Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC now overbooks in J

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2013, 3:24 pm

Programs: AC-SE, EK-G, GF-G
Originally Posted by xsbaggage
Have a paid J ticket YYT-YYC for Aug 5 booked on Aug 2.
Tried OLCI at 23.5 hrs and got GTE assignment.
At airport today told 'It will be worked out"
Paged at desk and given seat 33A - asked about IDB compensation and re-routing and met with blank stares.
Explained that a refund to company buying ticket is not in my best interests.
Eventually rebooked YYT-YHZ-YUL-YOW-YYC in J but moans about redirecting baggage - not my problem.
Presume I'm still entitled to my $100
Is this a new enhancement or have I been away from AC for too long to realise that it's got worse than I thought it had.
Very interesting, and thanks for sharing. If you had a paid J ticket, why were you not assigned a seat in J class on August 2?
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
This topic has been extensively covered in the past. AC does not routinely oversell J/Class. Of the thousands of flight manifests I have pulled up, I think I have seen it less than a half a dozen times, and mainly because of an operational configuration change.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
I know there were no canceled AC flights from YYT before the flight yesterday. I know that there were a lot of ML*1's and at least one of those was an op up due to oversold Y cabin.

The point is that in August, flights from YYT-YYZ (etc) are generally very full in Y but light on paid J pax, so the situation seems really odd to be oversold in J and having paid J passengers bumped to the back.
Cancelation of another flight the day before, passenger rerouting (Gander or deer lake for example), passenger from earlier flight who missed his flight, etc etc....
Old Aug 5, 2013, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Today's Rapidair flight was up gauged from a A320 to a B763. Many more J seats available mrs.acysb87 was switched to 1A from 2C and I was left in 2A I counted at least 4FAs in cabin in uniform and 2 more in civilian attire. (one FA was in Jump seat.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hearna
Cancelation of another flight the day before, passenger rerouting (Gander or deer lake for example), passenger from earlier flight who missed his flight, etc etc....
These would not be confirmed before someone with a confirmed reservation though. They'll only make it if there are seats. So that's not an explanation.

Either some mistake, equipment change, deadheading captain. Or perhaps more likely, there was a broken seat on the J fully booked flight.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:31 am

Programs: AC*SE
Originally Posted by winnipegrev
What were your original flights? Since YYT-YYC isn't flown nonstop.

AC doesn't normally overbook J, I assume some other flight got downgauged and higher priority passengers (Paid J AND SE) bumped you. But still, something smells fishy here... particularly since J loads out of YYT are almost always low and the chances of them being able to overbook it, even if they could, are probably less than the odds of winning the 6/49.
I have to disagree with your comment. As an SE I have never been able to get an upgrade YYT - YYZ, and only once in 12 trys the other way. I'm always successful YYT - LHR and most times YYZ - LHR too.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 7:15 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Something very fishy with this story - a paid J would have priority over anyone else,
and I doubt there was a cabin full with only dead-heading captains and all paid J.

Confirmed upgrades would be unconfirmed before you got bumped.
Even with a previous flight cancellation, those pax would be after you.

Something does not add up here.
Is it possible that your confirmed J ticket was only booked in Y, waitlisted in J?
Or something similar?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
This topic has been extensively covered in the past. AC does not routinely oversell J/Class. Of the thousands of flight manifests I have pulled up, I think I have seen it less than a half a dozen times, and mainly because of an operational configuration change.
^
How many pages can we get on this thread about a questionable story (at best) with an obvious "Look at Me!!!" title?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
^
How many pages can we get on this thread about a questionable story (at best) with an obvious "Look at Me!!!" title?
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:32 am

Originally Posted by airbus320
What's confusing exactly?

ACYYZ/SD summarized the entire situation quite succinctly backed by 1000s more data points than the OP's supposed situation.

"Air Canada now overbooks in J" is an absurd title for a thread
Old Aug 6, 2013, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's confusing exactly?
The cheap shot at the title.

This is a newbie posting....give him/her a break.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:10 am

Programs: AC*SE, AC*MM, SPG Gold, FPC Plat, HHonors Diamond, PC Plat Elite, R&C Club 5C, Hyatt GP
ACYYZ/SD summarized the entire situation quite succinctly backed by 1000s more data points than the OP's supposed situation.
We all know what AC did in the past, but those data points are irrelevant if there has been a silent change in policy. It would be nice to be told that there has been no change.

Perhaps if AC's gate agent had provided a proper explanation of why the OP had been downgraded, this discussion would have been unnecessary.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:25 am

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by airbus320
The cheap shot at the title.

This is a newbie posting....give him/her a break.
Who made an assumption on a fairly significant policy change based on a sample size of 1.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 11:31 am

Programs: ACSEMM QRGold SPGLifetimePlat FairmontPlat HyattD AMEXCenturion SerenaPlat TalkBoard Founding Member
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Who made an assumption on a fairly significant policy change based on a sample size of 1.
Yes, a mod should change the title to at minimum add a question mark.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by ACYYZ/SD
Yet we've had lots of anecdotal evidence over the years that AC does oversell J, particularly on routes like YYZ-HKG and YVR-HKG, because J customers are frequent no-shows on such. Leading to some almost predictable fiascos during the Chinese New Year season.

There's nothing wrong with overbooking J. AC being forced to buy a seat on a competitor or disgorge a fare is a minor cost compared to letting J seats fly unsold or given away to upgraders for nothing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.