Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Canadians afraid of flying on Sept 11 ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

AC reported a marked decline for short haul flights to USA destinations for whole week of Sept 11. Bookings for domestic and international flights appear unaffected.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?J23952D61

I am flying on the 12th. Anybody else?
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:20 am

I'm flying into IAD on Sep 8 and out on Sep 12 but that's my normal business week. It will be a strange week in the US but I hope uneventful.

I think it will be alot harder on the crews that day than on the actual passengers, as few as they may be.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:23 am

Programs: UA-1K (3MM); AA-Gold (1MM); Marriott Lifetime Titanium
I was suppose to be flying YYZ-FRA on 11SEP after a mtg in YYZ. Mtg is now cancelled and I'll leave for LHR on the 07SEP and then to Asia the week after.

Last year on 11SEP, I was packing to fly to YYZ-FRA/FCO (Rome) for a wedding, as I watched the events unfold. Needless to say, I did not go.

I think 11SEP will probably be one of the safest days to travel.

Cheers
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:32 am

Maybe AC should offer 2X Q miles for that day..

Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:57 am
Suspended

I was not scheduled to fly that day (but am the weekend before) and was seriously thinking of booking a ticket on UA or AA to go someplace, anyplace, just to let them know we think they are ok and still doing a good job.

A good day to show support.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
All the Toronto newspapers are running the same type of story this morning. Ken Hamer is quoted in the liked Globe story. When I got in from Ottawa late last night, I had an email from Keith McA at the ROB asking if he could interview me about this for an article he was writing on the subject. They must have hurried the story so the one in the POST would not scoop them.

I have already posted on the Community forum thread on this subject that I had no special plans. Need to be in Edmonton for the 14th, and was originally going to going to fly out on the 12th or 13th. I may now fly out on the 11th, set up meetings for the Thursday and Friday. As I'll be booking in H, I still have another month to decide. Should be no problem upgrading on the 11th, I suppose...

BTW, talking about upgrades, thanks for the VIA1 coupon, airbus320. Used it on yesterday's early morning, early evening train. Interesting, there were two others who did the same turnaround, and we all agreed while waiting in the Panorama Lounge that flying was just too much of a hastle on such a short trip. Turns out we all lived in city centre Toronto, walked to/from Union station, and also hopped the city bus into/from downtown Ottawa from/to the VIA station. We relaxed on the train, read the three local papers and had a hot breakfast going up to Ottawa [plus a hard drink prior to our arrival]. A couple of drinks, reasonably good dinner and wine, and a relaxing ride back.

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 08-03-2002).]
Old Aug 3, 2002, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

SH: Glad that the Via 1 upgrade was useful. It is a challenge to use them in YWG. Winnipeg-Churchill is not an option.
Old Aug 3, 2002, 10:03 am

Programs: AC*SE, DL_Gold, Hilton_Diamond, Marriott_Platinum
This topic gives me a change to thank both AC and the SE desk for their efforts last year. I was flying last Sept 11 (also my birthday) YVR-SEA-ORD for a 4 day meeting. Arrived at 6 am, and got to the meeting just in time for everything to go wrong. With airspace shut down, I was stuck in Chicago for four days.

I phoned the SE desk and told them my situation, including the fact that I was booked on UA, and 'just get me home please'. In a time of chaos the SE desk was able to get me a seat on a flight scheduled on Saturday morning. That flight was the first YVR flight to depart from ORD, and I was never happier to be on AC.

This year I'll be flying on the 9th and Friday the 13th. I expect it will be quiet, but very safe...

Old Aug 4, 2002, 9:47 pm

I have a ticketed ZED fare for JFK-LAX on UA that I would like to use on Sept. 11th, but I'm increasingly doubtful my schedule will permit its use. If I were free, I would be at JFK first thing in the morning, with an AC pin for each of the UA staff members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.