Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Fare class code decoder?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
Question Fare class code decoder?

After searching without success:

Is there a table posted somewhere in the AC topics that decodes the different letters for different fare classes?

Thanks!

TOA13B
Old Oct 8, 2012, 9:39 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Have you searched in the forum FAQ? There is an outline there with the fare classes and AP earning on AC flights.
Old Oct 8, 2012, 10:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC, FPC, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold, BW Diamond Select, Starbucks Gold, VPL
Hi, I was hoping for something that explained the differences between fare bookings within a class.

Ie: What is the difference between M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, K, L, and T in Tango Plus?

Might I want to book one over another; and assuming that answer is Yes, how can I do my best to book my "letter" of choice in my class of choice?

Thanks
TOA13B
Old Oct 8, 2012, 11:28 pm

Programs: AC A50K
Little difference

There is little difference in the codes.
If you are trying to upgrade, M allows you to upgrade for less credits.
Higher fare codes push you higher on the upgrade queue.
Higher fare codes are used for specific itinerarys. Low codes don't allow for open jaws or require a Saturday night stay, although if the system allowed you to book it already you are fine.
Read the fine print on your receipt.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TheOfficeAdmin13B
Hi, I was hoping for something that explained the differences between fare bookings within a class.

Ie: What is the difference between M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, K, L, and T in Tango Plus?

Might I want to book one over another; and assuming that answer is Yes, how can I do my best to book my "letter" of choice in my class of choice?
Between some fare classes there's very little if any difference except in price between the fare buckets, though when you pay more to move up to the highest fare within T+ you get more in terms of upgradability, greater flexibility to make changes at a lower change fee, etc.

The published fares for T & L fare codes, for example, might be virtually identical with the same fare rules but a slightly difference price point so unless one were not available there'd be no point in booking the higher one of the lower one. Unfortunately ac.com won't let you search by fare class as it'll only return the lowest available within so a tool like ITA or KVS might be where you'd go to conduct a search of all the published fares on a specific AC route, compare the rules and make a choice from there. ac.com will show you the class of service in the pricing screen, which IIRC it didn't always, but it's not an overly dynamic search engine.

Hope that helps a little.
Old Oct 9, 2012, 2:08 am

Programs: AC SE 1MM, UA 1K, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Gold Elite, Hertz PC
Fare class code decoder?

You can't tell the difference just by the booking class, it all depends on the individual fare rules and these vary by point of sale, by type (published / negotiated corporate fare).

Ex Europe for example you can buy a ZNCXXX, a ZRCXXX or a ZFFXXX fare to destinations in North America. All three fall within the Executive First (lowest) category, they all book into Z class but the ZNC fare is non-cancelable, the ZRC fare is cancelable for a fee and the ZFF fare is fully flexible. So you can have different sets of rules even within just one letter, therefore you can't generally say a fare in booking class H has these set of rules and M has these set of rules - as in many cases in life, it all depends...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.