Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

First time AC flyer, need info on passing through YYZ to SFO

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Hello Everyone!

Next month family and I will fly for the first time on AC coming home from a european trip. AC883 CPH-YYZ, then AC739 YYZ-SFO. We are flying business class.

Couple of years ago we flew YVR-SFO, we went through immigration at YVR, and the plane arrived at SFO as a domestic flight. It was a painful 2 hour long line to get through immigration at YVR. Given the choice, I would rather go through immigration at SFO.

I would like to know do passengers also go through immigratin at YYZ for YYZ-SFO flights? Are the lines bad? We have a three-hour layover, is this enough time?

Also, any lounge access at YYZ for bus passengers? Any other suggestions/tips are also greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by ianlin
Hello Everyone!

Next month family and I will fly for the first time on AC coming home from a european trip. AC883 CPH-YYZ, then AC739 YYZ-SFO. We are flying business class.

Couple of years ago we flew YVR-SFO, we went through immigration at YVR, and the plane arrived at SFO as a domestic flight. It was a painful 2 hour long line to get through immigration at YVR. Given the choice, I would rather go through immigration at SFO.

I would like to know do passengers also go through immigratin at YYZ for YYZ-SFO flights? Are the lines bad? We have a three-hour layover, is this enough time?

Also, any lounge access at YYZ for bus passengers? Any other suggestions/tips are also greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Yes, you collect your baggage at YYZ and go through US pre-clearance.

3h is more than enough. I cant remember ever having waited more than half an hour in line.

Yes, theres an AC Maple Leaf Lounge in the transborder area youll have access to.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:56 pm

Programs: AC*SE-MM, BA Bronze, Marriott Titanium & lifetime Plat
For both Canadian and US immigration at YYZ there's a "transit" line, which is shorter than the "regular" line. In Canadian immigration, it's over to the left of the hall. In US immigration, you won't even see the main entrance unless you go out to the very front of the airport. The "transit" entrance is much easier to find.
3 hours is more than enough. You'll have plenty of time to grab a Tim Horton's donut on your way to the lounge!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krayZpaving
For both Canadian and US immigration at YYZ there's a "transit" line, which is shorter than the "regular" line. In Canadian immigration, it's over to the left of the hall. In US immigration, you won't even see the main entrance unless you go out to the very front of the airport. The "transit" entrance is much easier to find.
3 hours is more than enough. You'll have plenty of time to grab a Tim Horton's donut on your way to the lounge!
Do you mean we have to get through Canadian immigration first, then US immigration?
Old Jul 16, 2012, 1:33 pm

Originally Posted by ianlin
Do you mean we have to get through Canadian immigration first, then US immigration?
No, there is no Canadian immigration and custom/excise formalities for International to U.S. connection at YYZ. I assume that your family are travelling on U.S. passports.

Here's the procedures in detail:

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...z_intl_us.html
Old Jul 16, 2012, 3:16 pm

Programs: UA 50K, refugee from AC E50K, Marriott Lifetime Plat
You'll get off your CPH flight, probably walk down a long hallway then at the end you'll see a purple sign for connecting to your SFO flight. This is where you start the transit formalities / getting your bags etc. If you have duty free (liquids in particular) you'll have to pack them in your bags at this point.

You'll pre-clear US customs at YYZ then arrive in SFO in the International Terminal, albeit as a domestic flight so your bags will likely come off carousel 12 which is a relatively non-secure area.

If you're flying J for the YYZSFO segment, you should be able to get into the Transborder MLL.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all so much for your valuable and informative replies!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: Recovering long-time AC SE100K (currently E50K), Accor Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz President's Circle
One additional tip. Whatever you do, don't buy any liquid duty-free items in CPH or on the flight. You won't be able to bring them through to your SFO flight unless you insert them in your checked bags after picking them up off the carousel.

Have a great trip!
Old Jul 17, 2012, 3:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks!

Is the Maple Leaf lounge located before or after pre-clearance?
Old Jul 17, 2012, 4:23 pm

i usually aim for 2 hours and have never missed a flight due to immigration except when I was sent to secondary screening. As it happens that was for the same flight you're on and they just moved me up to the 8pm (which gets in pretty late so I could understand being unhappy about it).

When you see the maze for Canadian immigration you take a hard left turn and head up some stairs to the US preclearance. Usually there's an airport staff there trying to catch anyone who misses it. If you're looking for the signage and not just following the crowd it's not hard to find.

After preclearance you drop your bag on a carousel and go through US-style security run by Canadian authorities. You can add any liquids you purchased at CPH before security. There's also an AC agent with a terminal here for any rebookings for missed flights.

After security if you want to go straight to the lounge head to the right corner and take the elevator up. You can actually catch it right there at the security but if you forget and head down the escalator then you kind of have to double back and find the elevator in the alcove (to the far right with your back to security).

The MLL is not far off the standard of the SAS lounges I've seen. Significantly better than a UA red carpet lounge but it's no 1st class lounge. There are showers which you can request at the front desk.

They do NOT call flights in the lounge. Not even if you're checked in and missing your flight. There's a reason I said above "never missed a flight due to immigration"....
Old Jul 19, 2012, 12:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by zkzkz
i usually aim for 2 hours and have never missed a flight due to immigration except when I was sent to secondary screening. As it happens that was for the same flight you're on and they just moved me up to the 8pm (which gets in pretty late so I could understand being unhappy about it).

When you see the maze for Canadian immigration you take a hard left turn and head up some stairs to the US preclearance. Usually there's an airport staff there trying to catch anyone who misses it. If you're looking for the signage and not just following the crowd it's not hard to find.

After preclearance you drop your bag on a carousel and go through US-style security run by Canadian authorities. You can add any liquids you purchased at CPH before security. There's also an AC agent with a terminal here for any rebookings for missed flights.

After security if you want to go straight to the lounge head to the right corner and take the elevator up. You can actually catch it right there at the security but if you forget and head down the escalator then you kind of have to double back and find the elevator in the alcove (to the far right with your back to security).

The MLL is not far off the standard of the SAS lounges I've seen. Significantly better than a UA red carpet lounge but it's no 1st class lounge. There are showers which you can request at the front desk.

They do NOT call flights in the lounge. Not even if you're checked in and missing your flight. There's a reason I said above "never missed a flight due to immigration"....
haha, that's funny. Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.