Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:36 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
Originally Posted by canopus27
@bimmerdriver, I've asked a couple of times about this ... and it's a real ask, I'm not trying to call you out or anything, I really do want to read more details.

Can you (or anyone) provide actual examples of 737 MAX flights where there is even a suspicion that the MCAS acted up, but the plane flew on ok. The only instances that I know about are the Lion Air flights prior to 610. I have read what the preliminary report says about those flight (a flight which was also reported to have been carrying an extra deadheading pilot, who was the one to suggest the stab trim cut-off) ... but I honestly want to read more about other examples, even if they are not confirmed MCAS problems.

I do recall that multiple people have referred to references of such incidents in the NASA database (https://asrs.arc.nasa.gov/search/database.html), but I can't find anything myself.

Please help. I'd like to read more details about the flights you reference. Where did you find your information?
The only flights I'm aware of specifically are the lion air flights of the same aircraft that crashed. I've read a few anecdotal references elsewhere, but I haven't seen any official reports. This is what I said in a post above. If there are other official reports, they will no doubt surface as part of the investigation. If I find anything specific, I will post it here.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete
5mm likes this.

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:41 pm
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by skybluesea
No, this frames many unrelated events rather than causes, so meaningless relative to the aircraft's safety record.

We recently saw the tragic loss of an A320 in the EU Alps because of what we understand was homicide-by-pilot (and suicide with lethal intent).

So what has this tragedy have anything to do with the safety record of the A320 when a perfectly good aircraft is flow into a mountain?
Agree as it was hardly the 747 at fault when a pair of Jumbo's collided at Tenerife whereas the MAX record is directly attributable to design flaws.
skybluesea likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 1:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
And we see the DC-9 on the graph, which AC tragically lost an aircraft because of the careless disposal of a cigarette in a lavatory when smoking on board was still allowed.

Again, this could have happened on any aircraft, as an in-cabin fire, started by an external source, is incredibly dangerous in the confines of an aircraft.
I agree with you on Germanwings, but not this one.

Is it possible to design an aircraft such that a disposal of a cigarette (in a "reasonable" location like the sink, toilet, trash, ashtray, etc.) would not start a fire? If the answer is yes, then it's fair to factor in incidents like this, since another aircraft could have been safe in the same situation.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 2:42 pm

Programs: AC SEMM / HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bimmerdriver
The only flights I'm aware of specifically are the lion air flights of the same aircraft that crashed. I've read a few anecdotal references elsewhere, but I haven't seen any official reports. This is what I said in a post above. If there are other official reports, they will no doubt surface as part of the investigation. If I find anything specific, I will post it here.
Fair enough, and thanks.

Can I suggest that until we get some actual reports with actual details, we all refrain from talking about any previous flights where MCAS (potentially) operated incorrectly, and the roles that any pilots (potentially) had in saving those planes?
canadiancow likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
C-GEHY has left YVR for YQG.
C-FSNQ coming back the other way.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:08 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Originally Posted by J. Leslie
"Backs" is not the same as "requires". I wonder what he'll do when the FAA says the Max is good to go. My guess is nothing.
My guess is that Garneau wouldn't make this comment to the media unless he was planning to do something about it. It's not as if he was overheard in a bar talking about his personal opinion.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Air Canada Super Elite 2+ Million Miles
delete

Last edited by skybluesea; Dec 28, 2020 at 6:40 pm
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:05 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Fair enough at the margins you suggest, but I can find only two incidents of fatalities related to discarded cigarettes, the other CAAC in 1982 on a Russian-built aircraft.

But in principal you are right, as while AC lost 23 passengers that day, the consequences fundamentally altered aircraft design, not just for DC-9s but every modern aircraft in terms of fire protection, evacuation, etc...my friend at TK who runs cabin crew training knows all about AC 797, and they use it to remind new crews why dealing with on-board smoking can be life and death.
Varig 820 (Boeing 707) was another one of the cigarette-caused mass fatality incidents, my understanding is it led to the FAA mandating the now-ubiquitous lavatory ashtrays.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by canopus27
Fair enough, and thanks.

Can I suggest that until we get some actual reports with actual details, we all refrain from talking about any previous flights where MCAS (potentially) operated incorrectly, and the roles that any pilots (potentially) had in saving those planes?
Here is a link to a news article that there were 5 incidents in the US where pilots reported issues. Sorry if it was already rehashed elsewhere.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ng-737-1266090
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:00 pm

Location: YVR - MILLS Waypoint (It's the third house on the left)
Programs: AC*SE100K, wood level status in various other programs
Originally Posted by vernonc
Here is a link to a news article that there were 5 incidents in the US where pilots reported issues. Sorry if it was already rehashed elsewhere.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/...ng-737-1266090
And here's a more thorough version from The Atlantic. It includes the actual ASRS reports as well as an overall summary.

Not all of the 'incidents' referenced explicitly involved MCAS (only three reports even mention MCAS) or were even necessarily initiated due to an in-flight issue . So treat it as it is - raw data gleaned from the NASA ASRS database.

Last edited by Bohemian1; Apr 17, 2019 at 5:27 pm
Old Apr 17, 2019, 5:21 pm

Programs: AC E50K, NEXUS
FAA: Simulator Sessions Not Needed For Updated MAX Training

WASHINGTON—An FAA update of minimum training required for pilots to fly the Boeing 737 MAX will cover the aircraft’s maneuvering characteristics augmentation system (MCAS), but simulator sessions will not be needed, a draft of a new report reveals.
You have to register to read the entire article.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:13 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
If that ends up being the final decision of the FAA, I could expect to see a situation where the Max is flying in the US and nowhere else.
expert7700 and 5mm like this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by tracon
C-FSNQ coming back the other way.
LOL totally in Canadian airspace both ways.
canopus27 likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: AC, SK, Marriott
Originally Posted by InTheAirGuy
LOL totally in Canadian airspace both ways.
Why would they take such a flight path? Genuinely curious

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.