Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Air Canada Proposes Unrestricted Open Skies With U.S. to Foster Competitive Environme

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Proposes Unrestricted Open Skies With U.S. to Foster Competitive Environme

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2001, 6:00 pm

AC*SE, I concur. I have yet to see our Minister of Transport develop any constructive air transport policy. Open Skies is the way to go. Think of the revenue potential of all those American passengers stopping over in YYZ!

Tom
Old Dec 8, 2001, 9:59 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC*SE:
Um, you'd better have a Molson. Labatt is owned by Interbrew. </font>

LOL... darn it, i try and make a point, and it backfires on me. You're right. Pass me an Ex, would ya?

[This message has been edited by duxfan (edited 12-08-2001).]
Old Dec 9, 2001, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I read an article in the G&M that the PM is going to shuffle some of the cabinet. Speculation was that Collenette was on his way to the backbenches to make room for new talent.The sooner the better for the flying public. In fact, speculation was that he would be rewarded with the High Commission in London. A classic example of the Roman axiom: "Promoveatur ut amoveatur"
Old Dec 9, 2001, 8:57 am

Programs: Presto
Or:

Numquam catapultas allice, iram omnium concitabis

Never draw fire, it irritates everyone around you
Old Dec 9, 2001, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
Airbus320,

Collenette out of Cabinet? (There's Dante, tossing a snowball).

Collenette is an unwavering Chretien loyalist. He is the regional Minister for Toronto (i.e. porkbarrel czar for the GTA).

He may be ousted from Transport (from my keyboard to God's ear), but he will not leave Cabinet.

Hedy Fry, Lucienne Robillard, et. al. will be the first against the wall when the revolution comes.
Old Dec 10, 2001, 12:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yesterday, I sent an e-mail to Robert MIlton expressing my appreciation for his initiative
in expanding Open Skies. I felt that Mr Collenette was not fair and expressed my support for this initiative as a framework for future discussion.
Guess what...24 later I received an e-mail from him.

To: [email protected]
cc:
Subject: Letter of support

Dear Mr. (name deleted):

Thank you for your support and taking the time to share your views with me.

Judging by your hotmail address ("travelling Bob") you are most likely someone
who can speak about air transportation policy with some first hand experience.
You may want to drop a line to Minister Collenette to let him know what you
think.

All the best for the holiday season.

Robert

Robert A. Milton
President and Chief Executive Officer

[This message has been edited by airbus320 (edited 12-10-2001).]
Old Dec 10, 2001, 12:53 pm

Talk about Collenette as a minister without a vision. I believe Milton is a CEO without a vision as well. Just look at all the crap we have been subjected to, as well as the myriad of business ventures AC is proposing. He doesn't stick with one long enough to reap the rewards (no pun intended) and then floats another half-cooked idea.
Old Dec 11, 2001, 2:33 pm

Beddoe yesterday said this idea was "farsicle and unworkable" (sp.), and that Milton was just confusing the issues.
Old Dec 11, 2001, 6:39 pm

Custom is not an issue for transfer. Many immigrants came to Canada without a US Visa. They connect flights in American cities with the tag "TWOV" (transit without visa) and are kept in a separate waiting area so they cannot leave the airport.

Similar waiting lounge can be set up for Canadian transfers so passing custom is not needed until entry.

In fact, most Canadian airports do not have US custom except the major ones. If you fly from London Ontario, you will clear US custom on arrival.

Now this brings up another question... why do we let another country set up custom / jurisdiction on our territory anyway? Do we have any reciprocal custom territories in the US airports?

Now they just announced american marshalls can use firearms in Canada?
"Ottawa considering allowing armed U.S. customs agents in Canada "
Old Dec 11, 2001, 6:43 pm

Programs: several
dupe

[This message has been edited by jral (edited 12-11-2001).]
Old Dec 12, 2001, 12:41 pm

Moremiles:

Customs is an issue. Only a small handful of flights to the US are not pre-cleared--those are the flights from smaller centres (e.g. YHZ, YSJ, YYJ and YQB) and the flights from third country carriers who don't pay for pre-clearance, (e.g. CX YVR-JFK).

The vast majority of flights leave from the pre-cleared stations. You cannot mix passengers in sterile transit with US bound passengers on a pre-cleared flight--so either the entire flight is sterile, making it useless for US bound passengers, or you require transit passengers to pre-clear.

As for why we allow the Americans to operate pre-flight inspection--we do it for the same reason the the Bermudians, the Irish and the Bahamians do. The Americans want to do it, and the airlines are prepared to pay for it.

Canadian passengers would not have access to most of the smaller airports that AC and the US carriers fly to (not to mention a couple of majors like LGA and DCA) were it not for the fact that these flights are pre-cleared.

While the Americans would certainly allow for reciprocal pre-clearance stations (it is in the Agreement), it is not really attractive to us--there are too many US points of departure, coming to relatively few Canadian airports. The cost of assigning Canadian officers to these points is high, and airlines are not overly keen to provide the real estate.

Looking into my crystal ball, however, I would be prepared to wager that the next pre-flight inspection station may well be a joint Canada-US station, located in a third country. A pilot project could be set up in BDA very quickly to test joint operations and information sharing.

For full implementation the obvious candidate is LHR. You could easily sterilize the far pier of T3--after all, AA and UA pretty much own it. The UK government would be reasonably likely to cooperate on such an arrangement--provided that they can get their house in order on réfoulement.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Add Aruba (AUA) to the list of airports that have US customs pre-clearance facilities.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 1:45 pm

Thanks, Al.

I don't have a complete list, so I figured I'd stick to the ones I was sure of.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AC*SE:
Customs is an issue. Only a small handful of flights to the US are not pre-cleared--those are the flights from smaller centres (e.g. YHZ, YSJ, YYJ and YQB)
</font>
Add YLW

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
and the flights from third country carriers who don't pay for pre-clearance, (e.g. CX YVR-JFK).
</font>
Poor, if not completely inappropriate example. A substantial number of pax (if not the vast majority) on the CX flight are travelling from HKG to JFK. Preclearance at YVR would require all pax bound for JFK to clear at YVR (since I doubt U.S. authorities would allow a mixture as the Australian authorities do). A better one would be AC for Canada-HNL flights since clearance at HNL is required now. TS pays for preclearance in YVR for HNL flights.

The vast majority of flights leave from the pre-cleared stations. You cannot mix passengers in sterile transit with US bound passengers on a pre-cleared flight--so either the entire flight is sterile, making it useless for US bound passengers, or you require transit passengers to pre-clear.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
For full implementation the obvious candidate is LHR. You could easily sterilize the far pier of T3--after all, AA and UA pretty much own it. </font>
There was a pilot scheme a few years back (or so it was announced), but it wasn't extended into a permanent system.
Old Dec 12, 2001, 9:05 pm

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Shareholder has stated the passenger travel volume between the 10 most frequently travelled city pairs in Canada.

I would be interested, if some one had such data, for similar information between the 10 most frequently travelled city pairs in USA.

One can then appreciate the desirability (or the lack of it) to US carriers of flying such Canadian routes - if the traffic volume on those 10 routes was much, much more than the 10 Canadian counterparts - would it then make any financial or logistic sense for US air carriers to "take advantage" of a potential opportunity to fly these busiest Canadian routes?

[This message has been edited by FlyerGoldII (edited 12-12-2001).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.