Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Miles for AC segments already flown credited to wrong FFP

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Miles for AC segments already flown credited to wrong FFP

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: rapidly diminishing
Miles for AC segments already flown credited to wrong FFP

I'm posting on behalf of a friend that is new to all this (I've not been in this situation myself, and my search attempts on FT didn't yield any useful results...)

My friend flew EZE-YYZ-LHR at the start of the month, miles got credited to AP.
They should have been credited to the A3 FFP I helped him set up
(with the 2k signup bonus, he should get *G after he's completed the round-trip ^)

He still has the BPs for the segments already flown, so I'm hoping he can get the AP credit reversed and that he can get these miles deposited to A3...

So, I have two questions:

1. How likely is it that we can get the already-credited miles reversed from AP?

2. If we can do this, what's the best way to make this happen?

Actually, there are a couple more now I think about it

3. he flew LHR-YYZ a couple of days ago, so that's a third segment potentially going through the system. Can he get the relevant field - FQTV, I think? - updated if he gets to YYZ early enough?

4. It looks like he can't get his son's miles credited via the AC website (it's 014 ticket stock, but I believe it was booked via a travel agent). While I'm certain he can just get the retro-claim sorted with the BPs (he has them for all segments already flown), can he at least get the final segment credited.. and if so, who's the best person to speak to at YYZ this evening... I think there's a customer service desk airside Intl departures? Might be better than hassling the gate agents? Never tried myself, so really not sure how to advise him.

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:41 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by sofasurfer
I'm posting on behalf of a friend that is new to all this (I've not been in this situation myself, and my search attempts on FT didn't yield any useful results...)

My friend flew EZE-YYZ-LHR at the start of the month, miles got credited to AP.
They should have been credited to the A3 FFP I helped him set up
(with the 2k signup bonus, he should get *G after he's completed the round-trip ^)

He still has the BPs for the segments already flown, so I'm hoping he can get the AP credit reversed and that he can get these miles deposited to A3...

So, I have two questions:

1. How likely is it that we can get the already-credited miles reversed from AP?

2. If we can do this, what's the best way to make this happen?

Actually, there are a couple more now I think about it

3. he flew LHR-YYZ a couple of days ago, so that's a third segment potentially going through the system. Can he get the relevant field - FQTV, I think? - updated if he gets to YYZ early enough?

4. It looks like he can't get his son's miles credited via the AC website (it's 014 ticket stock, but I believe it was booked via a travel agent). While I'm certain he can just get the retro-claim sorted with the BPs (he has them for all segments already flown), can he at least get the final segment credited.. and if so, who's the best person to speak to at YYZ this evening... I think there's a customer service desk airside Intl departures? Might be better than hassling the gate agents? Never tried myself, so really not sure how to advise him.

Thanks!
Past flights...no way. Future flights, change the program number
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
happened to my mom - she wanted to credit to UA, but the incompetent checkin agent couldnt remove her Aeroplan number she added at booking not knowing any better. Her new BP still said AC. I told her, do it again at the gate. Another incompetent AC agent, couldnt add the UA number, so she got him to at least remove AC number.

Now the boarding pass was blank. We thought it was good to go for credit after the flight with UA.

Of course 3 days later, mileage credited to Aeroplan.

No recourse now, all because AC agents are incompetent.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
No recourse now, all because AC agents are incompetent.
So not even any way to escalate?

I'm a little surprised to hear this, but not completely... IYKWIM.

Seems that various *A carriers have quite differing policies/(in)abilities to get this kind of thing resolved... *sigh*
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Originally Posted by sofasurfer
So not even any way to escalate?
as a non-status pax? Spend an hour on hold each time only to be rudely told not possible..... not worth over 3540 miles in the wrong program.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
Technically, they should be able to remove the miles from your Aeroplan account, which would free the flight up for crediting to your A3 account. Technically. And only if you get a willing agent.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
as a non-status pax? Spend an hour on hold each time only to be rudely told not possible..... not worth over 3540 miles in the wrong program.
But possibly worth doing for a very dear friend who'd be able to get *G on A3 from this itin. There's no value in the miles on their own (he simply won't accumulate enough to do anything worthwhile with them ex-EZE) but there's utility to be gained from the lounge access in future trips.

I really appreciate the reality check from seasoned (and perhaps somewhat jaded ) FTers - but given the acts of selflessness he's done for my family and others over the years, I think it's worth a stab. (and I've got a reasonable track record with getting intended results from call centre staff so can try to do so on his behalf)

Thanks!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

And, if we can't get his own situation resolved, it appears that he and I will both have children capable of guesting us in to lounges

(my wife and daughter currently have status, lost my own a while back!)
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:31 pm

I'm confused as to who should be correcting the error of miles that are credited to Aeroplan incorrectly. Should I be arguing with Air Canada to get the reversal done or is Aeroplan responsible to do this directly?

What's crazy is that I have a copy of my boarding pass that clearly shows my TK FF# on it.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
AE. Good luck, you're going to need it!
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:11 pm

Programs: *void
This is probably not the right thread for this post, but I didn't want to start another one.

So, we looked at our travel plans for 2013, and realizing we are not going to keep Elite status with AC, decided to start accruing to Aegean's A3 FFP instead of AP, so that we can still get *G.

Mrs. JJJ is travelling alone without me, YYZ-HKG, and the day before she flies, I've given her all the instructions...kept her AC*E on her boarding pass, so that there are no issues with checking in her 3 bags and getting into the MLL (she's carrying her Elite card anyway), whereupon she is then going to ask the dragon to change it to A3. This is her final trip with AC*E status, really milking it to the end, eh?

So, I sent her off, hugs and kisses and all that stuff, and as I'm driving away I wonder if I should've reminded her once more to do the switch to her new A3# at the MLL (or at the gate).

This morning after arriving at the Fragrant Harbour, she sent me a message saying she forgot to switch the flight to A3 accrual.

*Arggg*!! But, Ok, no big deal, she still has 5 more segments on this route this year, and she can credit her flights to A3 and still get the 19,000 status miles (flying usual 'sardine class' T fares).

Just now I got another email from her, saying she forgot to mention earlier that she got an op-up at the gate!! This is her 2nd op-up on this route in 13 months! The first time was Dec 2011 when she was about to cross from Prestige to Elite. Lucky Girl!! ^ ^

Anyway, now I'm wondering...would she have gotten the op-up if she had made the switch to A3 at the MLL? Just curious...not sure how the GA decides who will be the lucky recipient of the J seat.
Old Jan 30, 2013, 8:23 pm

Programs: AC*SE MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by JJonahJ
So, we looked at our travel plans for 2013, and realizing we are not going to keep Elite status with AC, decided to start accruing to Aegean's A3 FFP instead of AP, so that we can still get *G.
I hope you've seen this: http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...es/#AIR CANADA

As discussed: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...-jan-14-a.html

Anyway, now I'm wondering...would she have gotten the op-up if she had made the switch to A3 at the MLL? Just curious...not sure how the GA decides who will be the lucky recipient of the J seat.
I'm thinking that a gate agent would op-up AC*P over *G, as the former is likely more loyal to the airline. i.e. SE > E > P > *G > *S
Old Jan 30, 2013, 9:16 pm

Programs: *void
Originally Posted by yvr76
Yes, that was part of our homework assignment (required reading)...Aegean will accrue 50% of 'cattle class' Tango miles flown on AC. Thus, we need 5 segments of YYZ-HKG (50% = 3896 miles) to reach 19,000 + plus the 1,000 A3 signup bonus = 20,000 to get *G.

Uh huh, it was me, in that thread that posted these same two links. And canadiancow explained it to me at that thread...i.e., that AC will only accrue 25% of Aegean miles into AeroPesos.

I'm thinking that a gate agent would op-up AC*P over *G, as the former is likely more loyal to the airline. i.e. SE > E > P > *G > *S
Which is why I'm wondering...if my wife had switched from her AC*E to her newly minted A3 (no status), would she have been ignored for the op-up?

Thanks for your info. ^
Old Jan 30, 2013, 11:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AC SE MM, BA Gold, SQ Silver, Bonvoy Tit LTG, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond
Which is why I'm wondering...if my wife had switched from her AC*E to her newly minted A3 (no status), would she have been ignored for the op-up?
Op-up rules are about as well known as eUp priority

But I would assume the same order that yvr76 mentioned.
AC status (SE, E, P), then *A status (*G, *S), then... fare class maybe? :S

If you have AC status and you're flying on AC, you will almost certainly have better luck with everything than if you have *A status.
Old Jan 31, 2013, 5:01 pm

Originally Posted by Sam_AE
I'm confused as to who should be correcting the error of miles that are credited to Aeroplan incorrectly. Should I be arguing with Air Canada to get the reversal done or is Aeroplan responsible to do this directly?

What's crazy is that I have a copy of my boarding pass that clearly shows my TK FF# on it.
Ok -- I've made some progress. I provided Aeroplan with my boarding passes to show that they credited my Aeroplan account incorrectly. Aeroplan is now saying that they can reverse the points but they have no control over getting them credited to the correct airline (in this case TK). Once they reverse the miles, they cannot put them back in my account.

Does anyone have any experience with this? I'm assuming that if I later ask TK for the miles, they will need to know that the Aeroplan miles were reversed. Is that correct??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.