Search

Ken Chase is haunting me

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Talking Ken Chase is haunting me

Iīm sure the regular AC fliers know Ken Chase, the wine expert who presumably chooses the "excellent" wines in intīl J.

I recently decided to diversity my flying a little and earn status with AA and was looking forward to experiencing a different product.

When reading the J menu I had a déjá vu experience: The menu read "The following exclusive wines were chosen by wine expert Ken Chase".

I wonder how many other airlines have a contract with Ken?
Old Sep 21, 2013, 4:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
New wine rotation for International J scheduled for October 1st.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
New wine rotation for International J scheduled for October 1st.
Cool. To be fair, the wines have slightly improved over the years and there are usually 1-2 decent options.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: AC SEMM
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
When reading the J menu I had a déjá vu experience: The menu read "The following exclusive wines were chosen by wine expert Ken Chase".

His PhD. His PhD. What happened to his PhD? It's all I can think of when I look at the wine list
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Cool. To be fair, the wines have slightly improved over the years and there are usually 1-2 decent options.
I feel the same. I do not drink much on the airplane
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by visitor
His PhD. His PhD. What happened to his PhD? It's all I can think of when I look at the wine list
I believe he never finished... Turned into a wine whore.

Too busy picking cheap wines for cheap airlines.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:27 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Iīm sure the regular AC fliers know Ken Chase, the wine expert who presumably chooses the "excellent" wines in intīl J.

I recently decided to diversity my flying a little and earn status with AA and was looking forward to experiencing a different product.

Off topic for sure....but how is the AA experience going? Curious as I've been considering the same thing as pushing to 200k, 250k on AC seems pointless.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 7:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dorian
Off topic for sure....but how is the AA experience going? Curious as I've been considering the same thing as pushing to 200k, 250k on AC seems pointless.
Iīm on my way to earning EXP status thanks to the recent promo (30k EQM in this fall earns you EXP status if you were lucky enough to sign up during the few hours the promo was live).

Old AA J seat is mediocre - new AA J seat is awesome, soft product not very impressive so far, elite benefits are different, some benefits are better, some arenīt. I was planning to post a detailed AC vs. AA comparison in the near future (assuming it would be of interest to some FTers), but Iīm afraid youīll have to wait a little for that.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
You do realize that he has selected wines for a Higher Authority?? The Pope (doesn't specify which one) on a visit to Canada. It's right there on the resume.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

You do realize that he has selected wines for a Higher Authority?? The Pope (doesn't specify which one) on a visit to Canada. It's right there on the resume.
Being Protestant I donīt care too much about the Pope and what wine he drinks.

Based on his resume it actually seems heīs a well-educated person having studied at multiple reputable universities and being fluent in multiple languages.

I just find it somewhat amusing that he would want his name prominently affiliated with the wines served in AA/AC J, which probably cost the airlines less than $10/bottle.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
I just find it somewhat amusing that he would want his name prominently affiliated with the wines served in AA/AC J, which probably cost the airlines less than $10/bottle.
And yet they still don't like wasting any. "Sir, would you like to finish the bottle?" when I've already had half of it on a two hour flight
Old Sep 22, 2013, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

But which pope? Surely he is not old enough to have been around last time we had a pope who knew his wine?

Current one probably is happy with $8 malbec. Previous one likely did not go beyond riesling. As to the Pole, did he even touch wine at all, apart from white estramadura?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.