Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 19, 2017, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: 24left
Jan 18 2021 TC issues Airworthiness Directive for the 737 MAX
Link to post https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32976892-post4096.html

Cabin photos

Post 976 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29534462-post976.html
Post 1300 https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29780203-post1300.html

Cabin Layout

Interior Specs can be found here https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/onboard/fleet.html

- Window seats may feel narrower to come as the armrests are placed "into" the "curvature" of the cabin.
- Seats with no windows feel even more narrower as there is no space created by the curvature of window.
- All bulkhead seats have very limited legroom.
- Seats 15A, 16A, 16F, 17A and 17F have limited windows.
- Exit rows 19 and 20 have more legroom than regular preferred seats.

Routes

The 737 MAX is designated to replace the A320-series. Based on announcements and schedule updates, the following specific routes will be operated by the 737 MAX in future:

YYZ-LAX (periodic flights)
YYZ-SNN (new route)
YUL-DUB (new route)
YYZ/YUL-KEF (replacing Rouge A319)
YYT-LHR (replacing Mainline A319)
YHZ-LHR (replacing Mainline B767)
Hawaii Routes YVR/YYC (replacing Rouge B767)
Many domestic trunk routes (YYZ, YVR, YUL, YYC) now operated by 7M8, replacing A320 family
Print Wikipost

Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by RangerNS
You don't think that if AC asked for larger galleys and lav's that Boeing would oblige?
You mean like the ones delivered to AA and Westjet? Oh they got the micro versions too. Baaaad AC.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/michael.../#395735874f42
Old Feb 9, 2018, 5:29 pm

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by canadiancow
I think the extra seat width on the 320 would be noticeable to anyone older than 9.
Agree
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:32 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM
787 Max

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
I wish I could still remember my first anything.

I can't compare to the current Airbus generation, I haven't been on one. I just wanted to relay my general observations, based on my first AC 7M8 experience. I acknowledge that I am comparing new to old. I still enjoyed the plane, though.
Agree. Had my innocence popped on a YUL-YYZ flight last week in J...FIN 512 courtesy of the new inbound tracking on the App. Nice IFE, USB, large OH bins.....but you need to be a contortionist when they are open and you're deplaning.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 9:47 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jaysona
The 7M8 has new MLG
No, it doesn't. There is no space for it.

new nose gear, new pylon,
Sure it does. Otherwise there would be no way to install a modern high bypass turbofan on an antiquated airframe.

new wing
New winglets. New wing - absolutely not.

and some other structure stuff I have already forgotten about.
One of them is the new tailcone. I'm certain there is a practical reason for it, but it looks good too.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 10:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU

One of them is the new tailcone. I'm certain there is a practical reason for it, but it looks good too.
It seems pretty obvious that this tailcone is aerodynamically superior to antiquated ones.

It is similar to a retrofit that was widely applied to a bunch of DC-9/MD80s. The newer CRJs also saw their tailcone redesigned to a similar shape. Seems it's only for the 748 that Boeing did not bother redoing the tailcone.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:37 am

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm sure HUMS is updated, I'm sure the ease of maintenance is improved. I'm sure various parts have been uprated, or downrated, or redesigned, for a better maintenance cycle.
Not really, the AHM parameters captured for the MAX is the same as the NG - with the exception of the additional parameters that can be captured for motor performance. So yes, technically HUMS is updated due to more maintenance data points that are captured - but that's due to the new motors and the data they can generate and not the other components of the aircraft.

Originally Posted by The Lev
True enough, although the manufacturer needs to approve the seating. You can bemoan the manufacturer for the cramped galleys and lavatories.
The OEMs respond to operator request, so yes, the OEM needs to certify the new LOPAs (Layout Of Passenger Accommodations), but those LOPA configurations are based on operator requests.

Originally Posted by Stranger
I think if AC would have asked for *smaller* galleys and lavs, Boeing would have obliged.
I think the galley and lavs are pretty as small as they can be at the moment. The forward galley is the width of the door, not sure how the galley could be made smaller.

No, it doesn't. There is no space for it.
Yes it does! The MLG is new and had to be changes due to the increased weight of the motors. The MAX-10 will have different MLG from the -7,-8 and -9, the -10 will have levered MLG.

Yes, new wing is needed as well due to the increased capacity of the fuel tanks, lighter centre wingbox and increased strengthening due to the heavier motors.

Yes, I forgot about the change to the empennage as well, thanks for the reminder. ^
quantumofforce likes this.

Last edited by jaysona; Feb 10, 2018 at 1:49 am Reason: iPhone autocorrect seems to think it knows better than I do about what I want to type. :-\
Old Feb 10, 2018, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
At first I had assumed that they were using the same split scimitar winglet as on newer NG's but it is indeed a new design. Interesting article here:
Boeing 737 Winglets
Yes, new wing is needed as well due to the increased capacity of the fuel tanks, lighter centre wingbox and increased strengthening due to the heavier motors.
New wing or minor tweaks to the wing like the Airbus NEO?
Old Feb 10, 2018, 11:32 am

Programs: AC SE100K, National E/E, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond, MB, Avis PC

Yes it does! The MLG is new and had to be changes due to the increased weight of the motors. The MAX-10 will have different MLG from the -7,-8 and -9, the -10 will have levered MLG.
Actually, not. It is beefed up to support the higher MTOW, but is is still the old, short MLG. That's the reason for the LEAP 1B having a smaller fan diameter compared to the 1A and 1C. BTW, the increase in MTOW is higher than increase in the OEW.
The 737-10 MLG is telescopic in order to maintain a semi-decent rotation angle.

There are some tweaks in the wing to support the engines, but it is the NG wing. It is a modern wing, newer than the A320 wing, but there is no change other than the winglets compared to the NG. The fuel capacity is unchanged. The increase in range is fully due to better engines and some aerodynamic tweaks.

Originally Posted by The Lev
At first I had assumed that they were using the same split scimitar winglet as on newer NG's but it is indeed a new design. Interesting article here:
Boeing 737 Winglets
Same here. But there indeed are visible - and obviously measurable differences between the two.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Source: https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris

February 10 2018

Old Feb 12, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: Only J via Peasant Points, 777HDPeasant or The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance and Narcissism.
Originally Posted by 24left
Source: https://twitter.com/AeroimagesChris

February 10 2018

New tailfin design? White on Black certainly makes much more better design wise
Old Feb 12, 2018, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
His tweet was:

Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:07 am

Programs: AAexp, AC75k, HertzPC, NationalEE, Accor/MariottP, Hilton/HyattG
My parents flew this in Y and gave me their trip report. They LOVED the screens, and the look. They are both very small so no issues with room. They did however mention how the seats were so much harder than the blue ones, both wished they had a cushion to sit on. Really loved the overhead bins.

They said they'd prefer the E90/Airbus just because of the hard seats.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 10:42 am

Programs: Bottom feeder Star Gold
Originally Posted by SKYEG
They said they'd prefer the E90/Airbus just because of the hard seats.
Yes, I can imagine the seats being a real deterrent on those long hops to Ireland. No thanks.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 4:31 pm

Programs: AC SE100k, Marriott Titanium Elite, Accor Platinum, National Executive Elite
I was fairly happy on my YYZ-YVR on preferred seating Y on this plane the other day. Plenty of room, the seat was fine, and the IFE was very good, albeit bad selection. I do agree that the Y lavs are pretty miserable, and are set up to stay dirty by mid-flight. For flights under 4-5 hours it's more or less fine. Will miss the Airbus planes of course, and looking forward to having the C series in the fleet.
Old Feb 15, 2018, 6:17 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by Jumper Jack
It's still in the process of painting. Just search for aircraft painting on Youtube and you will see how primers are applied then how different colours are painted/masked.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.