Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 1, 2014, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mendy7511
Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015 23 October

This afternoon, we will be announcing changes to certain elements of Air Canada Altitude in 2015, as well as new features to the program.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
The Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement to reach Altitude status for 2016 is increasing. To qualify for Altitude status in 2016, the following Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement will need to be met:
Prestige 25K: 12,500 AQM /12 AQS
Elite 35K: 17,500 AQM /17 AQS
Elite 50K: 25,000 AQM /25 AQS
Elite 75K: 37,500 AQM / 37 AQS
Super Elite 100K: 50,000 AQM / 47 AQS
The new MFR will not impact qualification for Altitude 2015.

500 Mile Minimum
For travel as of March 1, 2015, mileage accrual will no longer be rounded up to a 500 Mile minimum. Miles earned will be based on the distance flown and the fare option purchased for flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express, Air Canada rouge and Star Alliance member airlines.

eUpgrades to Business Class
For eUpgrade requests made on or after March 1, 2015, the number of eUpgrade Credits required to upgrade is increasing. The number of eUpgrade Credits you can earn through the Threshold eUpgrades program is also changing. These changes were made following a thorough benchmarking of the upgrades practices of other major international airlines who often limit international upgrades solely to their highest membership tier, and often severely limit the number of upgrades a member may request over the course of a year.

We will also be expanding the high Flex eligibility category to include the U and H booking classes on the Domestic, Transborder and Sun markets, as well as the U booking class on International markets. The inclusion of these booking classes within the higher Flex eligibility category actually decreases the number of credits required to upgrade flights on certain markets when compared to 2014.

For eUpgrade credit requirements as of March 1, 2015, visit: http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

eUpgrades to Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to access the comfort of Premium Economy using eUpgrade Credits, when upgrading from an eligible fare. eUpgrade Add-ons will not apply for these upgrades.

eUpgrade Nominees
Beginning March 1, 2015, Altitude Super Elite 100K members will be entitled to share their eUpgrade privileges with one eUpgrade Nominee. Members will maintain their ability to share their eUpgrade privileges with Travel Companions.

Priority Boarding
In early 2015, a new streamlined boarding process will be introduced to ensure that you get even more out of the Priority Boarding privilege.

Complimentary access to International Maple Leaf Lounges and Star Alliance Business Lounges
As lounge occupancy grows, many of our lounges are at capacity levels. And while we continue to invest in many lounge expansion projects, the reality is that in many locations, additional space is simply not available. At the same time, benchmarking shows us that our eligibility polices are still over-indexed as compared to many of our competitors. In particular, access to lounges is not a privilege offered by most international airlines at the 35,000 qualifying miles level. We have therefore modified our policy whereby Elite 35K members will continue to have access to Maple Leaf Lounges located in the domestic and trans-border departure zones, as well as those in Los Angeles and New York (LaGuardia). However access to International Maple Leaf Lounges or Star Alliance Business lounges will no longer be available as a Select Privilege. Instead, an option to purchase a Maple Leaf Club membership will be introduced with a 50% discount.

Priority Rewards
In order to maintain the integrity of the Priority Reward privilege for eligible Altitude members, Priority Rewards will be limited to ten (10) reservations (with up to 9 passengers each) per member per benefit period, beginning March 1, 2015. While a thorough analysis has indicated that this change will not impact the vast majority of members (over 95%), it will allow us to maintain a benefit which we know is widely appreciated.

Flight Rewards for Premium Economy
In early 2015, you will be able to redeem Aeroplan miles for seats in the Premium Economy cabin on Air Canada. Details will be coming soon.

Fuel Surcharge on Flight Rewards & Flight Reward change fee waivers
For reservations made as of March 1, 2015, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight rewards for travel within Canada and between Canada and the U.S. will be waived for all Altitude members (ie. 25K and higher) . This is applicable on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

At the same time, Aeroplan Flight Reward change fee waivers for Super Elite 100K members will no longer be available for changes made on or after March 1, 2015. However, the fuel surcharges on ClassicFlight Rewards for travel between Canada and international destinations will be waived for Super Elite 100K members on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge.

For a complete list of details regarding these changes, visit http://www.aircanada.com/en/aeroplan...e/updates.html

New REVISED REVISIONS to the Altitude Program (Oct 31 email)

=============
Last week, changes to Air Canada Altitude for 2015 were announced. As always, weve been listening to your feedback and will be adjusting certain elements of the program accordingly.

Threshold eUpgrades
The amount of eUpgrade Credits offered through the Threshold eUpgrade program will increase. As of 100,000 Altitude Qualifying Miles or 100 Altitude Qualifying Segments, 20 eUpgrade Credits will be awarded for every 40,000 AQM or 40 AQS flown.

eUpgrade Validity Date
eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 7, 2014 will be valid until February 29, 2016.
Additionally, eUpgrade Credits earned on or after November 1, 2015 will be valid until February 28, 2017.

Mile Minimum
For travel from March 1, 2015 onwards, all Altitude members will earn a minimum of 250 miles on flights operated by Air Canada, Air Canada Express and Air Canada rouge as well as Star Alliance member airlines.

Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement
For non-Canadian residents, the Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement needed to reach Altitude status in 2016 will be 50% lower than the recently published Minimum Air Canada Flight Requirement.
These changes are representative of Air Canadas focus on recognizing our most valued and important members. We remain committed to offering you one of the best frequent flyer programs in the industry.

Air Canada
Print Wikipost

Important updates to Air Canada Altitude in 2015

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:15 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Originally Posted by YQMer
This is exactly my interpretation as well. I understand we're all ticked off, but if we want to be constructive here in our criticisms, IMHO, we may want to avoid the references to "us" cheapening the J product. I'm sure Ben now deeply regrets the choice of words, but its not like our forum posts go through any of our respective communications units... clearly...
I don't disagree, Ben like all of us likely loves working for AC and believes in what his company is doing. Some of his posts suggest extreme frustration that we do not see the business sense of what the are doing. I think the words and expressions he is using come right out of the meetings and strategy sessions he has been in, and therefore are exactly in context.

Again. I see why they are doing it, I just don't agree, but that is from my particular vantage point. It appears that I am far from alone. Will losing a couple hundred grand from me and my company mean anything in the big picture ? I don't know, what I do know is they have gone to great lengths in the past to keep me, so it is a bit baffling.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:21 am

Programs: AC E50K, MM, BA, Delta, PriorityClub Platinum, Marriott Gold.
I am gonna stop posting, as "what's the point?", I think we've all made the points that needed to be made... I think for me, here's a summary of a balanced response to the changes:

- Most ppl understand business constraints here, and why AC may need to make some changes
- Changes to program to fund new hard and soft products should come AFTER those new products are offered NOT before!
- NO ONE automatically starts paying J, just because AC decides to change policies... J-product purchase is 90% determined by the company policies of Frequent Flyers
- AC J-product is WAY BEHIND international competitors, yet more expensive. Hence, if one needs to purchase a J-class, the only incentive in the past was the benefits offered under Altitude, if those are taken away, J-class purchases most likely will go down!
- AC new Y-class, and new J-class on 77P are some of the worst products offered, hence, no incentive to pay-up for such products
- 50% Metal requirement is just way too much, specially for folks who have no chance but flying on routes where AC metal is not offered (YVR-FRA), while 10% was too low, why a 500% increase?
- The changes completely take away incentives to go for SE, and even less incentives to go for E50, E35... people would probably just look for the best seat/plane for their trip instead
- Upgrading a frequent flyer that spends MONTHS of their lives on your planes and lounges, and contribute hundreds of Thousands of dollars over the years to your bottom line, does NOT CHEAPEN the J-class, PERIOD!
- Cutting a benefit by 65-75% is NOT an adjustment, it's NOT a tweak, it's a decimation of those benefits and simply CANNOT BE JUSTIFIED in the current environment where profits are the highest, and gas prices the lowest in a decade!
- Even from a business perspective, these changes MAY NOT produce the actual revenue goals it has designed to do, as people simply take their business away

Bottom line, the massive changes have to be rolled back, to probably somewhere between 2014 and 2015 program when it comes to eUps, metal requirement, min. miles... and that's being VERY generous, as specially E50s and below saw massive cuts last couple of years.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium, Lifetime Plat, (now an AC nobody)
Originally Posted by ridefar
We do pay for it. With eUps. Which are another form of currency in AC's and the FF's mind.

Not being facetious--it helps a lot to think of eUps as a form of currency.
Totally agree. Those eUps were earned through purchasing higher flex fares. In essence, every time a customer buys a flex fare for 100% earning miles, the differential should be seen as a credit.

So for AC to say SE's are getting J upgrades for "free", that's bologna! Nothing is free in this world. You have paid for it, through higher Flex fares!

It's like saying Canadians get free health care. Nothing could be further from the truth! Dollars that are spent on health care are taken from our exhorbitant income taxes. Yes folks, WE ARE PAYING for health care.

Anyway, I'm done venting now. I am not even a SE and this is getting me all riled up.

AC, having a 50% AC requirement if you had coverage around the world is one thing, but you do not. Imposing that requirement on me when I have NO CHOICE but to fly the 2nd and 3rd leg of my itinerary with another *A carrier, is preposterous.

You have just given me reason to switch to UA. Wish you luck when the next recession happens AC. Hope you don't drown in red ink.

Last edited by CanRulez; Oct 26, 2014 at 9:31 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:25 am

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
Originally Posted by canopus27
If that's the path for AC to make more money overall, then it's honestly the path they should go down. They are a business, and they need to make more money.

Personally, I don't think this will make them more money - in fact I think it will cost them money that they won't be able to quickly recover, because they are also hurting loyalty.

The big picture play in this is reasonably obvious to understand. AC believe that there are both companies and individuals who would be prepared to pay for J, but are not because they think they can get it "for free" instead.

The real question is whether longer term "loyalty" of individual customers is really worth it. Clearly it costs AC something to keep us loyal - whether those costs are the real cost of the Penguin's bar bill or the opportunity cost of a "free" upgrade.

As they take those benefits away, the question is whether AC can turn the perceived lost value (opportunity cost) of paid J tickets, into real dollars -- faster than they lose dollars as grumpy, no longer loyal customers choose to fly another airline instead.
I agree and i understand if it makes them more money then great but i too doubt it will. I just find it interesting that many on here who have companies that allow them to pay double for flex are okay with seeing Tango benefits disappear will cry when flex is next.

hotels recognize that with competition loyalty is invaluable. and when you lose customers who spend 30k even at the low end of fares to the competition since there is no loyalty it will hurt and you need to then ensure you see those high end latitude and J class fares to make up for it.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:28 am

Originally Posted by alexbc
I am gonna stop posting, as "what's the point?", I think we've all made the points that needed to be made... I think for me, here's a summary of a balanced response to the changes:

- Most ppl understand business constraints here, and why AC may need to make some changes
- Changes to program to fund new hard and soft products should come AFTER those new products are offered NOT before!
- NO ONE automatically starts paying J, just because AC decides to change policies... J-product purchase is 90% determined by the company policies of Frequent Flyers
- AC J-product is WAY BEHIND international competitors, yet more expensive. Hence, if one needs to purchase a J-class, the only incentive in the past was the benefits offered under Altitude, if those are taken away, J-class purchases most likely will go down!
- AC new Y-class, and new J-class on 77P are some of the worst products offered, hence, no incentive to pay-up for such products
- 50% Metal requirement is just way too much, specially for folks who have no chance but flying on routes where AC metal is not offered (YVR-FRA), while 10% was too low, why a 500% increase?
- The changes completely take away incentives to go for SE, and even less incentives to go for E50, E35... people would probably just look for the best seat/plane for their trip instead
- Upgrading a frequent flyer that spends MONTHS of their lives on your planes and lounges, and contribute hundreds of Thousands of dollars over the years to your bottom line, does NOT CHEAPEN the J-class, PERIOD!
- Cutting a benefit by 65-75% is NOT an adjustment, it's NOT a tweak, it's a decimation of those benefits and simply CANNOT BE JUSTIFIED in the current environment where profits are the highest, and gas prices the lowest in a decade!
- Even from a business perspective, these changes MAY NOT produce the actual revenue goals it has designed to do, as people simply take their business away

Bottom line, the massive changes have to be rolled back, to probably somewhere between 2014 and 2015 program when it comes to eUps, metal requirement, min. miles... and that's being VERY generous, as specially E50s and below saw massive cuts last couple of years.

+1. I agree and I share the anger.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canopus27
If that's the path for AC to make more money overall, then it's honestly the path they should go down. They are a business, and they need to make more money.

Personally, I don't think this will make them more money - in fact I think it will cost them money that they won't be able to quickly recover, because they are also hurting loyalty.

The big picture play in this is reasonably obvious to understand. AC believe that there are both companies and individuals who would be prepared to pay for J, but are not because they think they can get it "for free" instead.

The real question is whether longer term "loyalty" of individual customers is really worth it. Clearly it costs AC something to keep us loyal - whether those costs are the real cost of the Penguin's bar bill or the opportunity cost of a "free" upgrade.

As they take those benefits away, the question is whether AC can turn the perceived lost value (opportunity cost) of paid J tickets, into real dollars -- faster than they lose dollars as grumpy, no longer loyal customers choose to fly another airline instead.
Well said!

Canada has a population of about 35 million.
The US is 315 million.

If there was a market willing to *pay* for a North American 5 star airline, I would think it would come first from the U.S.

The key 2 words in your comment; would be

Last edited by nowinyow; Oct 26, 2014 at 9:39 am
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by CanRulez
Totally agree. Those eUps were earned through purchasing higher flex fares. In essence, every time a customer buys a flex fare for 100% earning miles, the differential should be seen as a credit.

So for AC to say SE's are getting J upgrades for "free", that's bologna! Nothing is free in this world. You have paid for it, through higher Flex fares!

It's like saying Canadians get free health care. Nothing could be further from the truth! Dollars that are spent on health care are taken from our exhorbitant income taxes. Yes folks, WE ARE PAYING for health care.

Anyway, I'm done venting now. I am not even a SE and this is getting me all riled up.
+1 again. Air canada makes zero sense
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by theseatbelt
+1 again. Air canada makes zero sense
Your post this morning, Mr. seatbelt, was hands down the best post I have seen on this thread. (not the funniest, but the one with most meat). I thank you for that, even though you didn't charge em $700
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Your post this morning, Mr. seatbelt, was hands down the best post I have seen on this thread. (not the funniest, but the one with most meat). I thank you for that, even though you didn't charge em $700
Which post is that again? I've had way too many posts out of anger and frustration. Helps me relieve my high blood pressure.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:34 am

Programs: AC*SE100K 1MM, Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Ya, I'm done as well, as I'm just repeating myself now. I'll leave it with this for those that missed it. I felt pretty low upgrading my ATL YYZ flight this Tuesday flight pass booking knowing what AC thinks about it now. I'm sure that wasn't their intention, but it was certainly the result.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:35 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by LockheedElectra
I don't disagree, Ben like all of us likely loves working for AC and believes in what his company is doing. Some of his posts suggest extreme frustration that we do not see the business sense of what the are doing. I think the words and expressions he is using come right out of the meetings and strategy sessions he has been in, and therefore are exactly in context.

Again. I see why they are doing it, I just don't agree, but that is from my particular vantage point. It appears that I am far from alone. Will losing a couple hundred grand from me and my company mean anything in the big picture ? I don't know, what I do know is they have gone to great lengths in the past to keep me, so it is a bit baffling.
I'm baffled too. A very very risky move for sure, and one that I don't think will pay off in the long run either.

I wonder sometimes though whether some of these strategy decisions aren't coloured a bit too much by trying to get at what AC might see as abusers of the system. We see this in many large organizations I feel, where, out of sheer principle, we're prepared to spend a little extra money (or loose a extra revenue perhaps in this case) to avoid having people "game" the system to any extent. A couple of points on this though (in my experience) is that we often are very pessimistic in terms of what impacts these perceived negative behaviours have on the bottom line. The math often is "worse case scenario", but it never really goes that far. Conversely, we're often very optimistic when we anticipate what people's reactions will be to more controls/less benefits. We think people value a fair system more and will understand why we make the choices we do. Reality is that nobody wants to feel like they're part of a problem or viewed as an abuser and no-one likes losing what they feel they've earned or become accustomed to. People take great insult to that and it's a relationship buster for sure.

Obviously AC has done the math, and made some assumptions on some of this. I think too that they see many on this board to be on the further edge of the bell curve. Time will tell if the gamble pays off.

Programs: AC SE; SPG Platnium; HH G
+1. I agree and I share the anger.
+1 too - i think that makes three now!

I guess all the hotels and rental car companies are idiots in offering free upgrades and are running horrible businesses by not forcing people to pay double the price or more if they want more than the basics - even if they buy from you 50 times a year or more.
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
Which post is that again? I've had way too many posts out of anger and frustration. Helps me relieve my high blood pressure.
I goofed. You posted last night, but I read it this morning.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/23736274-post1102.html

As far as posting relieving high BP, I'm with you there
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by tomvancouver
YVR-FRA is another example. I'll get no AC metal credit because its operated by LH.
BUT the AC/LH agreement means that AC gets half the revenue. So shouldn't I get half the AC metal credit? Its not like there are many options to Europe on AC from YVR, without connections. Just LHR, and connecting there is a mess
Eh, any self-respecting bottom feeder will fly from YVR to FRA via YYC.

(I have occasionally flown from YYC to LHR via YVR. When upgrades were unavailable on the nonstop. But tha was before the sardine cans.)
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:36 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by Dorian
77P is a piece of crap, even the FA's say it. No point even replying.
I have heard the 77P referred to as "the slave ship" on a few occasions.

And yes, it is a piece of crap, I've the misfortune of being stuck on that hell ship twice. Once was due to equipment swap.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.