Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Canada Segment Runs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:39 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Ok so I planned an 8-segment run this weekend and thought I'd provide some feedback.
I planned for YTZ-YUL-YOW-YHZ-YQM and then back the following day. First flight would leave at noon Saturday, and I would land back in Toronto around 6pm Sunday.

1) This is a laborious itinerary. Oh my god is it ever. The constant sitting and waiting proved to me too much for me, and I ended up getting on standby and skipping one segment on the return.

2) Plan to spend the night at a hotel at the destination. I chose to sleep in the airport. BAAAAAD choice. The bench is uncomfortable, the lights never go out, and people don't leave till about 1am, but start coming in at 4:30am. Plus, in mid-October without any body heat, it got pretty chilly in the lonely airport.

4) If you do choose to spend the night at the airport, since you'll woken up super early anyways, spring for the earliest flight back.

3) If you can plan it, minimize the layover time, especially considering this is all domestic. Longest distance I had to walk was from one side of YHZ to the other, which is about 5 minutes.

5) Having lounge access would have been helpful in case of long layovers. I do not have status currently (have had it in the past) and had to spend all my time in the boarding area.

It was a pretty brutal experience, and with the standby change, I ended up netting 7 segments in just under 24 hours and $400. Hopefully I won't have to do it again next year!
Old Oct 19, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: AC*SE100K; Marriott Titanium; NEXUS
Originally Posted by YYZZYY
Ok so I planned an 8-segment run this weekend and thought I'd provide some feedback.
I planned for YTZ-YUL-YOW-YHZ-YQM and then back the following day. First flight would leave at noon Saturday, and I would land back in Toronto around 6pm Sunday.

1) This is a laborious itinerary. Oh my god is it ever. The constant sitting and waiting proved to me too much for me, and I ended up getting on standby and skipping one segment on the return.

2) Plan to spend the night at a hotel at the destination. I chose to sleep in the airport. BAAAAAD choice. The bench is uncomfortable, the lights never go out, and people don't leave till about 1am, but start coming in at 4:30am. Plus, in mid-October without any body heat, it got pretty chilly in the lonely airport.

4) If you do choose to spend the night at the airport, since you'll woken up super early anyways, spring for the earliest flight back.

3) If you can plan it, minimize the layover time, especially considering this is all domestic. Longest distance I had to walk was from one side of YHZ to the other, which is about 5 minutes.

5) Having lounge access would have been helpful in case of long layovers. I do not have status currently (have had it in the past) and had to spend all my time in the boarding area.

It was a pretty brutal experience, and with the standby change, I ended up netting 7 segments in just under 24 hours and $400. Hopefully I won't have to do it again next year!
Yes, I've done this one too only in the reverse. Your version is quite hardcore though with no hotel and no lounge access. I couldn't imagine sleeping at YQM. Also, I'm not sure I could stomach it with nothing planned at the other end--I needed something to go to in order to make it worth my while beyond the segments.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:10 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite

Im curious what status level you are making a run for. For $400, you could just get the Visa Infinite Privilege (assuming you qualify) and get most of the perks (minus priority phone, eups etc). But i'm not sure if you're running for SE or gunning for 35K
Old Oct 20, 2014, 8:58 am

Originally Posted by superangrypenguin
Im curious what status level you are making a run for. For $400, you could just get the Visa Infinite Privilege (assuming you qualify) and get most of the perks (minus priority phone, eups etc). But i'm not sure if you're running for SE or gunning for 35K
I did it to hit 50K. I can get 35K with regular business travel this year, but 50K puts me into *A Gold instead of Silver. I know I will be travelling even more next year, so the work and $400 needed to get to 50K was worth it... kind of..

What does the Visa Infinite Privilege get you?
Old Oct 21, 2014, 7:26 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
What does the Visa Infinite Privilege get you?
See here
Old Oct 21, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Does anyone have suggestions on cheap segments out of YYZ, YTZ or BUF for Nov or early Dec ? i may need 8-10 for SE. I have Nexus/GE, E75 status and dates are flexible.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 am
alc

Originally Posted by vernonc
Does anyone have suggestions on cheap segments out of YYZ, YTZ or BUF for Nov or early Dec ? i may need 8-10 for SE. I have Nexus/GE, E75 status and dates are flexible.
Are you willing to do the 2-day run that YYZZYY mentioned above?

---- Added ----

Here is an itinerary for Fri Nov 21 to Sat Nov 22, a 24-hours run:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...=350;so=p;eo=e

Total $321.20 (Tango K Fare) for 8 segments - $40.15 / segment.

Last edited by alc; Oct 21, 2014 at 9:26 am Reason: added link
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:41 am

Programs: AC SE MM, Bonvoy Plat, Hilton G,Nexus, Amex MR Plat,IHG Plat
Originally Posted by alc
Are you willing to do the 2-day run that YYZZYY mentioned above?

---- Added ----

Here is an itinerary for Fri Nov 21 to Sat Nov 22, a 24-hours run:

https://www.google.ca/flights/#searc...=350;so=p;eo=e

Total $321.20 (Tango K Fare) for 8 segments - $40.15 / segment.
Thanks !!!
Old Oct 21, 2014, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by tnkngn
See here
Interesting. Not really worth it for frequent travelers because you don't gain the *A designation, meaning bottom of the barrel for codeshare partners. Also no e-upgrades. I see it as a great option for the occasional vacation travelers who have $400 to burn.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:17 pm

A little new to this but I've been trying to play around with ITA matrix to get a 8 segment run in early December.

I am flying for work from YYC-YYZ-YYB. However, I don't want to tire myself out on the way there so I was hoping to building a return trip back to YYC from YYB that has 6 segments.

Is this possible? Best I could come up with is 4 segments back to YYC.

I am also open to other options.. such a segment run out of YYZ before I fly back to YYC.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 8:31 pm

Programs: AC*Tangerine
Originally Posted by bjywong
A little new to this but I've been trying to play around with ITA matrix to get a 8 segment run in early December.

I am flying for work from YYC-YYZ-YYB. However, I don't want to tire myself out on the way there so I was hoping to building a return trip back to YYC from YYB that has 6 segments.

Is this possible? Best I could come up with is 4 segments back to YYC.

I am also open to other options.. such a segment run out of YYZ before I fly back to YYC.
You can fly YYB-YYZ-YQT-YWG-YQR-YEG-YYC for $470 on 8 Dec, but I promise it won't be fun...

Put "AC AC AC AC AC AC" in the advanced routing codes box, one AC per segment. Or, for example, try AC AC AC+ for three or more segments.
Old Nov 13, 2014, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by i59bravo
You can fly YYB-YYZ-YQT-YWG-YQR-YEG-YYC for $470 on 8 Dec, but I promise it won't be fun...

Put "AC AC AC AC AC AC" in the advanced routing codes box, one AC per segment. Or, for example, try AC AC AC+ for three or more segments.
Thanks for the tip!

Yikes that does looks pretty painful. May be status isn't worth chasing so late in the year (just started frequent business traveling in August)... might be better off trying next year by adding a few extra segments here or there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.