Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

Anyone consider ordering the Tumi Vapor with Aeroplan points?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM

Before people start flaming me for saying it's a waste of miles I wanted to ask has anyone considered ordering the Tumi Vapor International carryon for 48K points?

https://www2.aeroplan.com/mrch/lugga...odCC02016.html

I have near 250K miles looking to burn up and finding flights is such a huge PITA these days with the crazy surcharges. May book some Europe tickets for next year but any other suggestions which are good value burning up some miles?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Mini RTW on YQ free carriers.
And, not considering, megastar I don't even have enough points.
I also have lots of luggage thanks to 80% discounts at Zellers, and got rid of some old bags at a profit. Most of it was AC luggage, too.

Last edited by AA_EXP09; Jun 14, 2012 at 5:43 pm
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:11 pm

Programs: AC E50k, Hilton HHonors, Novotel Aclub
Yes, as a matter of fact. I am in a similar situation, sitting on a boatload of points,with no time off work and not alot of disposable income around to pay for hotels to go along with an rtw or anything. But I do need a new carryon, and I certainly don't mind upgrading myself to something nice. I was looking at the Tumi bags last week, and there was a second option - I think it was the Presidio? But by last weekend it was gone. I really wanted the suitor built-in, if I see it again I would definitely spend points on it.

Agree it may not make sense for everyone, but it works for me!
Old Jun 14, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: AC-SE MM
Several months ago I got a Tumi Alpha carry on via Aeroplan. It came fast and it's a nice bag but just too heavy. I regret buying it and now don't use it at all. I bought a Rimowa Salsa Air and this bag rules! Expensive yes but so is Tumi and since I travel every week I needed I bag I can use in and out each time. This bag weighs 4.2lbs and fully packed it weighs less then the Tumi empty. Anyway each to his own but I'm glad I made a switch.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:25 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
I guess it is all relative. I have not redeemed flights in a while due to three little frequent flyers at home. So 48,000 would not make a dent in the total balance but looks like a good bag.

@silvercity is scaring me off a little bit, though
Old Jun 14, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: 100K
what does the luggage retail for?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 8:14 pm

Programs: AC*SE & 2MM/Bonvoy Gold/HHonors Diamond
amazon has it for $269 or $350 everywhere else
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: E35K, Delta SM, AM ADV, Priority Club Plat, SPG Plat, MR *S, GR *E, Hyatt GP, AM
Originally Posted by lcohen999
amazon has it for $269 or $350 everywhere else
Where do you see $269 on Amazon, I see $369?
Old Jun 14, 2012, 9:50 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
I took my Hey's Ballistaca 2 suitcase into the luggage repair shop last week. I had pulled the handle off it trying to navigate some stairs up the subway in Beijing.

I asked the repair technician about the hard cases like in this Tumi. His comments were that they generally last longer, but when they break (or crack) they're finished for life. Non repairable.

I'm sticking with the soft cases for now.
Old Jun 14, 2012, 10:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
I took my Hey's Ballistaca 2 suitcase into the luggage repair shop last week. I had pulled the handle off it trying to navigate some stairs up the subway in Beijing.

I asked the repair technician about the hard cases like in this Tumi. His comments were that they generally last longer, but when they break (or crack) they're finished for life. Non repairable.

I was thinking about that but I have a Briggs and riley suitor and I dare not check that to keep it in good condition. It's my bag that I can travel a week for without checking. I've had it for 4 years and it still is in great condition. My intention with a Tumi or Rimowa salsa air would be to never check it but just use as carry on. It wouldn't surprise me if the baggage guys drop this from 12 feet it would crack like an egg after time! I have a 9 year old Samsonite larger suitor that's still kicking and I check if needed.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 1:13 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by worldtraveller73

My Pelican will break sometime after the world ends.

But light, it isn't.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 2:13 am
Original Member

Points?

I thought Tummy Vapors were free with membership in the Aeroplan program.
Old Jun 15, 2012, 3:24 am

Programs: AC-SEMM, AA-Gold
They are also selling these at Costco.ca
Old Jun 15, 2012, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Smile

Originally Posted by Wings100
They are also selling these at Costco.ca
Thanks wings100, however these ones at Costco.ca are only the 2 wheel ones. After witnessing many people with 4 wheel spinners In airports, I have decided I definetly want a 4 wheel one!
Old Jun 15, 2012, 8:39 am

I have bought luggage at AC's authorized repair shop (Evex in Thornhill or Mississauga). They carry a lot of high quality name brand stuff and usually have sales or at least give you a good deal. I bought a Briggs 28" upright a few years back for $250 on clearance. It's held up great and lasted 10 days being dragged through Israel (north to south, new places almost every day). The people who bought $20 carboard-reinforced luggage had tattered messes by the end of the fourth day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.