Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

International Flights from Edmonton

International Flights from Edmonton

Old Jun 25, 12, 8:35 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 239
International Flights from Edmonton

Air Canada removed some of their direct flights to London in their fall schedule.

I wonder if our Airport authority is actively pursuing improving this situation?
JohnOClark is offline  
Old Jun 25, 12, 8:43 am
  #2  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan, Canada & Manufactured Spending
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: YEG
Posts: 53,116
Originally Posted by JohnOClark View Post
Air Canada removed some of their direct flights to London in their fall schedule.

I wonder if our Airport authority is actively pursuing improving this situation?
It happens every fall as AC scales back on the frequency of it's LHR flights. If given the choice I'd rather have fewer flights than none at all in low season and expecting year round daily flights YEG-LHR is IMHO unrealistic.
tcook052 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 12, 9:13 am
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: YVR
Programs: aeroplan Elite, Priority Club. HHonours
Posts: 314
Originally Posted by tcook052 View Post
It happens every fall as AC scales back on the frequency of it's LHR flights. If given the choice I'd rather have fewer flights than none at all in low season and expecting year round daily flights YEG-LHR is IMHO unrealistic.



In the 1970's (and into the 1980's) AC used DC 8's from the West coast to LHR. YEG enjoyed a daily service to LHR since the YVR flight used YEG as a fuel stop.
AC854 is offline  
Old Jun 25, 12, 9:53 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Posts: 777
As far as I know, it's been only a few times a week in the low season since AC restarted the route a few years back.

Wasn't it 3x week at first, then daily over summer? What is it for this upcoming fall/winter? 3x or 5x week?

I know for a short while last year (or the previous year) AC actually planned to put on a second flight on YEG-LHR twice a week (to have 9x week frequency over summer), but instead moved the extra 763 rotations to YYC.

I think that filling a direct YEG-LHR flight would be tough, given the various options via. YYC, YYZ, and YUL. Pax have various time/connection options to wwwwaaaaay more destinations via any of those hubs, versus one choice to LHR.
nave888 is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 6:41 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 1,987
Apparently KLM will be starting flights from YEG next May - 4 times weekly initially. Interesting given AC's relationship with YEG.
Tractor Boy is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 7:11 pm
  #6  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YEG - No Particular Loyalty Anymore
Posts: 3,609
I wonder if the pending official announcement of this will be sufficient enough 'big news' for some on this board.
ProudEdmontonian is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 9:47 pm
  #7  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: YYC
Posts: 22,471
Originally Posted by Tractor Boy View Post
Apparently KLM will be starting flights from YEG next May - 4 times weekly initially. Interesting given AC's relationship with YEG.
Do they still fly scary MD11s?

And who wants to take a bet on how long the experience will last?
Stranger is offline  
Old Oct 10, 14, 10:15 pm
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 627
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
And who wants to take a bet on how long the experience will last?
Longer than LH in YYC I'm sure.
TheGreatestX is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 4:58 am
  #9  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Programs: BA Gold, O6*G, WS Gold
Posts: 250
Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian View Post
I wonder if the pending official announcement of this will be sufficient enough 'big news' for some on this board.
Will you still fly Icelandair to Europe now?
kevy_boy is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 5:32 am
  #10  
Formerly known as tireman77
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: ACA
Posts: 4,524
Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
Do they still fly scary MD11s?

And who wants to take a bet on how long the experience will last?
They are retiring the MD-11s later this month. YUL is the happy destination to the be the last KLM (maybe even the last commercial MD-11???) flight.
PLeblond is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 5:34 am
  #11  
Formerly known as tireman77
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: ACA
Posts: 4,524
http://airlineroute.net/2014/10/10/kl-yeg-s15/
PLeblond is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 7:12 am
  #12  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YEG - No Particular Loyalty Anymore
Posts: 3,609
Originally Posted by kevy_boy View Post
Will you still fly Icelandair to Europe now?
Of course. It will depend where I'm going. If I had a business reason to go to LHR I would fly the non-stop otherwise I would avoid LHR and the carrier that refuses to compete with FI and KLM but plays dog-in-the-manger.

I do enough flying on American carriers to re-qualify every year for status on them. I just flew AA on the inaugural YEG-LAX last week!^

Last edited by ProudEdmontonian; Oct 11, 14 at 7:37 am
ProudEdmontonian is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 7:27 am
  #13  
Formerly known as tireman77
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Programs: ACA
Posts: 4,524
Originally Posted by ProudEdmontonian View Post
Of course. It will depend where I'm going. If I had a business reason to go to LHR I would fly the non-stop otherwise I would avoid LHR and the carrier that refuses to compete with FI and KLM but plays dog-in-the-manger.

I do enough flying on American carriers to re-qualify every year for status.
Wouldn't using DL/KLM offer best of both worlds in your case?
PLeblond is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 7:31 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: YEG - No Particular Loyalty Anymore
Posts: 3,609
Originally Posted by tireman77 View Post
Wouldn't using DL/KLM offer best of both worlds in your case?
No, because I primarily fly to PSP/LAX/PHX and DL at the present time is not an attractive option unless they decide to bring YEG-SEA or reinstate SLC.

Besides, I've been to Western Europe many times and Iceland only on the Edmonton Trade Mission. I would like to explore it more and also visit the Scandinavian countries next year.
ProudEdmontonian is offline  
Old Oct 11, 14, 11:04 am
  #15  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Canada
Programs: AC E50K (*G), Westjet Gold
Posts: 777
A332 is a big plane for YEG...With AC to LHR and FI also offering regular flights to Europe, its a lot of seats, especially the 30 in Business class!

That being said, AC really doesn't have a good reputation in YEG, so maybe KLM will be able to feed off that and make this work!
nave888 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search Engine: