Old Oct 26, 2015, 2:06 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Adam Smith
General WiFi Tidbits
  • WiFi is managed by "WiFi Onboard", formerly known as "Gogo"
  • If you have a pass from WiFi OnBoard for their entire fleet that will generally work
  • You can redeem Aeroplan points for various packages ranging from one hour to the entire flight and at different speeds
  • Only one device at a time can use the plan. Once you log in with another device with your WiFi Onboard or Aeroplan account the other device will drop
  • Rouge J customers are now getting a one-time WiFi Onboard code for free WiFi on the flight instead of getting an iPad

Detailed WiFi roll-out info compiled by FTers:

Planes with WiFi (confirmed by FTers):
  • GoGo 2Ku satellite-based system (fast, large coverage area, including over water - coverage map):
    • 319 (rouge)
    • 320 (rouge)
    • 321 (rouge)
    • 333 (except 946 and 948)
    • 789 (except 860)
    • 77L
    • 77W
  • Gogo ATG system (old, slow, only works over land in North America, and not very far north - coverage map)
    • CR9: 701-721, 780-784 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
    • E75
    • 319 (mainline)
    • 320 (mainline)
    • 321 (mainline)

Remaining planes planned for WiFi that are still without WiFI or unknown:
  • CR9: 722-730 (note: a recent report from a Jazz pilot suggests the system may be disabled on 780-784)
  • 7M8: all (AC had an embarrassing escapade with a Thales system that was completely inadequate. As of March 2023, they appear to have given up on this system. What they plan to replace it with is uncertain)
  • 789: 860
  • 333: 946, 948

Planes with no plans to install WiFi:
  • DH4s
  • CRJs

Air Canada Status WiFi Benefit
  • The benefit lasts for 12 months from the date of activation, which is the first date you sign into Gogo on an AC flight using your Aeroplan account. Date of benefit selection is irrelevant. It must be activated by the end of the calendar year.
  • Benefit currently works on all aircraft with WiFi, except possibly rouge. Some rouge aircraft have reported having access to the Aeroplan sign in which was required for the Aeroplan benefit to work. It's unknown whether the benefit will be extended to those fleets in the future.
  • The benefit says you can have up to 5 users but that is five unique devices in a one month period and not simultaneous usage. You will need to log off one device to use another device on the same flight. GoGo will apparently block if it sees too many devices in a one month period to avoid credential sharing.
  • There are huge problems with the Aeroplan login for this benefit. There is a high likelihood that you will need to attempt to log in numerous times for it to work, and it may not work at all. Chatting with WiFi Onboard support should get you a one-time code for free WiFi for the flight.
Print Wikipost

On-Board WIFI (2013-2022)

Old Dec 10, 2018, 4:25 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Marriott Titanium
I've used the wifi on AC15 twice in the last 3 weeks and been really impressed with speeds, though between meal service and sleep, I don't usually login until over Russia.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Further to my post upthread while onboard AC 15 to HKG on Dec 10......

First time I've seen this. As opposed to the wifi either working or not working, this was something kind of in between.

Ooooh, exciting

I kind of missed the little circling plan and here she is.

And here is where we were at the time. Just FYI.

I did 2 rounds of this and then the wifi connected and worked....for the hour I bought.
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
What's up with the 7M8?

I thought that at least one had wifi, but the wiki and AC's website say none have it yet.

Also, the website says the 333 installations have begun (with a few fins active), 77W is completely done, and 77L is half done.
Old Dec 14, 2018, 2:55 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by canadiancow
What's up with the 7M8?

I thought that at least one had wifi, but the wiki and AC's website say none have it yet.

Also, the website says the 333 installations have begun (with a few fins active), 77W is completely done, and 77L is half done.
Well, let me give you the information, as of today. The wiki is also updated:
7M8s 3 will be active starting Sunday morning
789s 4 of 29 are done
77Ws 19 of 19
77Ls 3 of 6
333 1 0f 8
ACr 763s 14 of 25
canadiancow, 24left and Adam Smith like this.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Dec 14, 2018 at 3:28 pm
Old Dec 17, 2018, 5:41 pm
Suspended

@qrctraveller posted in another thread about AC's holiday messaging pass

I looked on AC's wifi page and they have installation progress by aircraft type. I've added it to the wiki.

If you can't see the images there, here they are again

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/...ard/wi-fi.html

Old Dec 17, 2018, 6:06 pm

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
I can assure you that, where you see inconsistencies between 24left's post and mine, above, it is because my information is more current. They are pretty close, though.
24left likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:08 pm

Does anyone have the FINs for the 789 or 7M8 that are enabled?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:11 pm
Suspended

This was posted upthread on Nov 15

Originally Posted by YEG_SE4Life
FIN 831 a 789 comes out this week.
On Dec 14, he also psoted

Well, let me give you the information, as of today. The wiki is also updated:
7M8s 3 will be active starting Sunday morning
789s 4 of 29 are done
77Ws 19 of 19
77Ls 3 of 6
333 1 0f 8
ACr 763s 14 of 25
So, it seems our friend might have some answers
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Originally Posted by 24left

The wiki is updated ad of last Friday.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:18 pm

Originally Posted by 24left

That's one FIN, of the 7 I've asked about. I read the thread. I'm looking for information that is not in the thread. If the information were here, I wouldn't have asked.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:34 pm
Suspended

That's one FIN, of the 7 I've asked about. I read the thread. I'm looking for information that is not in the thread. If the information were here, I wouldn't have asked.

Your post said:

You did not write : "I'm looking for information that is not in the thread"

If you had, I would not have answered you.
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 19, 2018, 5:50 pm

Just realized this thread exist! Tracking wifi on AC planes down the fin number are we? I don't know what to say, it's 2018, all the major * airlines have wifi on-board (albeit some are expensive), meanwhile AC can't figure out how to provide wifi on international long haul segments.

Out of curiosity, how does AC wifi compare to the wifi offered by UA and other * partners in terms of speed? I found UA's wifi to be quite serviceable on the long-haul flights (i.e. my recent 13+ hour flight from SIN to SFO).

Safe Travels,

James
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:29 pm

Dang it, I see your problem. I thought I updated the wiki. I must not have saved my work. I am on it now.

Edit: All done now.
canadiancow likes this.

Last edited by YEG_SE4Life; Dec 19, 2018 at 7:40 pm
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:57 pm

Originally Posted by j2simpso
Just realized this thread exist! Tracking wifi on AC planes down the fin number are we? I don't know what to say, it's 2018, all the major * airlines have wifi on-board (albeit some are expensive), meanwhile AC can't figure out how to provide wifi on international long haul segments.

Out of curiosity, how does AC wifi compare to the wifi offered by UA and other * partners in terms of speed? I found UA's wifi to be quite serviceable on the long-haul flights (i.e. my recent 13+ hour flight from SIN to SFO).

Safe Travels,

James
Perhaps the approval process is quicker in other countries? I don't know.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:00 pm

Perhaps the approval process is quicker in other countries? I don't know.
There were significant regulatory hurdles getting the satellite wifi system approved for AC.

AC was definitely as annoyed as we were.

But as you and I both know, the installations are progressing quite quickly now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.