Search

Full Fare Rules

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2002, 9:58 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Full Fare Rules

Anyone know of an alternate online site where we can see the full fare rules (all the rules for all the fares, not the rules for full fare tickets)?

Travelocity no longer publishes MISC for many fares within Canada (still available for transborder and other destinations). MISC is the heading where it details standby provisions.

Expedia has more detailed routing rules but has never published standby rules section on its website.

Destina and PTO and AC's website are just plain useless when it comes to seeing the full fare rules.

ITN is worse than Expedia or Travelocity.

Surely someone other than the airline and travel agents has this information for viewing somewhere?

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 08-30-2002).]
Old Aug 30, 2002, 10:26 am

If you check fare listings on travelocity.ca
look at the last paragraph under "Penalty" you will find the standby rules here. Just double checked with a YYZ - YVR "L" listing
and standby is allowed on this ticket.

Biggles.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 11:16 am
Original Member
Original Poster

That's a different rule but you might be able to get the agents to honor it if you had the print out. It always says may standby to either/or etc. in that rule.

The "real" standby rule is in the MISC box.
Old Aug 30, 2002, 4:38 pm
Suspended

Kind of related to the fare rule question. A colleague of mine (Elite) just booked some tickets from FRA-YVR through YYC - all on AC metal so she could upgrade. She was telling me what a great agent she had on the phone, who checked all the rules for her on various fares (including upgrade rules) and that she ended up buying an M fare as this was upgradeable (the agent had double checked for her and assured her it was).
Of course I had to break the bad news that it wasn't, not to Europe, and that she would need to go up to a full Y. (Luckily the cost is not that much more on this route).
So, I offer to call AC. I talk to an agent who assures me M is upgradeable for Elite on this route. I make her go and ask someone, and of course she comes back and admits it isnt.
OK, so then I say take the fare up to a full Y. Lots of tapping, I (and you too probably) can guess what is coming next....yep..."There will be the fare difference plus $145 change fee".
So, we start "discussing" this, (I am getting the rules up on travelocity where it clearly says this is waived for upgrade to higher fare etc). She puts me on hold, goes off, 5 mins later I am cut off......
Call back, get another agent. Explain. She too says M is upgradeable (I am now starting to get tired of this). She checks, is surprised, agrees with me. I tell her firmly what I want to do, quote her the rule. This time it is done no prob, jsut the $275 fare difference.
What an effort though - I can only imagine what would have happened to my poor friend when she tried to use a certificate on this fare. Also, I bet she would have ended up paying the change fee.
This is really not good enough, AC should make sure agents know rules, or at least are careful enough to read them correctly This level of incorrect information is pretty bad.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 7:12 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Destina.ca (believe it or not), now has most of the information I want. They are lacking routing rules.

They do indicate whether standby is permitted, albeit in a different way but at least I can see this easily.

Now if they would just let me pick the fare class I wanted . . .
Old Aug 31, 2002, 10:57 am

I'm beginning to think that the airlines specifically don't want passengers to choose fare class. They'd rather tell you what fare class they want you in.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 6:29 pm

The "Misc" paragraph is now back at travelocity.ca with the standby rules.

Biggles.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 7:40 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

not for most Canada fares, only transborder etc. Try YYC to just about anywhere in Canada and see what you get.
Old Sep 2, 2002, 8:21 pm

Well, it seems they are at least partly back. My first attempt was YYC-YVR, and this is what I found:
Code:
Fare details for MWOW  

SPECIAL INSTANT PURCHASE SPECIAL FARE FARE 
BK CODE  
M -  
MISC  
STANDBY PERMITTED FOR EARLIER/ LATER SAME DAY FLIGHTS ONLY OTHERWISE 
WAITLIST AND STANDBY NOT PERMITTED.
and
Code:
Fare details for Q5WOW  

SPECIAL INSTANT PURCHASE SPECIAL FARE FARE 
BK CODE  
Q -  
MISC  
STANDBY NOT PERMITTED. WAITLISTING NOT PERMITTED.
[This message has been edited by Ken hAAmer (edited 09-02-2002).]
Old Sep 2, 2002, 9:28 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Yes but no consistency . . .

Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:04 pm

He he... good one!
Old Sep 3, 2002, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Slightly off topic but...

I was in the *A office in London (at the AC desk) getting some flight details amended when a woman next to me requests an upgrade on her flight to YYZ the next day with her SW voucher (I think she was Prestige). The agent looks at the voucher, frowns, and says that this is long-haul so she will need to use 2 vouchers (WHAT??????)

So the woman gives her two vouchers. The agent then looks at the second voucher and says it must be forged because it has the same serial number (WHAT????????? They all have the same serial number).

So the agent says she can't do it. I lean over (sorry, didn't mean to overhear, but what the h*ll are you talking about). Set her straight and she got her upgrade, 1 voucher.

Time for better training!
Old Sep 3, 2002, 11:39 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
Slightly off topic but...

I was in the *A office in London (at the AC desk) getting some flight details amended when a woman next to me requests an upgrade on her flight to YYZ the next day with her SW voucher (I think she was Prestige). The agent looks at the voucher, frowns, and says that this is long-haul so she will need to use 2 vouchers (WHAT??????)

So the woman gives her two vouchers. The agent then looks at the second voucher and says it must be forged because it has the same serial number (WHAT????????? They all have the same serial number).

So the agent says she can't do it. I lean over (sorry, didn't mean to overhear, but what the h*ll are you talking about). Set her straight and she got her upgrade, 1 voucher.

Time for better training!
</font>

the extent of the training is it is written in the computer here read it. Sometimes the may have a poster showing what the certificates look like but no great deatil on how they are used.
Old Sep 4, 2002, 2:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
This has worked for me and against me.

I remember checking in at LHR SE desk a few years ago. The agent was a trainee (Ha Ha). I was flying on the cheapest possible fare in October and showed him my SWU and asked if he could upgrade me. He said 'of course' what seat would you like!

Was the first A330 flight LHR-YYZ the captain later told us...what a comfy seat!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.