Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Aloha Will Serve Vancouver With Daily Nonstops Beginning This Summer

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2002, 10:16 pm
Original Poster

Nice to see some competition for AC:

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/020404/lath105_1.html
Old Apr 4, 2002, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz Presidents Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Wow - that's excellent. Odd timing though - summer is not the peak for Hawaii travel.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 10:37 pm

Parochial vision I'm afraid.

Summer is probably a great time for Hawaiians to get away from the stifling heat by heading to the Great White North.

Keep in mind they are a Hawaiian Airline, not Canadian.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 10:51 pm

Programs: AA, AB, AC, AD, AE, AF, AG... you get the picture
wow - it's kind of amazing what Boeing has done to the venerable 737 airframe. I remember those 737-200's that PWA used to fly - short legs! Now, the 700 series flies nearly 50% further (with equivalent passenger loads) - who would have thought that we'd see them shuttling between HNL and YVR?

Hey, does this route count as ETOPS? and if so, is the 737 ETOPS certified?
Old Apr 4, 2002, 10:54 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Yes, Aloha has 180 min. ETOPS certification on their 737-700s.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 4:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

United Plus members earn 100% of actual miles flown or 500 miles minimum within the islands.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 6:01 am

Programs: AA, AC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ken hAAmer:
Parochial vision I'm afraid.

Summer is probably a great time for Hawaiians to get away from the stifling heat by heading to the Great White North.
</font>
Summer is actually a high season in Hawaii because of its year-round moderate climate. Mainlanders go there to escape the summer heat.

The Vancouver area might have great appeal for Hawaii residents, but there's no "stifling heat" for them to escape. Also, Hawaii is a favourite destination for Japanese tourists. And Japanese tourists love Western Canada. That could be one of AH's target markets.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by After Burner:
Also, Hawaii is a favourite destination for Japanese tourists. And Japanese tourists love Western Canada. That could be one of AH's target markets.</font>
Been quite a bit of dropoff of Japanese tourists from the peaks in these two markets. Anyway, since AQ doesn't serve Japan, I doubt Japanese tourists who visit Hawaii would continue onto Canada especially as part of a package itinerary.

[This message has been edited by terenz (edited 04-05-2002).]
Old Apr 5, 2002, 9:30 am

Programs: AA, AC
Good point, terenz. Yes, the decline in Japanese visitors to Hawaii has been huge.

There are many Western Canadians with second homes in Maui. They could be a source of some traffic as (I believe) the AC YVR-OGG route is winter only. I think AC's HNL flights arrive too late to catch an interisland connection.

Oops, I did mean AQ, not AH. (I was thinking of HA.)
Old Apr 5, 2002, 10:44 am

Programs: Emirates Gold, Etihad Gold, Flying Blue Silver
Japanese tourism to Hawaii is now at 85% of pre-911 levels, so I guess the situation is improving.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 11:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Marco:
Japanese tourism to Hawaii is now at 85% of pre-911 levels, so I guess the situation is improving.</font>
Improving yes, but the volume of visits from Japan has been in a slump for a lot longer before 2001.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 12:03 pm

Programs: several
Woah...didn't see this one coming! I was expecting Hawaiian would initiate a YVR-OGG service soon, but I didn't think Aloha would do a HNL service. I have been on their OAK-OGG flight & it wasn't bad at all.

AQ & HA called off their merger recently, so this one is quite interesting.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 12:44 pm
CP7

Just wanted to add that Air Pacific has been flying HNL-YVR for a few years now on their 737's Fridays and Sundays.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by CP7:
Just wanted to add that Air Pacific has been flying HNL-YVR for a few years now on their 737's Fridays and Sundays.</font>
Since the latter part of 2000, I think. The FJ 737NGs (can't remember if they are -700s or -800s) do YVR-HNL-NAN and each leg must be among the longest 737 flights.
Old Apr 5, 2002, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
The FJ flights are using 737-800s.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.