Question: YYC to LGA/JFK/EWR?

Old Sep 22, 13, 11:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, *G, Fairmont Plat, BA Gold
YYC to LGA/JFK/EWR?

There was a post I believe earlier last week regarding flights NYC to YYZ and performance. Similar question, but wondering which is the best routing YYC to New York City i.e. LGA, JFK or EWR.

There is a direct flight YYC/EWR however I hear that train ride is a little long into the city, am I better to connect through YYZ on to LGA/JFK?

Also I am flying paid J and have Nexus.

Thx
Old Sep 22, 13, 11:18 am

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
If your final destination is Midtown Manhattan forget JFK - it's the furthest out.

LGA for proximity.

EWR for non-stop convenience.

My experience in travel times: EWR is marginally longer than LGA when taking the Airport Express bus.
Old Sep 22, 13, 12:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Bonvoy PLAT, Fairmont PLAT, Priority Pass
EWR

AC has the only non-stop (to EWR). Aircraft is E90, however.

UA routes via IAH to EWR and ORD & DEN to LGA.

Train service from EWR to midtown is frequent/dependable so that would be my choice.
Old Sep 22, 13, 2:28 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, SPG Gold, UA MP
If you're here for business book online for a EWR-Manhattan car service/limo ride, about $80 and gets you into the city in half hour without traffic.

I would take direct flight to save the hassle. If weather is an issue YYZ-LGA segment often gets delayed.
Old Sep 22, 13, 3:09 pm

Go for lie flat on the long haul:
AC227 YYC-YVR
CX888 YVR-JFK

DL161 JFK-SEA
AS2114 SEA-YYC
Old Sep 22, 13, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Having done it a few times, my recommendation in the direct flight in, LGA out. You arrives at EWR ~6:30pm and either Dial9 or the Airport Express get you to midtown quickly as its against traffic. On the way home, the directly flight leaves very early am, so it's not practical. Instead, take a later flight from LGA and connect through Toronto on the last flight. If you're looking for a romantic weekend away, 0.5 a vacation day gets you 2 days and 2 nights in NYC.
Old Sep 22, 13, 3:59 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy PE/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by jjclancy View Post
Go for lie flat on the long haul:
AC227 YYC-YVR
CX888 YVR-JFK
Definitely a great way to fly but how important is time? Backtracking West to travel East and a Red-Eye - estimate the total elapsed travel time over 9 hours versus YYC-EWR non-stop 4 hours & 34 minutes.
Old Sep 22, 13, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
From Calgary, I would say outbound, certainly EWR would be the best. Train to downtown is fast enough, and the timing is good- leave YYC around lunch time, arrive late afternoon.

Return, I would say LGA. The departure time of AC's EWR-YYC is quite early, so if you want to work half a day (or just not wake up by 5), LGA is better. AC has a good operation at LGA, with lots of flights, staff, a lounge, priority security, the works. There are many flights available all day via. YYZ and YUL that would make connecting painless. Also, after a long business trip, being able to hop into a cab for a short ride to LGA sure beats a long train ride/taxi ride, to EWR.
Old Sep 22, 13, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC E75, *G, Fairmont Plat, BA Gold
First thanks for all the replies, I really appreciate all the different routes.

As much fun as the CX 888 sounds I am going to try and stay within star alliance, could use the points to ensure my E50 status next year. Time isnít a big constraint as I am flying for a conference Wed-Friday and most likely spending the weekend visiting family on long island, thus flying home though LGA is optimal.

I think YYC to EWR direct is probably best with return LGA / YYZ/YYC

The YYC/EWR route, being an E90 does that has an oven or is it cold meals?

Also gtpidddy taking your suggestion for a towncar, can you recommend one company over another?

Thx again.
Old Sep 22, 13, 5:47 pm

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by mkavie View Post
Also gtpidddy taking your suggestion for a towncar, can you recommend one company over another?
Hands down..... www.uber.com
Old Sep 22, 13, 6:12 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by mkavie View Post
I think YYC to EWR direct is probably best with return LGA / YYZ/YYC

The YYC/EWR route, being an E90 does that has an oven or is it cold meals?

Thx again.
Hot meals. AC had all their E90s retrofitted with ovens.

Uber or Dial9 are both great for airport service.

Search this Thread