to make a booking, click the box that says "show fares available for upgrade". When you click on Flex a dialogue box opens up telling you whether seats are available for upgrade and offering an alternative (more expensive of course) requiring fewer upgrades.

They have this for International and domestic flights but for some odd reason it doesn't seem to work for US destinations????
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by The Lev
When you go to make a booking, click the box that says "show fares available for upgrade". When you click on Flex a dialogue box opens up telling you whether seats are available for upgrade and offering an alternative (more expensive of course) requiring fewer upgrades.

They have this for International and domestic flights but for some odd reason it doesn't seem to work for US destinations????
I've seen this. However, this doesn't work for all domestic and transborder flights. When i've done this, it's hit and miss (50% of the time it'll let me do this?). And clicking this i'm pretty sure if I can count on IBM being IBM, books you into a M fare, and not the cheapest upgradable fare as now it's M U and H. I'm not totally sure though...
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:07 pm

Programs: Free Agent
with DL and even Ewunited, I can specify a specific fare class. Some advantage some times to higher fare class so it is nice to be able to check. With AC, the difference vis a vis eUp's makes this ability to check by fare class vs just upgradeable bucket more desirable IMO.
Old Dec 13, 2014, 8:08 pm
Suspended

with DL and even Ewunited, I can specify a specific fare class. Some advantage some times to higher fare class so it is nice to be able to check. With AC, the difference vis a vis eUp's makes this ability to check by fare class vs just upgradeable bucket more desirable IMO.
Thanks. I have suggested it in the Ben thread and made sure to give you credit for the idea ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.