Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

AC, where's your TPAC wifi service?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AC, where's your TPAC wifi service?

Search this Thread

Old May 27, 2013, 12:41 pm

Originally Posted by PreferJ
I don't think they ever gave it a chance.

Had I been them, I would have tried it out on several routes to try and appeal to different demographics.

i.e. YYZ - PHX (the Snowbird / golf crowd and many business junkets)
YYZ - LAS (business types on the way to conventions)
YYZ - MCO (keep the kiddies entertained on the way to see Mickey and business types like those going to LAS)

Loved the comment about a UA 744 being ahead of anything.
Usually the AC wifi places do LAX-YYZ? Although I've had it once YVR-EWR which was really cool.
Old May 27, 2013, 1:24 pm
Suspended

The reason why the 747s are the first UA widebodies to get wifi is because they don't have AVOD in economy, just communal screens with a single movie playing. (Business and First have AVOD).
When it's working that is (in AC).
Old May 27, 2013, 3:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Originally Posted by yerffej201
Usually the AC wifi places do LAX-YYZ? Although I've had it once YVR-EWR which was really cool.
Originally I think they tried to assign the aircraft to LAX/SFO flying as they had on-board support from the provider company on board. I've seen these aircraft everywhere and anywhere.
Old May 28, 2013, 12:09 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
Initially, the wifi wasn't authorized over Canadian airspace, so it was used only on the LAX routes. The CRTC eventually approved it for Canada, but AC hasn't expanded their service.

I was on a LAS > YYZ flight once and it had wifi, I didn't purchase it though. I had no need for it for the 4.5 hr flight. I generally have enough shows on my iPad to keep me entertained for hours.
Old May 28, 2013, 4:19 pm

Actually, Industry Canada is the regulatory authority with respect to frequency spectrum use in Canada rather than the CRTC. The air-ground frequency spectrum in Canada was subject to a public auction in 2009 and the successful company was SkySurf Canada.

SkySurf wins licence, wants inflight Internet to take off in Canadian skies - 15 June 2009

In 2010, they issued a press release indicating that they had partnered with Aircell to provide inflight WiFi in Canada by the end of 2011:

SKYSURF AND AIRCELL TO COLLABORATE IN LAUNCHING FIRST-EVER INFLIGHT INTERNET SERVICES IN CANADA - 4 November 2010

Obviously, this has yet to happen and then in August of 2012, there was another "new" announcement saying basically the same thing - that GoGo (formerly Aircell) had partnered with SkySurf and will begin offering inflight WiFi in Canada by the end of 2013:

Canada clears Wi-Fi in the skies with Gogo plan approval - 28 August 2012

Then, in March of this year, it was announced that GoGo Biz will be available to business aircraft over Canada in the first quarter of 2014:

Aircell Announces Expected Coverage Areas for Gogo Biz In-Flight Internet in Canada - 26 March 2013

All that to say that inflight WiFi is coming to Canada ... someday ... probably ...
Old May 28, 2013, 4:27 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
Originally Posted by mendy7511
Hmm, 33-0. Not that much ahead at all.
Hmm, considering that AC's long haul fleet total 54 (58 if Rouge is included) that's more wifi equipped aircraft than AC, right?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.