Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

30000 aeroplan points no fee amex aeroplan gold card through a refferal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2014, 9:18 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by alc
I know it is off topic, but I never understood why so many people I know (and here) really care much about Target not accepting AMEX. Target is my main store these day, I pay with my Target MC and get 5% off. If you value AMEX MR and Aeroplan as 1 cent like I do, that 5 Aeroplan or 5 AMEX MR per dollar spend. Does any credit card in Canada give you 5% instance cash rebate or 5 Aeroplan per $1 spend? Maybe there is one, just I do not know. In case you may say Target stuff is expensive and I will say you are 100% (or even 200%) correct. That is why I price match. Every week, I gather all my flyers and go to Target and I price match everything, then I still get 5% off by using my Target MC... so that end up lower than the price at the other store.
I don't buy much from Target so I did not get the Target card. I agree, no other card gives 5 percent return except the first 6 month with a new smart cash card.

I use my Amex SPG card for majority of my purchases because I value it at 3 cents/point for SPG free nights when I travel to Europe and Asia.
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:03 am

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
I agree, no other card gives 5 percent return
I guess therefore you would have to agree that someone who described SPGs as being worth 5c and stating that the SPG card gives a 5% return would at best be engaging in ill-advised hyperbole and at worst be being deliberately deceptive?
Old Mar 14, 2014, 7:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold, Marriott
Originally Posted by markandrew
I guess therefore you would have to agree that someone who described SPGs as being worth 5c and stating that the SPG card gives a 5% return would at best be engaging in ill-advised hyperbole and at worst be being deliberately deceptive?
Please do not post this kind of nonsense. You have been warned so many times in the Amex forum and you never learn???? From now on, I will not respond to any of your posts about my posts because it is not worth my time.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 9:29 am

Programs: AC: Ac*A, , Nexus: Expired
Hi All

I just cancelled my aeroplan plus gold from about a year ago. How long do I need to wait until I can signup for the referall and get the 30K bonus?
Old Mar 15, 2014, 10:28 am

3 months from the date you cancel if you are being aggressive. or 6 months if you are playing it safe
Old Mar 15, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: AC - E50, CX - G, Accor Plat, SPG Gold
I know someone who cancelled and signed back up no problems after less than two months, and I know someone who signed back up after 5 months and was denied bonus but did get FYF at least.

These are just data points to show Amex is consistently inconsistent, there is no golden rule but I am choosing to be conservative. I am looking forward to getting my Gold Rewards card back, miss those 2MR/$ a lot especially when booking travel, but I am gonna wait it out to six months.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by alexisonsmith
3 months from the date you cancel if you are being aggressive. or 6 months if you are playing it safe
Originally Posted by markandrew
I know someone who cancelled and signed back up no problems after less than two months, and I know someone who signed back up after 5 months and was denied bonus but did get FYF at least.

These are just data points to show Amex is consistently inconsistent, there is no golden rule but I am choosing to be conservative. I am looking forward to getting my Gold Rewards card back, miss those 2MR/$ a lot especially when booking travel, but I am gonna wait it out to six months.
yes, i thikn the rule is recommend 3, to play it safe 6. i personally do 6 with all the churns i coordinate.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 3:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Cana2013
I still have two gift cards from the Tim Hortons and Amex promo. Now every time I am in Tim for coffee I would watch if people use Amex cards to pay but rarely see one.
The word probably hasn't got out that Tim Hortons now accept Amex. I found out by walking into a Tim Hortons and for some reason I used my Amex.

Regarding Target.. I had a bad taste walking in the first time and they said they don't take Amex. I left a cart full of stuff, and ended up leaving without buying anything. My time is valuable, and if something catches my attention enough I don't like, then I end up leaving and never coming back. I did go into a Target and asked again if they took Amex because I was walking by in a shopping centre, so convenient enough. But the answer was no, and I'm not shopping there.

Target US, no problems there. Target is not meeting projections in Canada.
Old Mar 15, 2014, 6:55 pm

Programs: *void
The whole point of last Fall's "Get a $10 Amex Credit after spending $20 at Tim Hortons" was to raise awareness that Amex was now being accepted at Timmies, though I had been using it for months before that promo. So, every time I patronize a Timmies I do see an Amex card being used (d-uhhh!! ), but at the same time I don't look out for what other people are paying with, thus compromising the privacy of other people's card preferences.

For that promo, my wife and I registered all of our Amex cards, including the supplementary cards, and we managed to get over a dozen $20 Tims Gift Cards at 50% off, and then gave most of them away as stocking stuffers.

Now, to keep on topic and provide USEFUL information for this thread, I used my AeroPlus card at a Timmies this morning, and normally I insert the card and punch in my PIN, but today I was surprised that I could actually wave the card and use the ExpressPay (PayWave, PayPass) feature. Since the card doesn't show any symbols to indicate this is available I had never tried it until today! Oh, how much time I've wasted all these past few months!
Old Mar 15, 2014, 8:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I've also been using the pay wave paypass feature more lately. If the feature is available, why swipe or insert card? I notice with all the cc use, my stripes wear down and I eventually need to get various cards replaced. Hassle, and inconvenience having to wait for another card through the mail.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 4:58 am

Originally Posted by yerffej201
yes, i thikn the rule is recommend 3, to play it safe 6. i personally do 6 with all the churns i coordinate.
Just wanted to let you know I just applied for the AMEX using your link. I got approved so it looks like you will be receiving the 10k bonus.

I would like to refer my friends do I need to wait for the card in the mail before I can do that?
Old Mar 16, 2014, 5:58 am

Originally Posted by 604girl
Just wanted to let you know I just applied for the AMEX using your link. I got approved so it looks like you will be receiving the 10k bonus.

I would like to refer my friends do I need to wait for the card in the mail before I can do that?
You have to wait for the card
Old Mar 16, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Quote:

yes, i thikn the rule is recommend 3, to play it safe 6. i personally do 6 with all the churns i coordinat

You have to wait until you receive the card. I would also wait until you've actually received the points in your account before making your invitation to your friends.
Old Mar 16, 2014, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by jerry305
You have to wait until you receive the card. I would also wait until you've actually received the points in your account before making your invitation to your friends.
No need to wait for the points to post (which is A MONTH at max. after you spent $500)

I started my referral link the day I got the card & activated in Sept 2013, no issues so far
Old Mar 16, 2014, 3:08 pm

Appreciate your support!
You need your card number before you can send your own referral links, so you do have to wait for the card to arrive.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.