Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

$145 change fee. This is Unbelievable!!!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2001, 9:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, AC

I just phoned AC reservations to make a change to a full fare (M class) MIA-YYZ itinerary. I was told that I will be charged $145 to make this change. This makes no sense. M class is supposed to be unrestricted, isn't it?

Here's what I've done. I made a new reservation and I'm buying a new one-way M class ticket. So when I check in I'll have them refund the original ticket so that I can avoid the $145 fee. The reservation agent assured me that I can do this.

Is this ridiculous or what?
Old Mar 6, 2001, 9:58 am

The 7 day advance purchase M fare is notrefundable, and is also subject to the $145 (+$10.15 GST) change fee. The 3 day advance purchase and walk-up M fares are refundable and are not subject to the change fee.

So either

a) the ticket is subject to the change fee, and therefore non-refundable

or

b) is not subject to the change fee, and is refundable.

In any case, it would appear that the agent is confused.

BTW, "M" class is not officially full fare. Only "Y" class is, and it's more expensive than any of the M fares.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 10:05 am

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Which M fare are you on? There is the MAC, the MA3, and the ME7NR.

The first two are changeable. The third is a 7 day adv purchase, with a change fee, and a cancellation penalty.

This fare is only about 800 USD as compared with 900 and change for the MA3, and about 1000 for the MAC.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 10:18 am
Original Poster

Originally posted by AC*SE:
Which M fare are you on? There is the MAC, the MA3, and the ME7NR.
It's the return portion of a round trip that I'm trying to change. She told me that the outbound was MAC and the return is MA3. She said that MA3 requires 3 days advance notice otherwise the $145 fee is charged.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 10:21 am
Original Poster

BTW, "M" class is not officially full fare. Only "Y" class is, and it's more expensive than any of the M fares.

Right. And sometimes the Y class fare is higher than the J class fare.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 11:03 am

When was the change fee increased to 145$?

I thought it was 107$
Old Mar 6, 2001, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
I thought it was $101
Old Mar 6, 2001, 11:10 am

I have already lodge a complaint with the Airline commission regarding the increase to the change fee.
It was around $100, now $145 an increase of 45%...how can AC justify such an increase.?

I feel that they are nickel and dimming the business, Maybe i should charge them $145 when my flight changes, when they cancel one flight and combine it with another, then they deny that thats the case....Must think I am stupid.

145 dollars does not reflect any additional work.....When they bump you and offer $200, $300 and up to change, AC can produce you a new boarding card in seconds.

AC are just getting to greedy...
Old Mar 6, 2001, 11:37 am
Original Poster

I think we covered this in a previous thread. It's "greed" of the whole airline industry, not just AC. Other carriers have also raised the change fee.

I've had it confirmed that MA3 does, in fact, require the change fee to be paid if not done 3 days in advance.

Here's the problem: I use AC's website to book these tickets. The site does not allow you to select between different flavours of M class. It showed only that the fare was M class and that it is refundable. There's no indication of any restrictions.

The problem is that they introduce these new fares but don't bother to modify the website to accommodate them. So things no longer work as they did in the past.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 3:54 pm

Programs: AE
Domestic change fees increased to CAD145.00 for tickets purchased 01Mar. Transborder increased in February. This was in response to the increase in change fees of major US carriers.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

As far as I'm concerned this is just another fare increase implemented in a way that the airlines can claim that it's not a fare increase.

Here's another question. Is the change fee charged if you just show up at the airport, ticket in hand, with no reservation?
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:30 pm

CPYVR.

I agree that the US increased their change fee.....But why did AC up it 45% !!

Also, just because the US did why should AC...

Its a rip off !!!

Normally if you need to change a ticket there is a good reason, AC are aware of this and have found a way of extorting a bit more cash from its customers.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 4:56 pm

CPYVR,

If I wish to make a change to ticket purchased and issued prior to 01 March, do I just pay $100.00 or $145.00? In addition, I assume GST is charged? Thanks.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 5:20 pm

Programs: AE
If I recall the text, it is applicable only for tickets purchased on/after 01Mar for domestic travel (GST/HST/QST applicable). I will look for the CIC at work tomorrow to verify all the information.

US carriers raised their fees from USD75 to USD100. This is over CAD150.00 at todays exchange rate, so the increase in the USA was actually higher. $145 was probably chosen as an average figure based on the Canadian dollars performance as of late.
Old Mar 6, 2001, 5:46 pm

CPYVR.

Okay, so the US raise their change fee 33.4%, the Canadians (AC) Raise theirs by 45%.

Are you telling me we have currency equalization now....the tax rate in the US is 24% canada 49.8 % based upon my last US salary.....Tax on purchases Canada 14% US avg 7.2%.....

Quaility of life US 2 out 10
Canada 10 out of 10

Just because the canadian goverment steal from the people AC thinks its okay !!

Someone should tell AC that the goverment hates competition!!

Bottom line...If its the US airlines or Canadian airline..the change fee is a rip off...!!

I just wish we had a few more breaks, and lived our own way in our own country, i am fed up with doing everything that US does....next we will have Krispy Creames on the corners instead of Tim Hortons....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.