Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 5, 2014, 8:21 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Arcanum
Flights operated by Air Canada rouge

NOTE: Rouge Wifi information can be found here
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...l#post28448087

Dates in brackets indicate planned start of rouge service (either as a new route or replacing mainline service). ML placed before a date indicates the date that service is reverting to mainline.

All Airbus A319/A321 service is in the new Premium Rouge configuration with 2x2J seats. All other routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft in a 24J/258Y layout.

Airport codes in blue indicate that these routes are Boeing 767-300ER aircraft for all services.
Airport codes in red indicate that these routes are split between Boeing 767-300ER and Airbus services.
Airport codes in black indicate that these routes are Airbus aircraft for all services.

Routes are organized based on the established rouge bases of YYZ, YUL, YYC, and YVR

*Seasonal Summer Service

YYZ
Canada
YQT YQY YXX YLW YYG (02MAY-OCT) YDF YQB YQM (01MAY19) YFC (01JUL19)

USA
MCO TPA LAS FLL HNL SRQ RSW SAN PHX MIA PSP (14DEC16)

Mexico
CUN PVR SJD

Caribbean
KIN NAS LIR GND MBJ AZS CCC CUR HUX PUJ POP SKB SJO SXM LRM HOG SNU UVF VRA BGI (07JAN) POS (21DEC16)

Europe
ATH BCN EDI VCE MAN LIS PRG BUD GLA LGW

Central and South America
LIM BOG PTY

YUL
USA
LAS MCO FLL PBI TPA MIA

Mexico
CUN MEX PVR (18NOV16)

Caribbean
ZSA CCC HOG PUJ SNU PLS POP PAP NAS (17JAN) PTP

Europe
FCO ATH BCN NCE VCE

Central and South America
SJO (22DEC16)

Africa
CMN

YYC
Canada
YHZ* YHM (2016)

USA
LAS PHX (winter only - PHX AC Express in summer)

YVR
USA
LAS HNL OGG PHX PSP KOA SAN (02JUN)

Mexico
CUN PVR

Asia
KIX

Europe
DUB LGA KEF

What to Do If Your Flight Has Been Rouged According to the AC Rep "Air Canada Altitude": call AC Reservations, cancel and get a refund.
Print Wikipost

Air Canada rouge, a leisure airline

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:20 am

Programs: AC Lifetime SE100K, 3MM, SPG Lifetime Plat, Hertz PC, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by LO 044
Are these seats really that different from AC mainline? There seems to be similar complaints on the economy seats on AC's 787's. Perhaps the other aspects of the 787 make the seats bearable. I will fly LH on the MUC-YYZ portion so it will be interesting to compare as i have never flown long-haul with LH but i have flown enough short haul with LH to know i do not like their slim line seats on their 320/321 product either. I still think AC's 330's, mainline 767's and mainline 320's family are the most comfortable planes. I dread the deliveries of the 737's. Saying that, i wouldn't be surprised if the whole fleet is refurbished with the slim line seats.
Not everyone feels like they have been punished agter flying Rouge, so do approach it with an open mind.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
SO after many pages on this thread and having flown Rouge several times in all classes/seats, here is my conclusion.
Rouge Y experience is poor. Some posters claim you will die if you sit in non preferred Y seats and you are greater than 6ft tall. Fortunately I am just under 6ft.
Preferred Y seats on Rouge are acceptable.
J seats on single aisle Rouge are close to mainline
J seats on Rouge 767 suck but are better than being stuck in Y.
Some seats on Rouge have cushion softness (where my important backside rests) comparable to a recently acquired drywall from Home Depot.
Rouge is my home away from home according to the announcements.
Rouge crew tend to run the gamut from exhuberant to hide in the galley after one round of drinks/food.
If you are sitting past the first 4 rows in Y, there is a good chance that some food may be sold out.
Rouge crews fill out the flight number on your CBSA form. They will claim carpal tunnel syndrome soon but still a nice touch.
If you are stuck in Y and taller than 6 ft or wider than the avg person, then the seat with the most room is in the washroom. Take your book and spend some quality time there instead of encroaching on my space.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:38 pm

Programs: AC E35K, NEXUS
I flew Rouge YYZBCN and had a dreadful flight in row 21. (Although it looked good until the very last moment, my upgrade didn't clear and lost a gamble; didn't spring for the preferred bulkhead middle.) I keep thinking it was windowless but I have no record for sure of that. I had an unexpected windowless flight in the past year, and can't remember which flight it was. Seat Guru doesn't mark 21 as windowless on that aircraft. Who knows...

I regularly fly both 319 and 763 between YYZ-MCO and both are fine because 95% of the time, I don't book the flight until my upgrade window and can sit in J. I would definitely spring for the preferred middle next time if I am stuck on rouge TATL. However, I will definitely spend time considering routings via FRA or whatever first. I understand why a family of 5 is willing to put up with it, but it doesn't make it pleasant.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Well, TAP will now be flying from Lisbon to Toronto as of next year and its not a rouged flight, lets see what Air Canada does.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:04 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vernonc
SO after many pages on this thread and having flown Rouge several times in all classes/seats, here is my conclusion.
Rouge Y experience is poor. Some posters claim you will die if you sit in non preferred Y seats and you are greater than 6ft tall. Fortunately I am just under 6ft.
Preferred Y seats on Rouge are acceptable.
J seats on single aisle Rouge are close to mainline
J seats on Rouge 767 suck but are better than being stuck in Y.
Some seats on Rouge have cushion softness (where my important backside rests) comparable to a recently acquired drywall from Home Depot.
Rouge is my home away from home according to the announcements.
Rouge crew tend to run the gamut from exhuberant to hide in the galley after one round of drinks/food.
If you are sitting past the first 4 rows in Y, there is a good chance that some food may be sold out.
Rouge crews fill out the flight number on your CBSA form. They will claim carpal tunnel syndrome soon but still a nice touch.
If you are stuck in Y and taller than 6 ft or wider than the avg person, then the seat with the most room is in the washroom. Take your book and spend some quality time there instead of encroaching on my space.
There are no J seats on a 767
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:07 pm

Programs: *G^2, Bonvoyed, NEXUS
Originally Posted by keepitsimple
There are no J seats on a 767
On North American flights they are sold as J. Therefore, they are J seats.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 8:26 pm

Well i guess i'll (with my 5'7" height) just have to wait and find out for myself. If my kids are asleep then i'll survive and i'm hoping the 10:30pm departure will help that and make the next day bearable. The fact that my last leg lands me at my last destination (not counting a train ride after) i believe is a good thing but beggars can't be choosers out here at YEG. Going through FRA or MUC usually gets me/us in to Europe at between 1am and 3am Mountain time so we'll see how this scenario goes.

I'll also be able to make a direct comparison to AC's mainline 763 as it is shown to be the aircraft on the YYC-YYZ leg. I've also flown an LO IL62 on a YEG-WAW route in the early 90's with a fuel stop in YYZ. Can AC Rouge be worse than that? Wait don't answer that question.

You guys mention TAP starting the Lisbon route. I believe AC will keep that flight Rouged just like it will on the YYZ-WAW route. I have read that AC is increasing YYZ-WAW flights from 4x to 5x per week. Rouge competes with LO's 787's which would be similar to the TAP situation. However those LO 787's have the narrowest economy seat of any 787 operator i believe at 16.9" so it is very confusing as to which airplane is comfortable these days.

It will be interesting how full these YYZ-TXL flights are as well. Berlin is a great City but it isn't the number one destination in Europe and i'm just not too sure this flight will do great. You aren't connecting anywhere using TXL airport so i'm expecting most people are visiting or taking the train onward.

Last edited by LO 044; Dec 8, 2016 at 8:33 pm
Old Dec 11, 2016, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Need to go on a quick YYZ-MIA trip in April. Return cost for business class on rouge $1,252. Return business class on American - $769... only a few dollars more than Flex.

What am I missing here?
Old Dec 11, 2016, 12:49 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50 UA1k 2MM AA EXP Royal Ambassador SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by The Lev
Need to go on a quick YYZ-MIA trip in April. Return cost for business class on rouge $1,252. Return business class on American - $769... only a few dollars more than Flex.

What am I missing here?
wait AC is selling YYZ-PVG for $4000, and AA is $2600.
Even worse UA/AA/Delta is selling yyz-PEK for $2376 and AC wants $3000+

unfortunately for Canadians, AC is able to rip us off because of Aeroplan or the inability of some Canadians to connect via USA.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 1:10 pm

Programs: AA, AC

What am I missing here?
You're not missing anything. It's been that way for many years. I don't even consider AC for that route. OTOH there are routes (eg. YYZ-Hawaii) on which AA's fares are routinely double those of AC.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC*SE 2MM
Originally Posted by After Burner
You're not missing anything. It's been that way for many years. I don't even consider AC for that route.
Funny thing is that AA J appears wide open whereas AC has 6 seats reserved on the way down and 2 on the way back.
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Funny thing is that AA J appears wide open whereas AC has 6 seats reserved on the way down and 2 on the way back.
And you are sure this has nothing to do with AC pimping cheap J fares ex-USA to Europe, Asia, TLV, etc via YYZ
Old Dec 11, 2016, 5:18 pm

Hi everyone. I'm very soon flying Rouge on the YUL-PTP route, supposedly in J. What should I expect?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 12:53 pm

I'm flying Rouge YYZ-BCN next summer and have been trying to decide if I should spend the extra $100 and get a preferred seat. How bearable are the regular economy seats for someone who is 5'10"? And do the rouge plus seats come with any other perks like priority boarding? Or am I just paying for the better seat?
Old Dec 12, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: TK *G
Originally Posted by vernonc
Best advice I have seen on FT ^^^^

Also, I think this applies to 777 and 787 Y seats as well.

In fact the space of the accessible washroom definitely beats F, it's a closed suite

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.