FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Air Canada Selects Boeing 737 MAX to Renew Mainline Narrowbody Fleet
Old Feb 10, 2018, 1:37 am
jaysona

Programs: Irrelevant
Originally Posted by RangerNS
I'm sure HUMS is updated, I'm sure the ease of maintenance is improved. I'm sure various parts have been uprated, or downrated, or redesigned, for a better maintenance cycle.
Not really, the AHM parameters captured for the MAX is the same as the NG - with the exception of the additional parameters that can be captured for motor performance. So yes, technically HUMS is updated due to more maintenance data points that are captured - but that's due to the new motors and the data they can generate and not the other components of the aircraft.

Originally Posted by The Lev
True enough, although the manufacturer needs to approve the seating. You can bemoan the manufacturer for the cramped galleys and lavatories.
The OEMs respond to operator request, so yes, the OEM needs to certify the new LOPAs (Layout Of Passenger Accommodations), but those LOPA configurations are based on operator requests.

Originally Posted by Stranger
I think if AC would have asked for *smaller* galleys and lavs, Boeing would have obliged.
I think the galley and lavs are pretty as small as they can be at the moment. The forward galley is the width of the door, not sure how the galley could be made smaller.

Originally Posted by WildcatYXU
No, it doesn't. There is no space for it.
Yes it does! The MLG is new and had to be changes due to the increased weight of the motors. The MAX-10 will have different MLG from the -7,-8 and -9, the -10 will have levered MLG.

New winglets. New wing - absolutely not.
Yes, new wing is needed as well due to the increased capacity of the fuel tanks, lighter centre wingbox and increased strengthening due to the heavier motors.

One of them is the new tailcone. I'm certain there is a practical reason for it, but it looks good too.
Yes, I forgot about the change to the empennage as well, thanks for the reminder. ^

Last edited by jaysona; Feb 10, 2018 at 1:49 am Reason: iPhone autocorrect seems to think it knows better than I do about what I want to type. :-\