Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on weight limit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:25 pm

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by pmaclell
I'd like to take all of you heavy carry-on people and re-route you to the baggage compartment. The cabin is for people and their purses (and laptops). Backpacks are not for airplane cabins--they are for backpack places (where I refuse to go).
Some of us travel with work necessities. In my case, over $100 000 (and 50lbs) in camera equipment that has to come in cabin with me. It travels quite nicely in a backpack. Glass is heavy.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 11:18 pm

big excuse transcendmag I know someone who is a photographer for a living and travels with 10 sealed boxes worth 100's of thousands. they all go in steerage.

but do as you want no skin off my nose.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:04 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by pmaclell
I'd like to take all of you heavy carry-on people and re-route you to the baggage compartment. The cabin is for people and their purses (and laptops). Backpacks are not for airplane cabins--they are for backpack places (where I refuse to go).
I try to keep out of the overhead bins too And I only put my feet underneath the seat in front of me. Can't think of anywhere else to put my backpack (which contains my laptop)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:09 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by allbrosca
I try to keep out of the overhead bins too And I only put my feet underneath the seat in front of me. Can't think of anywhere else to put my backpack (which contains my laptop)
Guess you guys haven't had the pleasure of an airline misplacing your checked bags yet. Once you have, you might find a new appreciation for the overhead bins
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:16 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by todare
big excuse transcendmag I know someone who is a photographer for a living and travels with 10 sealed boxes worth 100's of thousands. they all go in steerage.
You seem to be misusing the word steerage. According to Webster's, it means: "a section of inferior accommodations in a passenger ship for passengers paying the lowest fares". That would mean coach class, not the baggage hold (passengers cannot purchase tickets to travel in the baggage hold).
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:25 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by kjnangre
Guess you guys haven't had the pleasure of an airline misplacing your checked bags yet. Once you have, you might find a new appreciation for the overhead bins
Or looking like they fed them through a shredder!
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by headhunter
Bearskin is the only other airline that seems to ask on occasion, in my experience.
I was asked both times flying YQT-YSB and back a few weeks ago. Has to do with getting the correct weight and balance of the aircraft, given how small it is.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:37 am

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
I've never had an issue with Air Canada weighing carry-ons. I've seen WestJet do it at YQR though.

Planning a vacation to Australia next year and the Aussie airlines only allow 10 kg carry-on, total. Getting to MEL or SYD won't be a problem since it will be AC or UA's rules that apply but I'm going to have considerable trouble complying with that domestically. I'm not really keen on checking a camera backpack full of high-end gear, even if I am just an amateur photographer.

PS - it's "roll-aboard" not "roller board"
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:06 am

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I brought an Austen Healey engine block back from the UK once as carry on. It was pre 9/11 though and as long as you don't look like you're struggling with heavy carry on everything went well.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 10:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PhotoJim
PS - it's "roll-aboard" not "roller board"
Based on what I've read on FT (and elsewhere), that's highly debatable.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:30 am

Programs: AC: E75K, Marriott :Titanium, National: EXEC ELITE
AC was actually weighing and measuring carry-ons at security (A pier) at YYC yesterday. However, they seemed to be turning a blind eye to anyone with status tags on their bag, as I breezed right by with a roller board and laptop bag (both well within the limits as it was only a 2 day trip, and I no longer carry a laptop, just a tablet).

It was too bad, IMHO, as I think status flyers are some of the worst offenders, and I'd really like to see AC get control of cabin baggage.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: AC*E
I've seen AC be very strict about carry on weight limits on carry on in Jamaica. Co-incidentally drugs were found on board on that flight in the seat back pocket. At first, the flurry of activity looked like a medical incident but they latter announced what they found and that they were waiting local LE to clear the flight for take off.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:06 pm

Programs: AC*E50
Originally Posted by canadiancow
Based on what I've read on FT (and elsewhere), that's highly debatable.
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/bu...road.html?_r=0

"The Rollaboard was invented in 1987 by Robert Plath, a Northwest Airlines 747 pilot and avid home workshop tinkerer, who affixed two wheels and a long handle to suitcases that rolled upright, rather than being towed flat like Mr. Sadow’s four-wheeled models."
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FrequentFlyerYYZ
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/bu...road.html?_r=0

"The Rollaboard was invented in 1987 by Robert Plath, a Northwest Airlines 747 pilot and avid home workshop tinkerer, who affixed two wheels and a long handle to suitcases that rolled upright, rather than being towed flat like Mr. Sadow’s four-wheeled models."
And I'm sure if you spent another 5 minutes, you could find an article that mentions a roller board.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 12:54 pm

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by VoodooYYC
AC was actually weighing and measuring carry-ons at security (A pier) at YYC yesterday. However, they seemed to be turning a blind eye to anyone with status tags on their bag, as I breezed right by with a roller board and laptop bag (both well within the limits as it was only a 2 day trip, and I no longer carry a laptop, just a tablet).

It was too bad, IMHO, as I think status flyers are some of the worst offenders, and I'd really like to see AC get control of cabin baggage.
My daughter fixed that scale for you. She is 34lbs by the official scale at doctors but the scale at YYC concourse A only registered her at 19lbs. Being female, she jumped for joy at the sight of lower weight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.