Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

More classes move from flex to tango

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More classes move from flex to tango

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:10 pm

Programs: AC SE; SPG Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by Dorian
I'll be first. This doesn't have a terrific impact on myself and my office group, only for well planned leisure travel that doesn't use LAT FP's.

That being said, you could have titled this thread "How to push loyal AC customers even further to other carriers".

I'm really getting sick of this crap and will no doubt be flying competing int'l carriers in place of AC this year, in paid J, which shouldn't be happening.
And in a shocking turn of events, you and I are on exactly the same page.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:11 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Marriott Plat, Natl Exec, NEXUS
Originally Posted by cmiddlet
ugh. Despite the info that says AC will keep the fare class as Flex, the system doesn't know that. So I have just learned from calling AC that I will have to call exactly 5 * 24 hours before my flight to request an upgrade on a Flex W fare on AC33 that was Flex yesterday but is Tango today.
I've got a booking made today to LAS in L class that's showing as Tango when I look the reservation up online. I phoned in to confirm that it is still a FLEX fare and the agent confirmed that, but it will be interesting to see if I have to make a manual upgrade request as well.

Last edited by YEGTigger; Sep 24, 2013 at 12:17 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by yvr76
Start flying international routes and you'll see a much larger delta between Tango and Flex.

If they increase the AC metal requirement, then it's minimum spend. This way, someone can still technically just put in their 10,000 AQM/5 segments, and fly United the rest of the year.
Originally Posted by Dorian
I suggest they are actually alienating every passenger type except once a year leisure travelers looking for bottom fares and are carrier/alliance agnostic.
So again, while I sympathize with those flying internationally (and I'm sure I will for work within the next year), if these changes had been made 12 months ago, nothing would have changed for me. Most of my flights are on transborder routes where W is the lowest fare. I've been booked into W, V, Q, and M.

But I that was this year. I don't know what next year will bring for me, and these changes just make me too nervous to commit to Altitude for another year. Every little change keeps pushing me to United. I'll still fly AC next year, just to use my upgrades, but after that, I doubt it.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:20 pm

Programs: A3 *G; AC
I just checked my November flight on Manage My Bookings. AC IT has managed to downgrade it to a Tango fare (with no letter) already. I will be making a few calls to ensure that the fare is upgradeable. I am sooo glad that I will be *Gold with A3 by the end of January. Air Canada can do you know what!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:24 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hydrogen
So I am guessing that the price of the booking classes won't change, making Flex fares even more costly, correct?
It already happened.
YUL-CDG cheapest Flex was 100$ more than Tango before, now it is 500$ (same price as PE). It is probably the same thing on all European destinations.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:29 pm

Programs: HH-S WS-G
I am so glad that I dropped this AC loyalty game 2 years ago it just keeps getting worst
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:33 pm

I can't believe this just happened.
Wasn't introducing co-pays for upgrades enough?
Something's seriously wrong with AC.
Are they going to move more and more fare classes from flex to tango every year?
After next year, I will be moving to UA or AA myself too.
I hate the fact that I accumulated most of my miles this year to AC already.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
I made a change to an AE reservation last night, and was ecstatic that as SE, the first one was free. Then it dawned on me, that if I was a UA 1K, not only do I get unlimited free changes, free cancellations, no carrier admin fees, free same day changes etc.
Yes, it's a fantastic benefit. And don't forget, one way fares at half the price of a round trip ticket. I've booked several "insurance" award tickets in case something goes wrong with my revenue ticket. And you can make all your changes online, so you don't even have to bother an agent.

AC still does have concierge and reduced IKK, but each year that goes by IKK seems harder to use.
In my short time with UA, I'm finding that the regular UA agents are far more empowered than AC's concierges. They won't get a memo having to justify their actions the next day after upgrading someone. If your flight gets delayed or cancelled, you can ask the UA agent to put you in a higher fare class (Y) to put you at the top of the upgrade list.

Last edited by margarita girl; Sep 24, 2013 at 1:05 pm
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:43 pm

OK, here I go with my (possibly really) dumb question.

What does this actually matter? IMHO what really matters is the fare code basis, not the booking class. There has traditionally been a lot of overlap between Tango and Flex fares (low end Flex fares could be significantly cheaper than high end Tango fares), its just that AC.com only ever shows the cheapest available in both fare classes.

AC could publish various M fares on a specific city pair ranging from $1 to $1 million (i.e MXXXTP for $1, MYYYTP for $1000, MZZZTP for $1000000) with various advance purchase, length of stay, etc. requirements. Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that the price point of a Flex ticket stays approximately the same as it currently is, what difference does it make what fare bucket it falls into?

The reason I'm scratching my head about all of this is I don't understand why AC doesn't just simplify their fare structure and standardize all Tango/Flex fare buckets across the board (within NA and internationally) to reduce some confusion.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 12:55 pm

Programs: Diners, AP E50K, World Elite MC, Fairmont Presidents, Ritz Rewards Elite, .....
Originally Posted by YEG USER

What does this actually matter? IMHO what really matters is the fare code basis, not the booking class. There has traditionally been a lot of overlap between Tango and Flex fares (low end Flex fares could be significantly cheaper than high end Tango fares), its just that AC.com only ever shows the cheapest available in both fare classes.

Don't tango fares only get 25% AQM points? That would significantly diminish their already decreasing benefits to frequent flyers.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum

AC could publish various M fares on a specific city pair ranging from $1 to $1 million (i.e MXXXTP for $1, MYYYTP for $1000, MZZZTP for $1000000) with various advance purchase, length of stay, etc. requirements. Assuming (and this is a big assumption) that the price point of a Flex ticket stays approximately the same as it currently is, what difference does it make what fare bucket it falls into?
The reason why this is a major enhancement is that there is a fare class hierarchy, e.g. S < W < V < Q < H < U < M < B < Y.

When searching fares with the same parameters (i.e. dates, minimum stay, maximum stay, advance purchase requirement, stopovers, Sat night rule etc.) the fares will be sorted according to this hierarchy 99.9% of the time.

You can definitely find examples where a K fare may be more expensive than an S fare, but in nearly every single case the parameters of the K fare will be more generous, so you´d be comparing apples with oranges.

When using the same parameters, V fares on TATL routes are usually $300-$500 more expensive than S fares, so essentially you now have to pay an extra $300-$500 for a given flight to get exactly the same benefits (100% miles, chance to upgrade) as you did previously.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 1:38 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G

What does this actually matter?
It matters because it seems likely that the cost to purchase fares with 100% miles and upgradeability will increase, for upgrade credits that were earned without the expectation of this likely cost increase.

It also matters because of the likelihood of glitches with existing booking w/r/t to their upgradeability and miles earning that will probably be resolved but not without effort and/or stress.

As an aside, I think AC could use a subforum to which all posts mentioning AC haters and AC apologists can be sent to die.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:02 pm

And of course, the lack of advance notice and the effective date of the change with about 3¼ months to Dec. 31.

Those planning to travel between now and the end of December to take them pass the qualification threshold will likely have to spend a few dollars more unless they have already ticketed or settle with Tango and forget about the status for 2014!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:09 pm

Programs: AC*SE, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by margarita girl
In my short time with UA, I'm finding that the regular UA agents are far more empowered than AC's concierges. They won't get a memo having to justify their actions the next day after upgrading someone. If your flight gets delayed or cancelled, you can ask the UA agent to put you in a higher fare class (Y) to put you at the top of the upgrade list.
And get 150% miles + 1.5 segments for the Y/B bucket

So glad I made the change to United at the beginning of this year - just when you think they can't do anything else to tick off people they manage to do it again. And to make the press release look like it's all sunshine and puppies! LOL
Old Sep 24, 2013, 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by sluis
Wow, I am speechless. Air Canada keeps firing all their loyal customers. It seems they just want two types of customers: backpackers traveling to Europe on a shoestring budget and people willing to pay for J. I don't know if AC realizes that those backpackers have no idea what airline they are flying so they would switch to a different carrier for a 20 dollar difference. I guess this model has worked as their planes seem pretty full lately (not sure about the actual revenue on those flights though). It seems next year if you have the money and you are travelling solo it would be super easy to upgrade with these policies:

1. Even more expensive flex fare
2. 500 - 750 $ upgrade fee (unless SE)
3. 14 - 17 upgrade credits
4. No nominees (unless SE)

I think AC woke up one day and said we need to get rid of 80% of our top tier customers.
What AC is saying..... We don't charge SE for co-pay to eUpgrade. However, they have to pay more for upgradeable Flex fare. So, it's the same meat but a different sauce.

AC wins regardless whether you get your eUpgrade or not. You have paid a more expensive base fare to play the aerolotto game.

Last edited by Clipper801; Sep 24, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.