Search

International Connections in YYZ

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
International Connections in YYZ

Hello there!

I'm planning a trip from PHL - PVG in October. I'm going to connect in YYZ. I'm not really familiar with YYZ, would anyone be able to tell me about how much time I would need for a safe connection in YYZ to get from what I assume would be a regional arrival on an E175 from PHL to an international departure gate to PVG?

There are really two options; one that gives me about a 4 hour layover and another that gives me just under an hour and a half.

Any help would be appreciated. I heard the YYZ lounge is pretty nice.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Its really easy.
You arrive in the international pier, before going downstairs to the immigration, there is a special immigration desk to the left for international connections, and boom you are in departures Total connect time with walking... maybe 10 minutes?

While mediocre by world standards, but compared to US clubs, the YYZ lounge is indeed very nice
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_us_intl.html
Old Sep 5, 2012, 9:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat
Thanks guys! So 1:30 or slightly more will be plenty of time to connect without any other potential delays. It always makes me nervous to have a connection like that where if I miss it I'm screwed until the next day pretty much. I think Ill risk it though!
Old Sep 5, 2012, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by higgies
Thanks guys! So 1:30 or slightly more will be plenty of time to connect without any other potential delays. It always makes me nervous to have a connection like that where if I miss it I'm screwed until the next day pretty much. I think Ill risk it though!
I dont think youd be screwed until next day, IIRC, the NRT and PEK flights leave later from YYZ.... AC should rebook you with a connection in those cities.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: Hilton HHonors, UA Mileage Plus
Hi All: First time posting, so please be kind. I've got a trip coming up in a few weeks - ORD-YYZ-MUC-BUD. My corporate travel department booked the flight, so I didn't get a say in the itinerary. I've got some questions about connecting through YYZ. I've read the stuff on the AC website regarding transferring between the US and International flights, and I still have some questions. The expected plane for ORD-YYZ is a CRJ705, so my carry on will most likely have to be checked at the gate in ORD. The last time I had to check at the gate and fly to Canada (Calgary as final destination), I had to clear customs before I could get my luggage back. Will I have to go to baggage claim and get my gate checked bag before passing through to the YYZ-MUC flight? While I could check my bag straight through to BUD, I would rather just carry on. Any help would be appreciated...
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:26 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Skycheck is fairly friendly. You leave your bag at the door of the aircraft in the jetway, or on a cart in front of the door if you board on the tarmac. You pick up your bag in one of those two places (depending on whether a jetway is used where you arrive) at the destination airport. You won't have to go to the carousel unless you have checked bags pre-security.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
Skycheck is fairly friendly. You leave your bag at the door of the aircraft in the jetway, or on a cart in front of the door if you board on the tarmac. You pick up your bag in one of those two places (depending on whether a jetway is used where you arrive) at the destination airport. You won't have to go to the carousel unless you have checked bags pre-security.
SkyCheck?
The poster is flying from ORD on UA CR7.

But yes, green-tag bags, I've always seen them by the plane/or on jetway.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 9:39 pm

Programs: NEXUS; alas, no status anymore.
Originally Posted by rankourabu
SkyCheck?
The poster is flying from ORD on UA CR7.

But yes, green-tag bags, I've always seen them by the plane/or on jetway.
He said CRJ-705. ACX flies those; UAX flies CRJ-700s. So I assumed ACX.
Old Sep 7, 2012, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PhotoJim
He said CRJ-705. ACX flies those; UAX flies CRJ-700s. So I assumed ACX.
ahh..youre probably right.. I forgot thats what CRAs are
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:24 am

Programs: UA Silver
Connecting at YYZ (US to International)

I will be completing the following itinerary:

UA: DEN-YYZ
AC: YYZ-ZRH
LX: ZRH-DXB

When I transit through YYZ, do I need to collect my checked bag for customs and re-check it or is that not done? All is on one UA-issued PRN.

Thank you
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:33 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Not on the outbound from the US. But if you are returning on the reverse itinerary, you will have to claim the bags for US preclearance.
Old Sep 25, 2012, 4:57 am

Thanks. I still personally have to go through Canadian customs/immigration though, right?
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:20 am

Programs: AA EXP Hilton Diamond
You will clear US immigration and customs in YYZ. There is nothing that has to be done in the US.

Last edited by pbuntrock; Sep 25, 2012 at 5:23 am Reason: typo
Old Sep 25, 2012, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by pbuntrock
You will clear US immigration and customs in YYZ. There is nothing that has to be done in the US.

I am going the other direction (DEN to YYZ to ZRH)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.