Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Award ticket rules trump fare class for accrual?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

It seems that despite flying on a T+ award ticket to/from the US (through credit card), I am being denied miles/segments. I received a letter clearly showing I was on a W ticket and at the bottom it says they could not credit me the miles. A quick call to the AP line says that because I am flying an award ticket (non-AP redemption BTW) I cannot be given the miles. This seems a bit strange as the ticket was not booked into a super low fare class and my BP stated "Tango Plus".

I really could have used those extra 2 segments
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Are you complaining because you didn't pay for a ticket and also didn't get miles? Why is this strange? If you didn't pay for the ticket, you shouldn't really be getting the miles. Air Miles tickets, IIRC, have the same thing...book into revenue classes that are usually earnable, but for certain tickets, aren't.

Same thing on US airlines with some fares, for example, blind priceline fares, at least in some cases, book into regular, published revenue buckets, with a restriction that they aren't usually upgradable, and don't earn miles.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 4:51 pm

>I received a letter clearly showing I was on a W ticket and at the bottom it says they could not credit me the miles. A quick call to the AP line says that because I am flying an award ticket (non-AP redemption BTW) I cannot be given the miles.

That sounds bogus. I've redeemed credit card points for flights on AC and got the miles/segmenets credited with no hassles. Also

http://www1.aeroplan.com/earn_miles/...tner=AirCanada

says that W fares qualify for 100% miles and segment recognition.

Last edited by yyzsfoflyer; Jul 19, 2012 at 4:53 pm Reason: avoid confusion with other reply
Old Jul 19, 2012, 5:35 pm

Programs: AC SE MM, Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, hhonors Gold

Was it an airmiles redemption? Those do not earn miles.

Credit card redemptions that have cash for purchase type terms should count for miles though.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 7:15 pm

if I recall W is AirMiles
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Credit card redemptions that have cash for purchase type terms should count for miles though.
That may be it. My redemption was through Citi which converted the points into $s.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:34 am

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by yyzgigi
Was it an airmiles redemption? Those do not earn miles.

Used an Air Miles redemption in April YVR-HNL. Outbound was 'L', Return was 'W' on AC metal. Earned 2705 status miles for each.

Ron.
Old Jul 21, 2012, 11:48 am

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Originally Posted by newfbc
Used an Air Miles redemption in April YVR-HNL. Outbound was 'L', Return was 'W' on AC metal. Earned 2705 status miles for each.

Ron.
Beware. I got AM miles inappropriately and the auditor caught the error and they took back the miles without any communication - 3 years later!
Old Jul 21, 2012, 2:08 pm
Original Poster

Yes, I was on an AM redemption. Unless they are paying AC a reduced cost (in which case, I would think they'd book the tickets into a bottom fare), I don't see why I cannot get status miles. I paid for the tickets using points I accrued with spending and AC was paid by AM for the ticket booked in W class. Both flights were on CRJs but otherwise I would most likely have had the chance to LMU seeing as the computer saw me as being on a T+ fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.