Community
Wiki Posts
Search

tax on reward ticket

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2002, 11:18 am
Original Poster

tax on reward ticket

I just redeemed two reward tickets YYZ-YVR using my AP miles. At the end I was charged $90.80 tax on these two tickets. I know there is $24 security tax on each, but what are the others? Anyone can share some thoughts?
Old Apr 2, 2002, 11:26 am

Security fee ($24 each)
YYZ AIF ($10 each)
NAV Canada Levy
GST on all of it (yup, you pay tax on the tax)
Old Apr 2, 2002, 11:38 am

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
I believe that AC still has their fuel surcharge on tickets. You'll pay that one too.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
It is not appropriate for AC to charge NAV Canada and Fuel Surcharges on reward tickets - these are not taxes. An aeroplan reward ticket is to be free and only taxes imposed by government/airport service fees charged TO THE PASSENGER should be added. I ticketed some award flights in December and was NOT charged anything but AIF and GST on AIF. [these were domestic flights]

If AC is changing its practice then this is plain wrong.

edited to add domestic flights and spelling

[This message has been edited by Altaflyer (edited 04-02-2002).]
Old Apr 2, 2002, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I was charged around $20 in October for a YYZ-YVR award ticket. With the new security fee it should work out to around $45 each. If you were charged $90.80 for 2 tickets, it seems right to me.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 1:46 pm
Original Poster

Thanks folks. Free ticket is not free any more. Does other US carriers also charge these fees for tickets orginating from Canada?
Old Apr 2, 2002, 1:54 pm
ALW

Well you're certainly going to be dinged for the $10 Airport Improvement Fee if you're flying out of Ottawa (if you fly from Vancouver, you pay it yourself, and they don't care what the ticket cost). And another U$6 for the INS's charges. (I used to pay ~C$19 for an award ticket YOW-IAD).

Same with the security fee, although since you're talking about transborder flights (US carriers flying from Canadian airport) I don't recall if it's $12 one-way but it probably is.

Those are user fees the airline is collecting and paying on your behalf, and I doubt any airline would eat them.

andrew
Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:15 pm

Goldcap,
Are you booked on direct flights yyz-yvr-yyz.(without any stopover or mileage purchace) if so, the tax is 10.70 AIF in yyz and 24.00 new security tax...Grand total 34.70 per ticket.
Aeroplan reward ticket doesn't have any other charges (fuel surcharge, Nav canada, etc.)
Thanks,
ASA
Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:18 pm

If you add up the YYZ AIF, security and the fuel surcharge it comes up to more than $90 so I don't think fuel surcharges are apply. I can't remember what makes up the other roughly $8 per ticket here, it's not the INS charge as this is domestic.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:25 pm

Bytepusher,

Reward tickets have NO Taxes except for Federal taxes.

cheers,
ASA
Old Apr 2, 2002, 4:29 pm
ALW

ASA, wouldn't that be $10.70 AIF and $25.68 security fee?

andrew
Old Apr 2, 2002, 5:01 pm

No, the GST is included in the 24.00 security tax.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 6:37 pm

Programs: AE
For a simple YYZ-YVR (no stopovers or connections), the taxes should be as follows:

Security tax (CA): 22.43 roundtrip
GST on CA (XG) : 1.57
AIF for YYZ (SQ) : 10.00
GST on SQ (XG) : 0.70 (XG now totals 2.27)
Total Per Person : 34.70

If multiplied by 2 this equals 69.40, henced there seems to be an extra 21.40 charged (or possibly 2 AIF's and GST on them (10.70 x 2)). If you are not stopping anywhere else that has an applicable AIF, I suggest you contact Aeroplan again to have them verify the taxes charged.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 8:01 pm
ALW

ASA, you mean that National Post article I just quoted in another thread was wrong!? I am shocked and appalled!

andrew

[This message has been edited by Andrew Webber (edited 04-02-2002).]
Old Apr 2, 2002, 8:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I've noticed that AC's site now breaks down most of these additional charges when the final fare comes up. For too long it has been next to impossible to decipher the string of numbers found on an airline ticket [hey, what are those?] or to even get an explanation of all those codes.

However, there now appears to be considerable confusion over how the GST is applied to the new Security Fee. CPYVR says it is included in the $24. But in both example tables printed in the Toronto Star on Sunday, and sourced from AC and WestJet, the GST is added on top of the $24, imposing yet another $1.68.

All airlines must include the same set of taxes and fees in their award tickets, so don't dump on AC for this one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.