Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:06 am
Moderator, Air Canada; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Out of curiosity, how does AC wifi compare to the wifi offered by UA and other * partners in terms of speed? I found UA's wifi to be quite serviceable on the long-haul flights (i.e. my recent 13+ hour flight from SIN to SFO).
Are you asking about the speed of the narrowbody fleet with the older ATG tech or the newer satellite tech in some narrowbodies and all widebodies?

The 320 family, Embraers, etc have an older Gogo system. It's generally similar to the same generation of tech on the US carriers.

I've had very little chance to use the satellite WiFi, but found it pretty good.

Keep in mind that WiFi quality also depends on location. For instance, on routes that fly near the poles, because of limited satellite coverage, you will get generally crummy (if any) WiFi. As an example, I bought WiFi on an LH 744 a couple of years ago, FRA-YVR. For the first couple of hours, I was live streaming soccer at a decent video quality. As we got farther north, the WiFi became essentially useless for even sending tiny e-mails, let alone anything fun.

But a few weeks ago, YYZ-BOG was about as good as when I got WiFi from UA on SIN-SFO a couple of years ago.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Does anyone know what the pricing model is for wifi service?

I was aware that pricing differed for NA routes vs. int'l routes, but I was rather surprised that 1h of basic wifi cost 70% more on this month's YVR-LHR flight vs. this month's SYD-YVR flight. (Prices were $8.50CAD + PST vs. $5 for 1h).

While I could see how it could make sense to charge different prices for the "wifi for the entire flight" package, I found the price discrepancy for 1h of wifi to be rather bizarre.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:23 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Does anyone know what the pricing model is for wifi service?

I was aware that pricing differed for NA routes vs. int'l routes, but I was rather surprised that 1h of basic wifi cost 70% more on this month's YVR-LHR flight vs. this month's SYD-YVR flight. (Prices were $8.50CAD + PST vs. $5 for 1h).

While I could see how it could make sense to charge different prices for the "wifi for the entire flight" package, I found the price discrepancy for 1h of wifi to be rather bizarre.
@Jasper2009

The prices vary. Or they did for a while.

Upthread, I posted screen shots I took while onboard HKG-YVR. It was $14 for 1 hour of browsing and $25 for 1 hour of streaming. I thought those prices were ridiculous.

On an August YYZ-FRA, it was $5 for 1 hour of browsing.
On a few recent AC YYZ-HKG, it was $5 for 1 hours of browsing, $11 for 1 hour of streaming. and $26 for full flight browsing (I don't recall the price for the full flight streaming)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: E35K, FPC Platinum
Has anyone tried the Holiday Messaging Pass

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html

and does it work? Can one send and receive messages for free?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Flying Blue Gold, Accor Silver, Hilton Diamond
It would be great if the different pricing models (both intl and NA) could be added to the wiki, but if they vary by route, it could be difficult to maintain. I will share the ones I see when I fly TPAC next month.

On EVA, it was around $22 for the whole flight unlimited. Not super fast, but still ok and managed to stream the radio at times. No way I’d spend $11 an hour though. Are AC prices $CAD?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:48 pm

Also can someone explain the rationale of the seeming fleet wide ban of Bluetooth device on AC aircraft. I haven't experienced this elsewhere. Is it regulatory? If so, why can't Industry Canada get with the program here?

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
Also can someone explain the rationale of the seeming fleet wide ban of Bluetooth device on AC aircraft. I haven't experienced this elsewhere. Is it regulatory? If so, why can't Industry Canada get with the program here?

Safe Travels,

James
It's not a fleet-wide ban. It's regulatory. If the aircraft has been approved and enabled for 2.4 GHz operation (i.e. has operational wifi), then Bluetooth is allowed.

Bluetooth has been allowed on wifi-enabled aircraft for quite a while.

I've certainly had airlines in other countries disallow all BT.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by canadiancow
It's not a fleet-wide ban. It's regulatory. If the aircraft has been approved and enabled for 2.4 GHz operation (i.e. has operational wifi), then Bluetooth is allowed.

Bluetooth has been allowed on wifi-enabled aircraft for quite a while.

I've certainly had airlines in other countries disallow all BT.
Damn Industry Canada! Meanwhile no qualms flying into Canadian airspace with airpods and working wifi on UA jet. Go figure!

-James
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:21 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by wysiwyg
It would be great if the different pricing models (both intl and NA) could be added to the wiki, but if they vary by route, it could be difficult to maintain. I will share the ones I see when I fly TPAC next month.

On EVA, it was around $22 for the whole flight unlimited. Not super fast, but still ok and managed to stream the radio at times. No way I’d spend $11 an hour though. Are AC prices $CAD?
AC prices are in CAD.

BR, LH and AA all offered the TMobile Deutsch Telekom wifi for the equivalent of $19.95 USD for the entire flight. LH also had some special on one flight for $15.95 USD. All of these flights were 12-15 hours. And wifi worked really well on all of these flights (more than one with these airlines).

Part of why I only chose to spend $5 for an hour on recent AC flights is part of my routes would not have coverage, or coverage would be spotty, and/or I was hoping to sleep for part of the flights, and, based on time zones, some of those I would be in contact with, would be sleeping. I don't need to stream so I would not buy streaming. Also, I found AC's total flight prices too high so I opted not to buy.
wysiwyg likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by Adam Smith
The 320 family, Embraers, etc have an older Gogo system. It's generally similar to the same generation of tech on the US carriers.
Actually, AC uses 3 different systems.
1) GTA - This system is mostly on the regional jets, and it starts to get spotty as you get north of the US border.
2) GTA4 - This is found on most of the other narrow bodies. It works better in the Northern parts of Canada
3) Satellite - This system is in the wide bodies. I am not sure which system will be in the 7M8s.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:29 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, FB Plat, WS Plat, BA Silver, DL GM, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
Actually, AC uses 3 different systems.
1) GTA - This system is mostly on the regional jets, and it starts to get spotty as you get north of the US border.
2) GTA4 - This is found on most of the other narrow bodies. It works better in the Northern parts of Canada
3) Satellite - This system is in the wide bodies. I am not sure which system will be in the 7M8s.
Thanks for the additional info. Aren't 1) and 2) pretty much the same though, more like 1A and 1B?

I've had plenty of spotty WiFi on 320 family planes on YUL-YYCs and even a few YYZ-YYC, when they track pretty far north.

Last edited by Adam Smith; Dec 29, 2018 at 9:47 am Reason: Corrected typo
Old Dec 29, 2018, 9:48 am

Nice to see WiFi finally rolling out on the 7M8s. Speed seems good so far, although no sign of a receipt in my e-mail yet...
Old Dec 30, 2018, 10:51 pm

Just thought I'd confirm the rumour that AC has wifi on their planes is true! I finally managed to catch an AC flight with one (YUL -> EWR today on a E175, didn't catch the fin # but was AC 7744). Didn't bother buying wifi since it was such a short flight but good to see nevertheless.

-James
Old Jan 3, 2019, 2:43 am

Programs: AC, MH, BA, AF-KL
AC64 ICN-YVR on Jan 6 seems to be getting FIN 831 according to the app but the website's wifi tracker says "no wifi". Which one should I believe?
Old Jan 3, 2019, 3:54 am

Programs: AC SE100K, F9 100k, NK Gold, UA *S, Hyatt Glob, Bonvoy Titanium
YYZ-DXB on 12/29, fin 732
In flight wifi worked very well, speedtest above 15mbps download. From what I noticed, I lost connectivity only a couple brief times.Entire flight pass was $21, however I redeemed two (!) amex gogowifi passes. About halfway into the flight the system acted like my unlimited session had expired and it made me re-purchase. Not sure if this is a glitch to late departure past 00:01 or overflying a date line somewhere.
wysiwyg likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.