Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: YOW to Europe with fewest YQ

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: YOW to Europe with fewest YQ

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2013, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

YOW to Europe with fewest YQ

Newbie looking to book flights to Europe over September/
October using 60,000 AP. Want to go to London, Amsterdam, Prague and Budapest. I know I don't have enough points to get to Prague or Budapest but would be wiling to stop in Germany or Zurich and take trains to fill in the gaps. Shocked at fuel surcharges. Want to plan my trip avoiding AC and other airlines where surcharges collected, probably UA or US. Which fare classes are available to aeroplan.
Old Jul 5, 2013, 7:05 pm

If you go YOW-YUL-ZRH you avoid the TATL fuel surcharge which is the brutal one. The YQ for the YOW-YUL part of your trip will be close to the most expensive part of the whole trip but it will only add up to a couple of hundred dollars total. I guess this is more reasonable if you are going for a premium cabin redemption though.

If you want to avoid YQ as much as possible then look for flights connecting in EWR, PHL or IAD. Those are the most convenient gateways from YOW if YQ avoidance is your main objective. Just search for round trips from those cities and then check to see if the YOW-XXX segment is available. You could also add in ORD but then your flight times will be higher.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 4:44 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
UA via EWR or IAD. Newer planes is a bonus.
(Brussels also flies a nice J product IAD-BRU 5x week.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 5:10 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by Drazzi
Newbie looking to book flights to Europe over September/
October using 60,000 AP. Want to go to London, Amsterdam, Prague and Budapest. I know I don't have enough points to get to Prague or Budapest but would be wiling to stop in Germany or Zurich and take trains to fill in the gaps. Shocked at fuel surcharges. Want to plan my trip avoiding AC and other airlines where surcharges collected, probably UA or US. Which fare classes are available to aeroplan.
I've done YOW-EWR-BRU with UA before reasonably cheaply. I found there was a lot of availability as well at the time. Given it seems you have enough points for a Y award, you'll be looking to book in "X" class. You may want to consider the extra $ to buy points for the "I" (or business) class though--would be an extra $900 if you needed 30,000 points--better ride, better baggage allowance, better value overall for the points. You can also buy a reasonably priced ticket ($900) in economy--so you're getting approx. 1.5 cpm on the points if you use 60,000 for an economy ticket... this compares to approx. 6.8 cpm if you redeem for business.

Last edited by YQMer; Jul 6, 2013 at 7:25 am Reason: typo
Old Jul 6, 2013, 6:32 am

Programs: IHG Gold
You can also fly SK to Europe (ARN/CPH) from ORD or NYC.
Old Jul 6, 2013, 7:24 am

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
duplicate
Old Jul 7, 2013, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.