Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Diabetic woman says prepaid Air Canada meal denied

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: HH Silver

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nada-meal.html

A diabetic woman who travelled from Edmonton to Saint John last week on Air Canada, says she went nearly 12 hours without a meal, even though her son prepaid for one.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:29 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...nada-meal.html

A diabetic woman who travelled from Edmonton to Saint John last week on Air Canada, says she went nearly 12 hours without a meal, even though her son prepaid for one.
She traveled across the country, and couldn't think ahead far enough to bring along some food for herself? Really?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AC E50k
In general, AC really do consider health issues. My father in law is diabetic. Last week, his flight from BOG was delayed several hours, missed connection, etc. No one was offered accomodation in YYZ. My partner pleaded that he needed to rest, that he could not wait the 3 hours (3am to 6am) wandering in the airport. AC provided rooms and meal vouchers (as it should be). Sometimes you only need to ask and make your case. Sad but true.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:53 pm

Just one thing, "nearly 12 hours" ? CBC never fails to lie in a story somehow to make it into a crisis/tragedy

YEG-YUL , 30 mins to change planes ( she was unable to get anything in Montreal due to short change time) then Saint John

If you add flying time, lay over time and time zone change maybe you can come up with 12 hours. And that's a stretch

Either she was in Montreal a lot longer, or it was a 8 hour " ordeal"
Old Aug 27, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Really, people need to speak up for themselves.

Do you mean to tell me that no-one on the plane would offer to accept cash from her and use their credit card to buy her something? I've offered to do this for others when I've heard the flight attendant turn down the cash. And that's without knowing there's a reason they need to have some food in them. I just do it because it is the kind thing to do.

Then again, perhaps I should just mind my own business.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:06 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xLuther
Just one thing, "nearly 12 hours" ? CBC never fails to lie in a story somehow to make it into a crisis/tragedy

YEG-YUL , 30 mins to change planes ( she was unable to get anything in Montreal due to short change time) then Saint John

If you add flying time, lay over time and time zone change maybe you can come up with 12 hours. And that's a stretch

Either she was in Montreal a lot longer, or it was a 8 hour " ordeal"
The article says she went without eating for nearly 12 hours, not that she was flying or in transit for 12 hours.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
The article says she went without eating for nearly 12 hours, not that she was flying or in transit for 12 hours.
So ? it was written to give the impression AC caused "nearly" 12 hours of pain

And if that's the case question is still why ? The 12 hour number is used to manipulate the reader

Yellow journalism, standard CBC
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:25 pm

According to the CBC article - the only problem i see is LT07 did not show up.

I agree with others, that she could have paid someone to use their credit card.

Also 12 hrs, there must be transit time in between. She could have bought something during that time. If she wasnt feeling well, she could have advised the FA to arrange medics on board/on ground and/or rebooked her to a later flight so she can get some food and rest.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: A3&O6 Gold,IC AMB & HH Diamond
Usually in most cases the customer is always right, but when it comes to AC, it seems that the customer is Always Wrong!

Last edited by djjaguar64; Aug 27, 2012 at 6:34 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:42 pm

Originally Posted by djjaguar64
Usually in most cases the customer is always right, but when it comes to AC, it seems that the customer is Always Wrong!
No but they should be guilty only of what they did wrong, not silly trumped up CBC patented "victim" piece
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:47 pm

Programs: FT
Wow. Big surprise here. Experienced travellors instinct is to blame the stupid victim. wow, she must be a real stupid idiot and you must all feel very proud of noting how stupid she was for not saying something.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by mkjr
Wow. Big surprise here. Experienced travellors instinct is to blame the stupid victim. wow, she must be a real stupid idiot and you must all feel very proud of noting how stupid she was for not saying something.
Well people can't help unless they know you need help

Simply "asking" might have worked, we will never know since instead of asking, it was wait and run to the yellow press to complain to the world.

Some people expect the world to know what they need and want, other like to rant about how morally superior they are, like this post

She made her self a victim in the press, that does not mean she does not bare some responsibility in her own fate.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
I will agree that AC's system did screw up and that's the start of the problem BUT a diabetic should always have snacks with them. And asking someone with a credit card to purchase a snack for them paying them the cash is not at all outlandish.

Originally Posted by mkjr
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:04 pm
Original Poster

So ?
So what? So why bother reading the article as written before shooting the messenger? You'd disupted the length of time quoted and I was merely noting it wasn't her travel time including connections as it clearly says it was the length of time she was without food.

If you prefer to accuse CBC of sensationalism that's one thing but I disagree with your contention they were lying as IMHO that's not the case.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: FT
Well people can't help unless they know you need help

Simply "asking" might have worked, we will never know since instead of asking, it was wait and run to the yellow press to complain to the world.

Some people expect the world to know what they need and want, other like to rant about how morally superior they are, like this post

She made her self a victim in the press, that does not mean she does not bare some responsibility in her own fate.
Wow. You must feel good about what you say. Keep on blaming this poor stupid women.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.