FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Air Canada | Aeroplan (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan-375/)
-   -   More classes move from flex to tango (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1505787-more-classes-move-flex-tango.html)

biglinguist Sep 24, 2013 7:16 am

More classes move from flex to tango

Apologies if I missed an earlier thread on this.

This seems like a very bad thing for me:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/news/130924.html

Basically, domestic K, sun destination W S T L K, and international W S are Tango, as of today.

margarita girl Sep 24, 2013 7:25 am

Hilarious. I have an S fare to IST for next Feb. I will be celebrating all the way to IST as I kiss AC goodbye forever!

Impact on eUpgrade eligibility
If you’re an Air Canada Altitude member and you or your eUpgrade Nominee(s) have made a booking before September 24, 2013 in a booking class that is moving from Flex to Tango, your reservation will automatically be rebooked into a Flex booking class and will remain eligible for eUpgrades.

Learn more about Air Canada eUpgrades.

Impact on mileage accumulation
If you’re an Aeroplan member (including Air Canada Altitude members) and you made a booking before September 24, 2013 in a booking class that is moving from Flex to Tango, you’ll automatically continue to earn 100% Altitude Qualifying Miles for your flight.

Learn more about mileage accumulation on Air Canada flights.

Jasper2009 Sep 24, 2013 7:34 am

Are they ******** kidding? Another major enhancement without any advance notice? Seriously?

The Tango fare category now consists of 10 (!) fare classes on intŽl flights whereas only V, Q, H and M are left in the Flex category (plus U, though not many routes have U fares anyway).

I guess weŽll end up with zero fare classes left in the Flex category while AC still proudly advertises "We are glad to offer international upgrades from any Flex fare to our most valued customers".

Seems like it was a great decision to move some of my flying to AA.

Tax Dude Sep 24, 2013 7:37 am

I didn't notice this change, thanks for the heads-up. My son is flying to LHR on one of these fares next month and it's showing Tango right now. I'll have to keep an eye on it to make sure it gets changed!

Jasper2009 Sep 24, 2013 7:40 am

Originally Posted by Tax Dude (Post 21495633)
I didn't notice this change...

That was part of the plan, it seems.:rolleyes:

AC manages to send me useless e-mails about all sorts of crap, but an e-mail about relevant program changes probably is expecting too much.

YYZFlyboy Sep 24, 2013 7:53 am

Ha ha, ya gotta laugh, the enhancements just keep on coming!

They must be trying to find the breaking point of their "most loyal customers".

They are certainly doing a good job of that activity.

King Chung Huang Sep 24, 2013 7:53 am

...! More fare classes going to Tango! As if Flex wasn't expensive enough already.

markandrew Sep 24, 2013 8:07 am

Wow, AC really are just taking the worst of every single programme and putting them together into AP.

This is in line with LH's last devaluation. Every devaluation they will compare to another airline but the problem is they do not match the strong points of any programme.

Anyway, I will hit 50k this year, quite by accident due to a windfall in January but then it is adios.

One thing I am really impatient to see is how they will price Y+ when it comes into being on competitive routes. AF is exorbitant on point to point Y+ whereas BA, CX and others price consistently fairly; is Y+ going to end up cheaper than Flex?

For transatlantic, BA has excellent availability in premium classes in 2014 from East coast gateways. Purchase a Y+ fare for around $1,300 - take 10% off the whole price (not just the base fare) with an RBC BA card, and upgrade for 10,000 Avios. Upgrade guaranteed from day 1 and earn miles back as if you paid J!

Yul_voyager Sep 24, 2013 8:07 am

Just tried a dummy booking in January YUL-CDG
Now Flex is exactly the same price as PE. 750$ more than Tango.
Quite expensive for the risk to be putted in sardine class !!

markandrew Sep 24, 2013 8:10 am

Originally Posted by Yul_voyager (Post 21495806)
Just tried a dummy booking in January YUL-CDG
Now Flex is exactly the same price as PE. 750$ more than Tango.
Quite expensive for the risk to be putted in sardine class !!

The density of that plane makes sardine class look like a compliment! It is far more packed than the Transat format that was known as Air Sardine and which was eventually revamped in favour of a more spacious cabin.

Yul_voyager Sep 24, 2013 8:24 am

Originally Posted by markandrew (Post 21495826)
The density of that plane makes sardine class look like a compliment! It is far more packed than the Transat format that was known as Air Sardine and which was eventually revamped in favour of a more spacious cabin.

the sardine class of the hell device is a good description for these seats I think :D

luchoqc Sep 24, 2013 8:29 am

Whoah... !!!
Here is what I believe is the plan. Random booking YUL-EZE in January (21-29) 2014. Tango return is 1057$ which is probably 3-400$ less than what it used to be, at least 2 years ago. Flex return is more or less 1600$. So if you're below SE level, and you want to upgrade, you'll need 34 credits + 1000$. Your J seat cost you 2600$.

Now look at Z class price tag: 3472$ return...

They lower their price for the mass market leisure/cheap traveler, they try to push corporate spending up by bringing Y folks in J at a lower price, and they abandon all the mid-level frequent flyers...

markandrew Sep 24, 2013 8:36 am

Originally Posted by luchoqc (Post 21495955)
They lower their price for the mass market leisure/cheap traveler

Show me a scrap of evidence of this happening please!

guessaaa Sep 24, 2013 8:37 am

I knew the recent increase in AQM was too good to be true.

YYCYYZ Sep 24, 2013 8:50 am

I am trying REALLY hard to be surprised.

I've got to book my fall travel which is about 24000 miles. I am trying to keep AC at a minimum.

And this is from a SE-to-be. Nice work AC.