Wiki Posts
Search

Issues with AC

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Clipper801
I personally don't care about AC MM.

I pay to fly in business class, not looking for upgrade on a Tango Plus ticket. When it's free, take whatever is provided and not be a "choosy beggar".

CX does not have free upgrade. That may be one of the reason why they are able to preserve the quality of that premium cabin.

While AC boasts itself as the best North American airlines by Skytrax, the same organization also rated CX as #4 best and TK #9 best in the world.

CX is voted the best transpacific airline and its $700 cheaper than the 3-star rated AC. How did AC justified the premium? CX is non-stop too. Additionally, CX will throw in a pair of HKG-PVG, or HKG-TPE, or HKG-PEK in business class for free when you book YYZ-HKG in business.

If the price is comparable, I'd gladly fly AC. The other airlines require an intermediary connection and are not as convenient, but this is reflected in the cheaper price ($1,200 cheaper on TK but gets full *A Status Miles and COS and $3,100 cheaper on BR but no daily flight and no *A Status Miles). Both AC and CX are direct non-stop service. One is rated better than the other. I find it difficult to justify the large premium (>10%) demanded by AC since I am not looking to play Aerolotto.
In my pricing consideration I figure 100 % upgrade on T+ and double miles.

So, for a 20,000 mile RT I get about 35000 miles from AC and 3500 from Amex , resulting in a free J award after 3 trips and a bit. So, I fly 4 TPAC for $5000-$8000 all in. That's basically what keeps me on AC at the moment. Without upgrades, no AC.
Old Jul 19, 2012, 8:29 am

Originally Posted by Allvest
In my pricing consideration I figure 100 % upgrade on T+ and double miles.

So, for a 20,000 mile RT I get about 35000 miles from AC and 3500 from Amex , resulting in a free J award after 3 trips and a bit. So, I fly 4 TPAC for $5000-$8000 all in. That's basically what keeps me on AC at the moment. Without upgrades, no AC.
You will likely find eUpgrade easier on many TPAC in the coming months because of the non-upgradeable Tango and upgradeable Tango Plus fare differential. Unlike you, many may not be willing to pay the extra to buy Tango Plus to play aerolotto. There will be fewer upgrade requests.

Many will still fly AC this year because they earned their E and SE status from 2011, for priority services, lounge access and extra baggage allowance, etc. However, I suspect that many will fall away in 2013 with the 50% accrual ratio on Tango fare and the higher 50K E threshold.

Then in 2013 with the higher tier status out of the equation, the decision process to purchase with which airline will likely be very different.

For those of us who pay to fly in business class, the price differential between AC and many of its competitors is so wide that many of us are switching. The end result will be fewer passengers buying business to fly AC and hence more vacant seats available for upgrade.

AC is perhaps getting too greedy but price is a function of supply and demand with rational consumers. I honestly don’t see the value to pay 10% more to fly AC than CX and save even more with some of AC’s other competitors such as LX, TK and BR. None of the three requires a connection via the U.S.A. and an interview with the U.S.C.B.P. If there are AC loyalists willing to pay the huge premium to fly AC, good for AC.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 19, 2012 at 8:47 am
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:01 am

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by HomerJ
....your most consistent customers with downgrades in benefits and then having the added gall of calling them enhancements.

Don't fill the front of the plane with employees in uniform when the back of the plane is filled with folks with SE/E tags on their carry on.

Don't compare your service levels to the lowest common denominator (US legacy airlines) compare them to Airlines that actually provide decent levels of service.
+3!! ^^^

Originally Posted by Clipper801
AC is perhaps getting too greedy but price is a function of supply and demand with rational consumers. I honestly don’t see the value to pay 10% more to fly AC than CX and save even more with some of AC’s other competitors such as LX, TK and BR. None of the three requires a connection via the U.S.A. and an interview with the U.S.C.B.P. If there are AC loyalists willing to pay the huge premium to fly AC, good for AC.
Right to the point! I maybe a loyalists to my hard earn money, but for sure not AC or AP!
Old Jul 19, 2012, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by CEOtobe
Hey everyone,

I'm taking a marketing class this summer, and my prof gave me a brand assignment. I have to highlight THREE things that a brand needs to improve on (I chose Air Canada). So what are the top three things that Air Canada needs to work on? He recommended this forum to me, so I was hoping I could get some feedback- I've never flown Air Canada before!

Thank-you in advance,

Katie N.
Competitive pricing. Check what your competitors' prices on the same route. Consumers compare shop routinely and it's easy to do over the Internet.

Read the few foregoing posts. AC's pricing on some routes are significantly more expensive than some of its competitors.

Last edited by Clipper801; Jul 20, 2012 at 6:12 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.