Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Its a rumour....You'll have to read to see....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2002, 6:52 pm
Original Poster

Okay, nothing major....But two people from AC have said that Air China may be joining *A.

Now is this a rumour.?...Or old news?...

I would like to see an alternative to LH back to Europe...so go for it.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 7:02 pm

I think they got it wrong.... It's Asiana
that will be joining....not so old news...but
it is official and has been announced.
Old Aug 31, 2002, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
And the airline code for Asiana is ....................... OZ

------------------
~ Glen ~ Calling all United 1K flyers - please join .. www.1Kflyers.com
Old Aug 31, 2002, 8:09 pm

Programs: AlFursan, AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Avios, Bonvoy, All
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ferrari:
[B]Okay, nothing major....But two people from AC have said that Air China may be joining *A.
B]</font>
'Flight International' is reporting the same.
1D
Old Aug 31, 2002, 8:40 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Actually this was reported on the Star Alliance forum awhile ago. I was happy (but not enthused) with Air China service on my trip last month and will use them again this month. They partner with Lufthansa Miles and More so I can earn miles there.

Threads discussing Star Alliance move for Air China:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/000746.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum82/HTML/000847.html
Old Sep 3, 2002, 9:31 am
Original Poster

In June, Star Alliance announced the addition of three new members to the alliance, Spanair, Asiana and LOT. Jaan Albrecht, CEO, Star Alliance sheds some insight on the new members and the alliance's strategy on growth.

Q. When is Air China going to join Star Alliance?

Jaan: Sooner or later Star Alliance will have a Chinese carrier among its members. It is, however, too early to name an airline. Air China is definitely interesting in this respect, and some of our member airlines already enjoy excellent co-operation with Air China on a bilateral basis. And there are other Chinese carriers.

Our position is that the Chinese themselves must feel ready to join Star Alliance - they have to decide when the time is right. At this point in time Chinese airlines are very focused on the ongoing industry consolidation in their country. I don't expect much to happen on the alliance front until this process is completed.

Let me just point out that while we are in this holding pattern, Star Alliance continues to improve its coverage of mainland China. THAI has introduced new services, ANA has also added services and recently concluded codeshare agreements with China Southwest and Shanghai Airlines, while our future member Asiana operates to 14 destinations in China.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.