Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Question: Baby birth - tix strategy?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question: Baby birth - tix strategy?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 22, 2012, 5:19 am
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Baby birth - tix strategy?

Waiting for my daughter to give birth, baby girl exact date unknown, of course. Last minute tix can be expensive. Any good strategy for tix, reward tix? YOW-YYJ. Thanks!
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:05 am

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
This may be one of those things to ITA Matrix when they admit her...

Just grab what you can.

I won't tell you what my MIL payed for a last second YUL-YYZ flight when my wife went in for baby #1
Old Jun 22, 2012, 6:48 am

Programs: AC- SE100 1MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, National Executive, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Waiting for my daughter to give birth, baby girl exact date unknown, of course. Last minute tix can be expensive. Any good strategy for tix, reward tix? YOW-YYJ. Thanks!
Go through the US i.e YOW-YYZ-LAX/LAS/PHX then onto YVR-YYJ, you will save about 30% to 40% and receive full status miles! If you need to go direct and avoid the US, good luck. ^
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:03 am

Programs: UA MP - 1K
Originally Posted by bingocallerb22
Since OP is also asking for a strategy for a reward ticket, maybe book one 2 month out and once things get serious, call in and change to one of the next available flights?!
Thinking about this, you can also do the same for a revenue ticket.
Again, if things get serious, call in and change it to one of the next flights, that have the same fare class available still (if they don't, you have to pay change fee AND buy up into the next available fare class).
I'm assuming this shouldn't be too hard, since there are more than enough flights YOW-(YYZ)-(YYC/YVR)-YYJ
Old Jun 22, 2012, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Thanks for the suggestions. Of course, I have pursued them...

Wait and just buy revenue tix for next day or next couple days, on last minute fares, well, very high cost (over $1100).

Pre-buy revenue tix ($800) then change dates when known. Result: change fee $75 and fare change (if no fare change then could just buy, right?)

Wait for reward tix: might get lucky but... not a lucky person.

Pre-buy a reward flight and change dates when known. Result: change fee if are available last minute, but if they are, no need to take a chance and pre-buy, just buy?

Via USA, no problem with Global Entry/Nexus. Checked possible dates and no 30% less seen yet, actually a bit more, but nice mile accumulation.

Called AC on this, they are the experts, yes? Results: 10 day notice fares +/- 100 cheaper, ($720-760), than 7 day then 3 day advance fares ($20-$40 difference). 1 day advance fare, forget-about-it. Promos are Wednesdays, $75 change fee. Bottom line: call as soon as you can.

Called AP on this. Some availability. Could buy and change date but fee $90 and still dependent on the availability of seat at the time of booking, so not worth it. Bottom line: call as soon as you can.

From what the AP agent suggested, there is a chance a seat might be available, wait and see until have firm travel dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.