Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

aeroplan - current best Cdn. cc sign-up bonuses?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:58 am
Original Poster

I'm looking to apply for a few more cc's to try to replace some of my recently redeemed aeroplan miles...

Just cancelled the AMEX biz gold so I can apply for the AMEX platinum (charge card, 60k bonus MR points)

Currently have:

AMEX Aeroplan Platinum (charge card)
AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest (credit card)
CIBC Aerogold Visa

Any thoughts on what other Cdn. cc's might be useful?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:07 am

I think TD and CIBC will be issueing new CC's with reward bonuses soon so keep an eye out for those!
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:14 am
alc

Originally Posted by SAAG
I'm looking to apply for a few more cc's to try to replace some of my recently redeemed aeroplan miles...

Just cancelled the AMEX biz gold so I can apply for the AMEX platinum (charge card, 60k bonus MR points)

Currently have:

AMEX Aeroplan Platinum (charge card)
AMEX Starwood Preferred Guest (credit card)
CIBC Aerogold Visa

Any thoughts on what other Cdn. cc's might be useful?
if you were thinking for another AMEX card, not sure if there are any more you want to apply since you are planning to apply the AMEX Platinum charge card, ... unless you want to start applying the another card within same family, i.e. Gold Rewards (25K Sign-Up Bonus) or AeroplanPlus Gold (30K Sign-Up Bonus)

I wrote a simple comparision recently on the AMEX Referral thread, hope it might help you choose which one you want:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/21544950-post122.html

For non AMEX or CIBC, there is really no other CC that earn Aeroplan directly... only all those indirect way, i.e. Hotels CC, ESSO CC, etc..
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:25 am
Original Poster

alc - thanks for the reply - looks like there aren't any stragglers that I don't know about already then... was hoping there might be

gchc - Thanks for reminding me about that! I will definitely be on the lookout for the new TD cards - can't wait to see what the offers are - I hope they're good!!
Old Oct 7, 2013, 12:06 pm

I'd definitely cancel your Aeroplat and re-sign up for Aeroplan Gold for the 30K welcome bonus, FYF, via referral

Plus the 25K AMEX MR from AMEX Gold
that's be 60K (Plat) + 30K (Aerogold) + 25K (Gold) for only $699 1st year
not counting any TD or CIBC offers yet
Old Oct 7, 2013, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I'd definitely cancel your Aeroplat and re-sign up for Aeroplan Gold for the 30K welcome bonus, FYF, via referral

Plus the 25K AMEX MR from AMEX Gold
that's be 60K (Plat) + 30K (Aerogold) + 25K (Gold) for only $699 1st year
not counting any TD or CIBC offers yet
You read my mind! Went through the AMEX cards today, and my hubby will refer me to the Amex Gold after I cancel my AMEX Aeroplat Nice!

I plan on using the points for J class reward flights in future, so as long as I get the miles for around $0.01 per mile or less, I'm happy. There are 4 of us to get tickets for each time, so we need a looooooo-ot of points for where we plan to go!
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:10 pm

Originally Posted by jerryhung
I'd definitely cancel your plat and sign up for Aeroplan Gold for the 30K welcome bonus, FYF, via referral
Can the referee get the 10k AE points if they don't have an AMEX Aeroplan card but another AMEX? Also, do self-referalls work?

Cheers
Old Oct 7, 2013, 4:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever
Can the referee get the 10k AE points if they don't have an AMEX Aeroplan card but another AMEX? Also, do self-referalls work?

Cheers
re: not having AMEX Aeroplan but another AMEX - if you go to the AMEX site and click on the refer a friend link ( https://www.americanexpress.com/cana...Refer-a-friend ) you'll see what cards can refer a friend to what cards.

First, you choose the card you have (or the card that the referring friend has), and you'll see an option to refer to a different card - that will show you all the referral options for that particular card.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by CrownRoyalForever

Cheers
In general, ONLY same-family referral work (including self-referral)

so you need an AMEX Aeroplan* card to refer yourself/others to an AMEX Aeroplan* card to earn any Aeroplan referral points

Same logic applies for AMEX MR card referral
Gold/Plat/BizGold/BizPlat >> Gold/Plat/BizGold/BizPlat
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:17 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
First year annual fee waived best offer:

Amex AeroplanPlus Gold Card through referral, 30k bonus miles and first year free

Annual fee not waived best offer:

Amex SPG card, 21k SPG points through referral link.
Old Oct 7, 2013, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cana2013
First year annual fee waived best offer:

Amex AeroplanPlus Gold Card through referral, 30k bonus miles and first year free

Annual fee not waived best offer:

Amex SPG card, 21k SPG points through referral link.
For the Starwood AMEX, how soon after I cancel can I reapply? Can I cancel today, then reapply tomorrow?
Old Oct 7, 2013, 9:19 pm

I don't know if there is any current sign up bonus promotion for Diners Club, but you can convert your Diners Club points into Aeroplan miles (1,000 point = 1,000 miles).
Old Oct 7, 2013, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik19283
I don't know if there is any current sign up bonus promotion for Diners Club, but you can convert your Diners Club points into Aeroplan miles (1,000 point = 1,000 miles).
I did not know that! Thanks much for pointing that out.. will keep an eye out for any ways I can take advantage of that info!
Old Oct 7, 2013, 11:43 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
For the Starwood AMEX, how soon after I cancel can I reapply? Can I cancel today, then reapply tomorrow?
Can you reapply - certainly.
Will you be approved - very likely provided everything else lines up and the computer does its job.
Will you get bonus points - likely, I have known people awarded the bonus points after immediate churns and a couple who have been refused despite the applications being spread out - odds are in your favour.

Despite all this, I always space out applying for the same product again. I absolutely do not want to be red flagged by Amex as I am hoping to play the game with them long term.

On the other hand, SPG Biz is a different product and I would not hesitate signing up for that in your circumstance (given you have already had a Biz card).
Old Oct 8, 2013, 3:47 am

I did not know that! Thanks much for pointing that out.. will keep an eye out for any ways I can take advantage of that info!
Oops! My bad, sorry... I wanted to add a link with information about Diners Club --> Aeroplan and then I read this:

Terms & Conditions:
* Valid for Diners Club U.S. cardmembers only.

Sorry, I should have taken the time to read the fine prints earlier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.