Community
Wiki Posts
Search

An Olive Branch

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
An Olive Branch

Given Parnel's recent case of food poisoning when eating at a restaurant I recommended, and the more positive outcome of Ferrari's confirmed upgrade to SYD, not to mention the return of my normal Paradiso Dark roast coffee to my local Second Cup [and double English cream my friend just brought me from London], I wish to offer an olive branch to both and all others who have suffered my my barbs over the past week. I wish Ferrari a comfortable journey on Saturday [but watch the food] with some of AC's award winning J-class wines on board, and when next he ventures into the big city, a bottle of pink PetoBismol for Parnel, should he wish to precondition his stomach.

And to all, have a good day...

[This message has been edited by Shareholder (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 5:46 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Spoken like the gentleman I know you are, SH.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ditto.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 6:26 am
ALW

Well said, Shareholder.

I trust that Pepto-Bismol will be a local microbrew?

andrew
Old Aug 1, 2002, 8:58 am

SH.

I hope you got my last email.?.

Thank you for the good wishes, as for the food, well I think Dean & Deluca will be taking care of my catering from now on.

Please, I don't take any of your "barbs" personnally, I rather enjoy you wit.

Have a good day.

[This message has been edited by Ferrari (edited 08-01-2002).]
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:08 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:

[and double English cream my friend just brought me from London]
And to all, have a good day...

</font>
Since emigrating 4 years ago thick cream has been one of the items we have missed.

Anybody know why its not available here?

Stewart.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:09 am

Very gracious, SH - I look forward to seeing you on a Tango flight one day
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:10 am

SCMM

Devon Clotted cream can be found in Granville Market Vancouver, its not bad, not quite like the real stuff.

Strawberries are just not the same...

Its close enough .
Old Aug 1, 2002, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Yes, Devon "clotted" cream is widely available in small bottles at most grocery chains across the country. I have also bought large containers of local extra thick slightly sweet cream at the Old Strathcona Farmers Market in Edmonton, but have not found any here in Toronto.

But the double cream for use in coffee, etc. has never caught on here, and just isn't available. The best one can find is evaporated milk, though that is a pale substitute. That's why I try to get to a Marks & Spencer or Tesco (?) prior to heading home from the UK, where I can buy a few small plastic containers which I then "smuggle" into the country. Also enjoy English or Danish cut bacon, which is also relatively unavailable on this side of the Atlantic. Then there are those wonderful South African filet mignon steaks from The Butcher Shop restaurant in Sandton [Johannesburg] or from their airport kiosk, Province duck breasts fresh in the market off the beach in Nice, tubes of Lowensenf extra hot mustard from Dusseldorf...
Old Aug 1, 2002, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Devon clotted cream?!? Generations of my Cornish ancestors are whirling dervishly in their mausolea! I suppose you also commit the mortal sin of putting the cream on your scones before the jam?!? Olive branches are all well and good--but clotted cream is serious business!

I have a recipe for Cornish clotted cream for any who are interested (and masochistic enough to got through with it). However, most grasses in Canada do not have as much carotene as Cornwall, so there will not be same golden yellow colour that true Cornish clotted cream has.

I also have a several recipes involving the use of clotted cream, if anyone is bringing it home and getting tired of scones and jam (as if).

Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Pray tell, AC*SE, what then is the difference between that which is sold in those little bottles as Devon Cream here, and Cornish Clottet Cream? Pardon my ignorance in such matters, my roots being a bit further north in Birmingham, very urban save for a country estate in Sussex that the "other side" of the family has held onto. I do wish to put your relatives at rest!

Then there is Bird's custard, which must be a derivative of these lactic concoctions.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 1:53 pm

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
AC*SE my father is a Devonian, and so my loyalty must go with the Devon Clotted Cream.

Clotted Cream is sold here in The Peg by Safeway, but its not the clotted I miss its the Double Cream, very thick cream that will still pour (given enough time) onto Deserts and the like. I think thats what Shareholder gets from Tesco or M&S.

Birds custard I have seen in the Big Green Store along with Chocolate Digestive & other Biscuits by M&S.

Stewart

Old Aug 1, 2002, 2:36 pm

As I was also born in this part of the world I would like to have a little say in this matter.

Devon cream and Cornish clotted are separated by the difference in the grasses.
Much like Parmesan Reggiano, which has four different seasons to it, I will explain the Parmesan theory first.

The cheese that is made in the spring is from rich new grass, thus produces a very mild cheese, Summer the grasses are much drier and therefore the cheese is much stronger and gives that lovely bite on the roof of the mouth. (My Fav)
Autumn is similar to Spring with a slight richness, winter is mild.

So, back to the creams, as great rivalry exist between these neighbors to which is better, it comes down to taste, the Devon cream is slightly milder and not quite so thick, the Cornish on the other hand delivers a very farmyard taste and is much thicker, also good Cornish cream has a crust on the top.

Devon Cream teas require the slightly softer cream IMHO , where as deserts require the Cornish.

Wimbledon will serve Cornish.

For those in YVR that need a fix, there is a little shop, typical of that still found in the north of England, run by two little old ladies, its called the British Home store.
You get all the delights of England, Colman's Mustard/ Turnocks Carmel biscuit/Birds Custard/ and real tea.

I still miss Heinz 57 Baked Beans.!
Old Aug 1, 2002, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Are Turnocks Carmel biscuits the variety which are made from layered wafers with carmel and vanlla cream alternating between each layer? I believe the ones I remember, are made in Scotland, but I have not found any in almost a decade on either side of the Atlantic.

Yes, the double cream I am talking about is quite thick but very pourable, and certainly not as thick as the clotted varieties. Thanks for the lesson about the finer points of how grass yields milk of various characters.
Old Aug 1, 2002, 4:13 pm

Turnocks Carmel...

That's the one !...

Yes can still be found here in Vancouver !

If I get chance I will forwards some over.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.