FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Question: Fare class code decoder?
Thread: Question: Fare class code decoder?
View Single Post
Old Oct 9, 2012, 12:01 am
tcook052
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by TheOfficeAdmin13B
Hi, I was hoping for something that explained the differences between fare bookings within a class.

Ie: What is the difference between M, U, H, Q, V, W, S, K, L, and T in Tango Plus?

Might I want to book one over another; and assuming that answer is Yes, how can I do my best to book my "letter" of choice in my class of choice?
Between some fare classes there's very little if any difference except in price between the fare buckets, though when you pay more to move up to the highest fare within T+ you get more in terms of upgradability, greater flexibility to make changes at a lower change fee, etc.

The published fares for T & L fare codes, for example, might be virtually identical with the same fare rules but a slightly difference price point so unless one were not available there'd be no point in booking the higher one of the lower one. Unfortunately ac.com won't let you search by fare class as it'll only return the lowest available within so a tool like ITA or KVS might be where you'd go to conduct a search of all the published fares on a specific AC route, compare the rules and make a choice from there. ac.com will show you the class of service in the pricing screen, which IIRC it didn't always, but it's not an overly dynamic search engine.

Hope that helps a little.