Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
• Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
• Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
• Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
• Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
• Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance™ member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the “high Flex” eligibility category to include the “U” and “H” booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the “U” booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the ‘higher Flex’ eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite™ 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude™ for 2015 were announced. As always, we’ve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance™ member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canada’s focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2014, 2:15 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Exclamation review from Inside Flyer

Inside Flyer (Dec 2014) published a review of AP's top tier changes. IMO they nailed it i.e. AP has become a program for elite travelers:

Air Canada Changes Path to Elite Status

Air Canada is changing the minimum Air Canada flight requirements to obtain Altitude elite level status for 2016.

Currently and for the 2015 Altitude membership year, along with the membership thresholds starting at 25,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles (AQM) or 25 Altitude Qualifying Segments (AQS), members must earn at least 10,000 AQM or five AQS on eligible flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge.

The threshold requirements for Altitude membership in 2016 will stay the same, but flyers will have to fly higher AQM or AQS on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express or Air Canada rouge as follows: Prestige 25K 12,500 AQM or 12 AQS, Elite 35K 17,500 AQM or 17 AQS, Elite 50K 25,000 AQM or 25 AQS, Elite 75K 37,500 AQM or 37 AQS and Super Elite 100K 50,000 AQM or 47 AQS. As before, AQM earned in conjunction with the purchase of an Unlimited Flight Pass will count toward the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.

Other changes for Air Canada elite-level members are coming in March. As of March 1, 2015, there will no longer be a 500-mile minimum for flights--all flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines will earn miles by distance flown. Also as of March 1, 2015, there will be changes to Altitude eUpgrades including an increase in the number of eUpgrade credits required to get an upgrade. More information about these changes will be announced later this year.

If you are an Altitude Elite 35K member, you will not have the option to choose complementary Maple Leaf Lounge and Star Alliance Business Lounge access with Select Privileges, but instead, will be able to choose a 50 percent discount on a Maple Leaf Lounge membership.

In a bit of good news, for reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on Classic Flight awards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members. Classic Flight award fuel surcharges for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members. The waiver for fuel surcharges are for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge. You can read more about all of these changes, by visiting http://www.insideflyer.com/link/?11808

Bottom line: Altitude is becoming more of an elite level for Air Canada flyers only. At the highest level, Super Elite 100K, members will have to fly 40,000 more miles solely on Air Canada carriers than in the past. Altitude is the elite level program of Air Canada. Aeroplan has its own elite level called Distinction.

(NB Inside Flyer is a subscription service, so I cut & paste their review!)
Old Dec 1, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Inside Flyer (Dec 2014) published a review of AP's top tier changes. IMO they nailed it i.e. AP has become a program for elite travelers:
What they said is that Altitude is becoming more of an elite level for Air Canada flyers only. In other words, The Air Canada Elite Flyer program is becoming more of an elite level for Air Canada flyers. Kind of like saying that the Starwood Preferred Guest program is an elite level for people who stay in Starwood hotels.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
What they said is that Altitude is becoming more of an elite level for Air Canada flyers only. In other words, The Air Canada Elite Flyer program is becoming more of an elite level for Air Canada flyers. Kind of like saying that the Starwood Preferred Guest program is an elite level for people who stay in Starwood hotels.
+1 - Like your quote a lot.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:34 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
Year after year I fly 200k+ only to stand in line with E75's, E50's, E35's and the rest of the bottom feeders. I think these are great changes and I am looking forward to giving E75's the finger as I board Zone 1 on my next flight.
Stop complaining and start flying.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 5:48 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by AirCanadaFlyer
Year after year I fly 200k+ only to stand in line with E75's, E50's, E35's and the rest of the bottom feeders. I think these are great changes and I am looking forward to giving E75's the finger as I board Zone 1 on my next flight.
DYKWIA much?
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:29 pm

Programs: AC SE 200K, SPG PLAT, HH DIAMOND
Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
DYKWIA much?
O, I know who I am, and I'm better than the rest.....
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
O, I know who I am, and I'm better than the rest.....
And you're flying commercial? pfft
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..

I can't tell if you wrote this as a challenge or to be funny because, well, I laughed. If, on the other hand you were serious, then wear a sign so I can shake your hand if I see you in the MLL.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:38 pm

Programs: AC SE100K
Originally Posted by 24left
I can't tell if you wrote this as a challenge or to be funny because, well, I laughed. If, on the other hand you were serious, then wear a sign so I can shake your hand if I see you in the MLL.
+1
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:39 pm

The changes are really becoming academic. In July next year all fares to LHR is available but no space for upgrades. "no more seats are available for upgrades. Choose other dates". Yes, even for S100k flyers. So it may not even be a program for highest level elites as upgrades will be soon a thing of the past..IMHO
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ac777
In July next year all fares to LHR is available but no space for upgrades. "no more seats are available for upgrades. Choose other dates". Yes, even for S100k flyers.
Upgrade inventory is the same regardless of status.

Recent change, apart from higher credits requirement, is that now that Latitude upgrades into P, R has more or less vanished.

With significant effect on IKK too BTW.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat Amb
The changes are really becoming academic. In July next year all fares to LHR is available but no space for upgrades.
Only upgrades from Latitude fares seem to be available (P), nothing for SE IKK reward redemptions (R) to take advantage of the elimination of YQ. Lots of availability on BA though, here's a handy tool to check: http://www.baredemptionfinder.com/
Old Dec 1, 2014, 6:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
The changes are really becoming academic. In July next year all fares to LHR is available but no space for upgrades. "no more seats are available for upgrades. Choose other dates". Yes, even for S100k flyers. So it may not even be a program for highest level elites as upgrades will be soon a thing of the past..IMHO
Do you have any upgrade credits for next year? I upgrades flights last Friday to LHR for the July long weekend(June 29-July 5).
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:00 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Titanium, National Executive
Originally Posted by YEG2MM
Actually, it's not.
Starwood has many independently owned brands and you can earn at any brand and get status recognition at any brand.
Imagine if westin says that next year, platinum suite upgrades are only available to members who stay 50% at westin hotels.

They are correct in pointing out that Altitude used to be a decent program for any Star Alliance FF, now it is only a decent program for Air Canada FFs.
Old Dec 1, 2014, 7:17 pm

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
Do you have any upgrade credits for next year? I upgrades flights last Friday to LHR for the July long weekend(June 29-July 5).
I just crossed 180k last weekend, so I should have credits expiring 2016! Unless of course rules have changed while I was not looking.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.