Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

International Flights from Edmonton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

International Flights from Edmonton

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 3:32 pm

Now I am really screwed. All my travel is to the N.E. U.S. It looks like trips will either involve the red-eye or 13 hours through various airports. Ugh.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by AltaBound
Now I am really screwed. All my travel is to the N.E. U.S. It looks like trips will either involve the red-eye or 13 hours through various airports. Ugh.
Could you elaborate?

YEG-YYZ: approx. 3:45h
connection at YYZ: approx 1-2h
YYZ-US East Coast: approx. 1-2h

I'm not saying it's ideal, but any one-stop connecting shouldn't take 13h unless you're really unlucky.
Old May 23, 2016, 3:57 pm

Unfortunately I am not going to a major airport in the N.E. but a regional. Believe it or not the options winnow down very quickly. I used to fly through YYZ but AC abandoned the connecting flight (justifiably). That is how I ended up connecting through ORD or DEN as they had the most convenient schedule.

I did a brief check of AC and UA schedules and the best routings they came up with were the ones I described. I will go back to Kayak to check out the other airlines, but based on past experience I am not too hopeful. The good news is my next trip down is at the end of June before schedule changes.
Old May 23, 2016, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Unfortunately I am not going to a major airport in the N.E. but a regional. Believe it or not the options winnow down very quickly. I used to fly through YYZ but AC abandoned the connecting flight (justifiably). That is how I ended up connecting through ORD or DEN as they had the most convenient schedule.

I did a brief check of AC and UA schedules and the best routings they came up with were the ones I described. I will go back to Kayak to check out the other airlines, but based on past experience I am not too hopeful. The good news is my next trip down is at the end of June before schedule changes.
Fair enough. A double connection indeed is a PITA.

Even then, I would've assumed most destinations could be reached within 10h-11h (potentially less if combining flying and driving); e.g.:

3:45h YEG-YYZ + 2:45h YYZ-ORD-regional airport (flying time) + 2.5h connecting time at airports + 1-2h for inefficiency = 10h-11h.

But either way, it's a fully day wasted for travelling.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:55 pm

Surprised we didn't have any insight of these pull-downs form the local YEG contingent here?

Wo's prepping the EIAA spin to provide the "real" reason airlines are getting out of YEG as fast as possible? On-time performance issues? YYC? Low CAD? Spite? Flights are profitable, just not profitable enough?

What service will remain that's not subsidized?
Old May 23, 2016, 7:59 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
Surprised we didn't have any insight of these pull-downs form the local YEG contingent here?

Wo's prepping the EIAA spin to provide the "real" reason airlines are getting out of YEG as fast as possible? On-time performance issues? YYC? Low CAD? Spite? Flights are profitable, just not profitable enough?

What service will remain that's not subsidized?
Why are you so hostile about this?
Old May 23, 2016, 8:06 pm

OK, I will bite

1. Please note my location
2. Am I happy about it? No
3. Do I think it is a plot by central Canada or others to short change us of air service? No
4. Do I think it is business decision driven by financial results? Yes

That is all the insight I can provide
Old May 23, 2016, 8:20 pm

Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Any idea how DL is doing on YEG-MSP? or how they're doing on YEG-SEA?

I only ask because the SEA flight is new on DL, and I just heard that DL is pulling out of YQR, ending their YQR-MSP flights this summer. Wonder if YEG is safe?
Old May 23, 2016, 8:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by nave888
Any idea how DL is doing on YEG-MSP? or how they're doing on YEG-SEA?

I only ask because the SEA flight is new on DL, and I just heard that DL is pulling out of YQR, ending their YQR-MSP flights this summer. Wonder if YEG is safe?
While I would be less surprised to see DL end the SEA route I would be to see it drop the decades old MSP route especially now in light of UA's decision as no ORD means more passenger are likely to connect in MSP.
Old May 23, 2016, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by tcook052
While I would be less surprised to see DL end the SEA route I would be to see it drop the decades old MSP route especially now in light of UA's decision as no ORD means more passenger are likely to connect in MSP.
Ironically, according to Kayak, my new flight possibilities put me through either MSP or SEA on the way out and through YYZ on WS on the way back. I may be on my way to a third FFP in 3 years because of sked changes.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:47 am

Not surprising based on current mess/confusion UA corporately is in, Economic conditions in Alberta make is a no brainier for them. Personally I hold my nose when I fly UA anyway, not having them as choice is fine by me.

If demand is there someone will fill it. PHX /MSP both good hubs to transit through, MSP was my main choice for years. What is old is new again.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:38 am

Programs: Aeroplan
If DL stepped in with a DTW direct it would give you excellent connections with the US East Coast. One can only dream...

Last edited by smallmj; May 24, 2016 at 9:39 am Reason: oops
Old May 24, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by xLuther
Not surprising based on current mess/confusion UA corporately is in, Economic conditions in Alberta make is a no brainier for them. Personally I hold my nose when I fly UA anyway, not having them as choice is fine by me.

If demand is there someone will fill it. PHX /MSP both good hubs to transit through, MSP was my main choice for years. What is old is new again.
I transited MSP for years in the NWA days. I would rather transit via MSP than PHX.

I understand your comments wrt UA but schedule and * Alliance made it convenient/sense for me to fly them. Time to reconsider.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:18 pm

Some numbers from EIA website. They are not pretty.

April 2016

Highlights

Terminal
•Terminal 534,492 passengers (2,229,381 Year to Date)
•Domestic 399,485 passengers (1,624,151 Year to Date)
•Transborder 85,659 passengers (373,293 Year to Date)
•International 49,348 passengers (231,937 Year to Date)
•Rolling 12-Month Total 7,160,157

Growth%
•Terminal -9.8% (-5.1% Year to Date)
•Domestic -3.4% (0.6% Year to Date)
•Transborder -28.2% (-23.2% Year to Date)
•International -17.8% (-7.2% Year to Date)
•Rolling 12-Month -1.7%
Old May 26, 2016, 4:11 am

Programs: AC SE, UA, National Exec Elite, Nexus, GE
Some numbers from EIA website. They are not pretty.

April 2016

Highlights

Terminal
•Terminal 534,492 passengers (2,229,381 Year to Date)
•Domestic 399,485 passengers (1,624,151 Year to Date)
•Transborder 85,659 passengers (373,293 Year to Date)
•International 49,348 passengers (231,937 Year to Date)
•Rolling 12-Month Total 7,160,157

Growth%
•Terminal -9.8% (-5.1% Year to Date)
•Domestic -3.4% (0.6% Year to Date)
•Transborder -28.2% (-23.2% Year to Date)
•International -17.8% (-7.2% Year to Date)
•Rolling 12-Month -1.7%
Not surprising. A lot of the lost traffic is due to the slump in oil price.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.