Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Carry on weight limit

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Carry on weight limit

Hi, I am flying to Tokyo next month and leaving from Toronto. I am wondering how strict is AC with the carry on weight limit? My bag will be filled with (only) photography gear that absolutely cannot be in checked in. In total they are worth over $10,000, which is something I cannot afford to lose/damage.

I'll probably be 15lbs over the 22lbs weight limit. So, what should I do? Fight (persuade) the officers while there?

Would using a photography vest and putting a few lens/hanging my camera by the neck to lighten the carry on help? Or is it too much of a trouble?

And I'm guessing it's best to put the tripod in the check in luggage and wrap it with clothes, since it 'can' be used as a weapon? I'm still a bit worried about it though, as it's quite expensive and to the right eyes can be eye-candy.

This will be my first time flying with AC. And if it helps, I'll be in business class and have no problems throwing around 37lbs of weight (it is in a backpack after all). The backpack is within the size/dimension limit.

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited by Kurogashi; Dec 10, 2012 at 1:27 pm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC P, MR Plat
Can you try splitting it into two bags? Have the backpack but put half the gear in another collapsible bag that you can empty and then stow away into your other luggage once you arrive. The flight attendants usually won't mind two bags, but one overweight bag might be a safety hazard if it falls down.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:27 pm

Programs: AC SE 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
IME there is almost no chance that you will have an issue in YYZ. I have never had my carry on weighed there, and as long as it is a regulation size I bet nobody will give it a second glance. I suspect the same hold for your return. The only time I have ever had an issue is in LAS. No idea why. They just seemed super anal there (although they were very nice about it, and gave me the opportunity to remove something while the bag was being weighed...)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Welcome to Flyertalk!

Generally speaking, AC isn´t too strict unless the bags are oversized and/or look very heavy. Flying business class should also help.

37lbs is definitely pushing it, so I´d probably divide the stuff into two carry-ons or at least have a second case available (AC allows one carry-on and one personal item, so unless the camera itself is huge it should qualify as a personal item)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:29 pm

Personally, I feel like they don't care provided that:

1) You can get it in the overhead bin and can safely latch the bin shut.
2) You do it yourself.

Are you flying on a 763 or 77W?
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:33 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the welcome and fast responses. It seems like my main post has disappeared, or at least on my screen it has.

I do have a personal item/bag and was planning to put the laptop, backup camera, hard drives, etc., and that too is packed fully.

Well I'll take my chances then. Will this possibly cause any problems over at NRT (Japan) and the return flight home? This is my first international flight, so I'd rather not cause an uproar while going abroad.

This will be on a 77W direct flight. I'm guessing the newer aircraft will have a larger overhead bin?

Last edited by Kurogashi; Dec 10, 2012 at 1:43 pm
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:38 pm

You should consider your plan of action (in both Toronto and Tokyo) if you're told you can't bring your bag as a carry-on.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:50 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Delta, Starwood, Fairmount
My wife and I went on a 61 day RTW honeymoon. We only had one carry-on backpack each. Hers weighed 13 lbs and mine 14 lbs...

BTW - Josee and I met on a blind date in Whitehorse and one of the very first things I told her was that "If we were to become an item and travel together she could only bring a carry-on bag" lol!!!!

We are celebrating 20 years together next September....
Old Dec 10, 2012, 2:51 pm
Suspended

I usually carry-on over 100 pounds and they never ask since it is a normal roller board. You have nothing to worry about.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Fairmont PC, AC nobody, VIPorter, National Exec, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Only time I was ever asked by AC, was flying PHX-YYZ this summer. All 4 members of my group, actually. Maybe because we all had golfclubs to check in.

Bearskin is the only other airline that seems to ask on occasion, in my experience.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by AClove
I usually carry-on over 100 pounds and they never ask since it is a normal roller board. You have nothing to worry about.
100 lbs in your carry-on? What are you carrying that could have such a high density? (and still be allowed thru security)
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:44 pm
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Adding to the data pool...

I was stopped twice in HKG at the AC check in counter to have my carry-ons weighed (regulation-sized multi-wheel, was only half full). Thank goodness it was (barely) under the limit, as I had never thought of it being checked for weight issues. They weighed my "personal item" too.

In Europe, I have never been checked on any airline, and once I was carrying 75+ lbs of chocolate from bruges/brussels. Got a few funny looks from the security screeners, though.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:04 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I carry a roll-aboard and a back pack. Roller board usually just has clothes and the backpack has all electonics, work stuff, etc. and is usually twice as heavy as the roller board Back pack has never been weighed, but the roller board has several times.

Last edited by allbrosca; Dec 11, 2012 at 9:59 am Reason: Fix error!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 7:38 pm

I was going on a YYZ=FRA flight recently-- there was a person just before security wanting to size all bags before allowing them through. So, if your bag(s) fits in the sizing bin you can go through to security.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 9:17 pm

I'd like to take all of you heavy carry-on people and re-route you to the baggage compartment. The cabin is for people and their purses (and laptops). Backpacks are not for airplane cabins--they are for backpack places (where I refuse to go).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.