Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

FAQ: Air Canada New meal offerings for International Business Class Customers

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2018, 6:03 pm

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by songsc

Theroritically yes. But the crew may give you some attitude for your special request.
Did this recently on a TPAC- made the request at boarding that the main be held til later. SD informed the FA and they put my choice in the frig. When I was ready to eat, FA needed 20 min to reheat.

Out of consideration for the busyness of pre-arrival service, would be a good idea to make the request for 'your' dinner to be a bit of time before they are therming the omelets...
Old Apr 8, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by yyznomad
@Transpacificflyer
I hope AC is reading your constructive criticism. (yes, they still do read FT despite many here who refuse to believe this).

My understanding is that you fly other airlines in J (I could be wrong). Comparing equal cabin of service to cabin of service, which airlines would you prefer AC try to aspire to?

Perhaps LH? I often find their offerings in C to be light and just right. Nothing too heavy or salty/etc.
Perhaps some of the Asian carriers?

Of course, aside from the occasional dish on AC international J menus that are inspired by the destination city/country, the rest of the fare is typically "North American", for the lack of a better description. So it might be of value to include a North American carrier that offers J with better food than AC. Although I fly other airlines as well, I rarely fly the US carriers (once or twice a year at most, in the last decade).
Sorry for delay, I was traveling and will post some more of my experience on some of my more recent AC flights. I have come to the conclusion that the issue of catering has a lot to do with the Canadian contractors and not just Air Canada. The caterers are just not very good. Where AC fails is that it doesn't seem to supervise the way SQ , AF or LH does. I don't think AC is trying to cut corners, but there is something awfully wrong when the Canadian caterer keeps buggering up Canadian beef or a basic chicken breast. There is no excuse for low quality dinner rolls in a country that produces some of the finest baking grains in the world. Air Canada asks for a fruit plate, but the caterer provides the same plate construction no matter the season. We all know that there are seasons for certain fruits. Is it so hard to substitute berries, or certain types of citrus? The last orange and grapefruit slices I had were just awful and that's because they were not in season. The caterer should use appropriate in season fruits and vegetables. For example, there is no need to keep using asparagus when it is out of season and the only type available is the dry starchy variety from Peru.

To answer your question; If I were to compare with some of AC's competitors on the routes I fly, I would like to have the quality come up to the consistency of KLM, Cathay or EVA. I try to avoid US air carriers because of my past experience, so I cannot comment about American or even United now. Delta has been slightly better than AC on long haul, and I haven't had a meal on DL domestic in eons. I fly mostly in Asia, and am quite satisfied with Cathay's regional/short haul options which I find are better than Air Canada domestic. Everyone raves about Thai Airways meals, but I don't like them (Not Thai enough for me.) I have flown on both Air China and China Eastern in the past year and can say that Air Canada has nothing to worry about when it comes to onboard service or F&B LOL. I know some people love the NH/JL catering and others rave about Asiana, but I found that AC was better at meeting my dining preferences.

On a positive note, I am noticing an improvement in the wine selection. I guess now that the sommelier has had an opportunity to work through some of the inventory she inherited, she can make her own selections. Anyway, I think AC made a good move in retaining her services.
Old Apr 8, 2018, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
On a positive note, I am noticing an improvement in the wine selection. I guess now that the sommelier has had an opportunity to work through some of the inventory she inherited, she can make her own selections. Anyway, I think AC made a good move in retaining her services.
That would be good.

But I am pretty sure older inventory did not last too long. Has been her selection already for quite a while. Perhaps she won the battle for a somewhat increased budget?

(If I were in her shoes, I would not have accepted the job with the budget she had. Although admittedly stylewise her selection was more to my liking than the previous one. But not qualitywise.)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Garlic Bread - for those trying it for the first time starting mid-April, let us know

Garlic Bread - for those trying it for the first time starting mid-April, let us know how it is! (international flights only)

Oh, and the Mimosas... and the new Champagne... and the new signature cocktail.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Garlic Bread - for those trying it for the first time starting mid-April, let us know how it is! (international flights only)

Oh, and the Mimosas... and the new Champagne... and the new signature cocktail.
Well, after all the mentions (and photos) of SQ and CX offering garlic bread......

Last year, I posted a link and article/video from enRoute (IIRC) where bartenders (mixologists) were developing drinks, and I suggested AC use one of them, or the concept, to have their own Signature Drink. I mentioned CX having 2 choices on their menus (which change either by route or quarterly etc).

So, nice to see AC making these changes.
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by 24left
Well, after all the mentions (and photos) of SQ and CX offering garlic bread......

Last year, I posted a link and video for enRoute (IIRC) where bartenders (mixologists) were developing drinks, and IIRC, I mentioned CX having 2 choices on their menus (which change either by route or quarterly etc).

So, nice to see AC making these changes.
So you're saying AC will be on par with the likes of SQ and CX come April 17, 2018?
Diabeetus likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:41 pm
Suspended

I didn't finish editing my post before you replied to it.

So you're saying AC will be on par with the likes of SQ and CX come April 17, 2018?
I wasn't the one who ever suggested AC was on par with SQ, CX, BR, (rest of list)
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
I imagine the garlic bread will be very popular.

I'll give it a try. it'll be a nice change from my usual multigrain dipped in the balsamic vinaigrette.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
I imagine the garlic bread will be very popular.

I'll give it a try. it'll be a nice change from my usual multigrain dipped in the balsamic vinaigrette.
What if it's actually cold, brittle, baton-like garlic bread?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:49 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
What if it's actually cold, brittle, baton-like garlic bread?
Wow. That is a depressing thought. It's like eating garlic bread from the grocery store without heating it.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diabeetus
Wow. That is a depressing thought. It's like eating garlic bread from the grocery store without heating it.

Or putting lipstick on an existing breadstick.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
For the 11PM YYZ LHR J, how long does the "express late evening dining" take? I can finish their meal in under 15 mins, but how long would it take for the meal to get to me? Seated in 5A

And is it possible to save it for breakfast instead via DINE ANY TIME (like instead of having that damn omelette again) I will just have the dinner prior to landing?
If there is no turbulence, the Express meal comes pretty quickly - well under half an hour after take-off.

I have asked for the dinner to be served for me at breakfast on flights to Europe as I'm going straight to sleep and they happily accommodated me.
Diabeetus and Jumper Jack like this.
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: A3, AC
I've got a flight on AC9 on the 18th. Hopefully they'll have garlic bread, if they do I'll make sure to put up some action shots here. Any requests?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cyralax
I've got a flight on AC9 on the 18th. Hopefully they'll have garlic bread, if they do I'll make sure to put up some action shots here. Any requests?
Can I put in an order? Do you deliver? Or you do mean requests for which type of garlic bread action shots AC FT would be interested in?
Old Apr 12, 2018, 9:33 pm

Programs: A3, AC
Originally Posted by 24left
Can I put in an order? Do you deliver? Or you do mean requests for which type of garlic bread action shots AC FT would be interested in?
You can order, but since I'm going towards the orient I'll have to mail it back and it'll probably turn into the nightmare-bread that yyznomad described. I mean-I know AC can screw up alot, but they can't manage to screw up garlic bread......right?
I actually meant which action photos of the garlic bread that you guys wanted. I also have a SQ flight in J as well in a couple of weeks so I'll be able to post a comparison to the legendary SQ garlic bread.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.