Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:32 am

Programs: AC 75K / *A Gold
Originally Posted by FlyerJ
If you want to put a comparison chart in a big newspaper ad, try this for fun:
Column 1: What a 35 segment or 35,000 mile customer got 2 years ago
Column 2: What they got last year
Column 3: What they get this year, thanks to last week's changes

Oh wait, that would be an awful advertisement for Air Canada to run. That should be a Westjet ad!
That'd be fun to see in a newspaper... Would contribute to that... Crowdfunding maybe?
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:43 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
AC VS WS AD
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:45 am

Programs: AC 50k 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium Elite
Thinking about what somebody said up thread, maybe a newspaper isn't the best medium. Why not set up a Facebook page asking why AC killed their FF program? Or come up with a set of hastags that we all use such as #ACAltitudeisdead? Given the combined reach and voice of this forum, a sustained campaign might just work.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Shareholder
As some here suspected might happen, AC has a full page ad in many of today's dailies comparing Altitude with WS's FF program. The heading is:
"Not all Golds carry the same weight."

It goes on:
"Some rewards are more valuable than others. Only Air Canada Altitude offers members the utmost in comfort, convenience, and service, with access to benefits like:

AIR CANADA ALTITUDE Frequent Flyer Program:
Up to 3 complimentary checked bags with complimentary sports equipment handling
Priority Seat Selection
Up to unlimited access to Air Canada's extensive number of Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance member airline lounges
Priority baggage handling, priority check-in, priority reservations services
Priority boarding
Upgrades to Business Class
Access to any unsold seat in Economy Class
Up to unlimited complimentary Preferred Seat selection with more leg room
Air Canada concierge service
Air Canada Duty Free Boutique discount
Accelerated Status Recognition with travel partners
Exclusive Partner Offers
Recognition within the Star Alliance network
Access to over 1500 daily flights and over 180 destinations

OTHER CANADIAN Frequent Flyer Program:
Up to 2 checked bags
Up to 4 advanced seat selections
10 free lounge vouchers
Priority screening
Advance boarding
Companion flights
Access to 526 daily flights and 88 destinations
So they raise the minimum AC metal at super short notice, effectively stripping a whole bunch of us of Gold status and then they run big adverts telling us how good AC Gold status is? That's weird. I guess they must be talking to the customers they still want in the programme.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: AC 75K / *A Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Air Canada Duty Free Boutique discount
Don't forget this outstanding benefit of flying 75K miles with AC
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:05 am

Programs: AC*SE100K , HH DIAMOND, MARRIOTT PLATINUM
I've gone from the occasional flex buyer to strictly lowest fare, I'm stuck with air canada being based out of Montreal unless I want to fly to Toronto just to fly east...

I'm a segment based 110 flyer last year and fly just under 60k miles a year. I'm not happy with the changes but based of my experience this year alone, I've been opped up 12 times without having to use my credits and expect as the planes get fuller next year, that this will happen more and more.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:06 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Originally Posted by RTW70
So they raise the minimum AC metal at super short notice, effectively stripping a whole bunch of us of Gold status and then they run big adverts telling us how good AC Gold status is? That's weird. I guess they must be talking to the customers they still want in the programme.
At the minimum this shows that there might be a bit of a panic in the AC boardroom WRT losing their best customers. I agree that a sustained social media campaign will probably reverse most of these changes.

As for posting images of itineraries booked with other airlines, while some might say it's a waste of time and should just move on; however I think if there are enough people showing booked international J with other airlines it will not be difficult to tally them up to show a significant $$$ that AC just lost. Money talks.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:08 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by BlondeBomber
Thanks!
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:08 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE*2MM. SPG Plat life
What's the short notice on metal? Nothing was changed to effect 2015 status. These changes will only effect 2016 status. If you do the majority of flying with a partner airline, join the partner airline FF program. You will still have benefits on your AC flights.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:09 am

Programs: AC SE (*A Gold), Bonvoy Platinum Elite, Hilton Gold, Amex Platinum / AP Reserve, NEXUS, Global Entry
Originally Posted by YYT82
however I think if there are enough people showing booked international J with other airlines it will not be difficult to tally them up to show a significant $$$ that AC just lost. Money talks.
Sure, but if AC's financials aren't affected, posting those itins will make absolutely no difference.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:12 am

Originally Posted by Wpgjetse
What's the short notice on metal? Nothing was changed to effect 2015 status. These changes will only effect 2016 status. If you do the majority of flying with a partner airline, join the partner airline FF program. You will still have benefits on your AC flights.
The short notice hurts people who spent 2014 accumulating miles to qualify for 2015 benefits on an airline they won't be flying in 2015 because they know they won't meet the 2016 metal requirements. With proper notice, they would've spent 2014 accumulating miles in another program and not having useless status (or status in the "wrong" alliance) in 2015.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:23 am

The short notice was the fact that I have booked a lot of my 2015 flights already so I will lose my status with AC for 2016. I haven't booked enough AC metal. Who would have thought the minimums would go up that much with so little notice?

For instance - I have a couple of LH flights into Canada from Frankfurt. e.g. FRA to YVR. Oops. Codeshare, but not AC metal. Lost status!

Last edited by RTW70; Nov 3, 2014 at 8:29 am
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:37 am
Suspended

The short notice was the fact that I have booked a lot of my 2015 flights already so I will lose my status with AC for 2016. I haven't booked enough AC metal. Who would have thought the minimums would go up that much with so little notice?

For instance - I have a couple of LH flights into Canada from Frankfurt. e.g. FRA to YVR. Oops. Codeshare, but not AC metal. Lost status!
No problem. You basically have 2 months to join the partners airline FF program before Jan. 1. Uses their FF number on the flights, which give you 1 year to get status, well using AC status for lounge etc. Then in 2016, you can use partners FF status for your bags, MML, etc on AC flights.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
No problem. You basically have 2 months to join the partners airline FF program before Jan. 1. Uses their FF number on the flights, which give you 1 year to get status, well using AC status for lounge etc. Then in 2016, you can use partners FF status for your bags, MML, etc on AC flights.
That is only if you are changing to United. For me changing to OO, I would have been able to concentrate all my US travel to one carrier (I split between United, DL and AA/US, even a few Jetblue), and already would have had status.
Old Nov 3, 2014, 8:44 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ffsim
The short notice hurts people who spent 2014 accumulating miles to qualify for 2015 benefits on an airline they won't be flying in 2015 because they know they won't meet the 2016 metal requirements. With proper notice, they would've spent 2014 accumulating miles in another program and not having useless status (or status in the "wrong" alliance) in 2015.
You would have the same problem even if they gave you 12 months notice if you were changing alliance. If you stay with *A, the only effect on benefits would be upgrades on the partner airline until you gain status with them. You would still have upgrades for AC metal in this time period.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.