Wiki Posts
Search

ATL - AC at Terminal F - Review

Search this Thread

Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite

Have been doing frequent YYZ-ATL-YYZ trips the past 5 years and have had to endure the crappy D terminal - and equally crappy D11 Gate 11.

Just completed my first ATL trip since AC moved to the newly opened International Terminal F. Its brand spanking new - spacious, bright and airy the exact opposite of D. What a pleasure. Air Canadas gate is F14.

On Arrival:
  1. Follow-signs to Baggage Claim (regardless if have baggage or not) and exit the terminal. Its close to F14 no long walk or train required. Pretty painless.
  2. Just past the exit are shuttle buses that go directly to the Rental Car Centre (RCC).
  3. IMPORTANT - Disregard any announcement by the gate agent in ATL (he got on the plane when we got to the gate) about needing to go to the old terminal to take the train to the RCC.
  4. The shuttles seem to run all the time with minimal wait time. Notwithstanding the proximity of F terminal to the other terminals, the shuttle bus takes 12-15 minutes to get to the RCC. It seemed longer!

On Departure:
  1. Signage to the airport is a little confusing as you are heading South on I85 as there are now signs to both International and Domestic terminals. The International sign routes you to I75 South but if you have a rental car stick to 85 South as it takes you right to the RCC. I just followed the Domestic Terminal signs on 85 South and then to the RCC exit as per NOP.
  2. Shuttle bus from RCC to the F terminal took exactly 14 minutes.
  3. Dropped off about 50m from the Air Canada check in counter - what a pleasure!
  4. Short walk to security across beautiful new concourse
  5. Through security in a flash (at midday) no crowd of thousands and chaos as per the old security funnels in the North and South Terminals (may be a little more crowded for flights later in the day)
  6. The Air Canada gate F14 - is very close to security exit. Tons of seating. Huge duty free store and a number of other upscale boutiques

All in all - major improvement over D. Many pros, only con is the longish shuttle to/from F to RCC.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 5:42 pm

Nice review. Is there a lounge close by?
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*SE; AC 2MM; Marriott Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by SensFan
Closest Star Alliance lounge is likely the Senator Lounge one terminal over in Terminal E - reachable via the inter-terminal underground train.

Also a Presidents Club lounge in Terminal D

There is a Delta Lounge in Terminal F.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:56 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by SensFan
Yeah, there are like a million DL lounges.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by KenHamer
Yeah, there are like a million DL lounges.
Well, it is Atlanta after all. How many LH lounges are there at FRA? CO lounges at IAH?
Old Sep 4, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
update to ATL departure information

On Departure:
  1. Signage to the airport is a little confusing as you are heading South on I85 – as there are now signs to both International and Domestic terminals. The International sign routes you to I75 South but if you have a rental car stick to 85 South as it takes you right to the RCC. I just followed the Domestic Terminal signs on 85 South and then to the RCC exit as per NOP.
  2. Shuttle bus from RCC to the F terminal took exactly 14 minutes.
  3. Dropped off about 50m from the Air Canada check in counter - … what a pleasure!
  4. Short walk to security across beautiful new concourse
  5. Through security in a flash (at midday) – no crowd of thousands and chaos as per the old security funnels in the North and South Terminals (may be a little more crowded for flights later in the day)
  6. The Air Canada gate – F14 - is very close to security exit. Tons of seating. Huge duty free store and a number of other upscale boutiques
All in all - major improvement over D. Many pros, only con is the longish shuttle to/from F to RCC.
My experience with the new International Terminal is not as positive.........

On the negative side, it took me much longer to get to the new terminal from the MARTA. This is because you enter the main terminal, then you have to take a shuttle bus which circles the entire airfield! Including wait time, it took me 35 minutes! i.e.not nearly as convenient as a "domestic" departure from Terminal D.

On the plus side, the LH Senator Lounge in Terminal E is great! I am sitting in it now! Be aware that it closes at 5:30 pm. Otherwise, the only G* lounge is the United Club in Terminal D.

I understand that the Star Alliance will open a combined lounge in the new terminal next year. Until then, you have do take the airside train shuttle between terminals just to visit a lounge!

Last edited by Simon; Sep 5, 2012 at 7:07 am
Old Sep 4, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Honors Diamond. Priority Club Platinum. Emerald Club Executive Elite
I only fly into ATL once or twice a year. Thanks for the great report. I'll now know what to expect. Very happy to hear about a Duty Free shop nearby.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:06 am

Programs: AC E75K 2MM * DL MM * HH Diamond * Marriott Lifetime Titanium * Queen's '92
I'm with Antonio8069.

Coming in from either MARTA or the RCC is bloody awful. They should have left the checkins in the main terminal and let us take the train as ever before.

Also, the food options in F are horrid.

It is indeed bright and airy, nice bookstore, etc., but the "drive to Macon and back" shuttle is brutal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.