Search

Cost of flying

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2012, 12:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Cost of flying

Based on UA data -> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

I think they have picked one of the worst case scenario... For long-haul, the profit margin should be better.

Near the end, it also sounded like Y pax is subsidizing J/F pax's meal... I guess that's if it only one pay for Y and get 'upgraded' to J/F.

And just don't lose people's luggage, there is a saving.

Interesting read...
Old Jun 8, 2012, 2:39 pm
FB_

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by Away from YYZ
Based on UA data -> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...Tabs%3Darticle

I think they have picked one of the worst case scenario... For long-haul, the profit margin should be better.

Near the end, it also sounded like Y pax is subsidizing J/F pax's meal... I guess that's if it only one pay for Y and get 'upgraded' to J/F.

Interesting read...
I'm sure Air Canada's Salary numbers and pension responsibilities are MUCH higher than those in the article.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:02 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Unless I missed it they don't give the distance of the hypothetical flight. Makes it tough to say if the fare is realistic or not.

Wonder how much an airline earns on a $550 o/w a/i fare from YWG-YPR and other similar destinations. Probably a bit better than the hypothetical flight in the article.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
I always enjoy other pax subsidizing my airfare. I am a true bottom feeder
Old Jun 8, 2012, 3:42 pm
FB_

Programs: AP
Originally Posted by will5404
Unless I missed it they don't give the distance of the hypothetical flight. Makes it tough to say if the fare is realistic or not.

Wonder how much an airline earns on a $550 o/w a/i fare from YWG-YPR and other similar destinations. Probably a bit better than the hypothetical flight in the article.
A pretty broad brush used to paint this picture.

All we know is AC is losing money almost every quarter.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:05 pm

Originally Posted by FB_
I'm sure Air Canada's Salary numbers and pension responsibilities are MUCH higher than those in the article.
Nope.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 5:06 pm

you left out executive bonuses too
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by global_happy_traveller
you left out executive bonuses too
Have you looked at US Airways executive compensation numbers?
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Dusit
Wow, nothing like playing with the numbers and lowballing to get the desired result.
The WSJ uses "an average $146 fare for a domestic flight ($292 round-trip), plus $18 each in fees and add-ons". That's a total of $310.

The US Bureau of Transport Statistics tracks the cost of flights and they have a different number; Monday, April 30, 2012 - Average domestic air fares rose to $368 in the fourth quarter of 2011, up 10 percent from the average fare of $335 in the fourth quarter of 2010.
http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/20...bts021_12.html

Right from the start of the discussion there is a difference of $58.

There is no point even discussing the article because it uses unreliable numbers as a starting point. It begs the question as to what other values were played with to present "data" that supports an argument. The WSJ blew it on this one.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 6:52 pm

Programs: AC 75K
...For long-haul, the profit margin should be better.
Never done the calculations, but I would argue the opposite.
Old Jun 8, 2012, 10:29 pm

Programs: Via Preference Privilege, AC*A, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ChrisA330
Likely true, extreme example is the Hawaii and other leisure markets.

E.g. YWG-MSP-LAX-HNL base fare one way was about $356 in Delta first. Distance 4486 miles. Chances are they aren't making tons of cash off that. I would imagine it barely cover the fuel....
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
So would I.
It costs more just to Carry sufficient fuel on a 763 to go YVR-NRT than on a E90 to go YVR-YYC.
Profit margins go down further when a pax uses the MLL, gets an upgrade, etc.
Old Jun 9, 2012, 11:32 am

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
Wow, nothing like playing with the numbers and lowballing to get the desired result.
The WSJ uses "an average $146 fare for a domestic flight ($292 round-trip), plus $18 each in fees and add-ons". That's a total of $310.

The US Bureau of Transport Statistics tracks the cost of flights and they have a different number; Monday, April 30, 2012 - Average domestic air fares rose to $368 in the fourth quarter of 2011, up 10 percent from the average fare of $335 in the fourth quarter of 2010.
http://www.bts.gov/press_releases/20...bts021_12.html

Right from the start of the discussion there is a difference of $58.

There is no point even discussing the article because it uses unreliable numbers as a starting point. It begs the question as to what other values were played with to present "data" that supports an argument. The WSJ blew it on this one.
The numbers are correct for US Airways - as implied by the article the numbers are not the average domestic air fare but rather the average for a single carrier being used in this example. If you do some more research you will discover facts showing US Airways does command on average a lower fare than United, American, and Delta.

Based on UA data
Thanks for the interesting link!

The data (as specified by the article) is from US, not UA.
The UA average fare numbers are higher than US.

If you do some research, you will discover it is not.
Over the last 30 years, the airline industry as a whole has lost more money than it has made profit.
The fact based global long term reality is and has been margins are slim at profitable airlines while many other airline competitors are making zero profit, only losses.
The article is not trying to imply the above. The article does give an accurate simplified overview picture.
The article is using a single average fare for the sake of simplicity so that more people can understand one of the realities in the airline industry. For the sake of simplicity, only one average fare is used, not one average fare for paid economy, another average fare for award ticket economy, another average fare for paid first/business, another average fare for upgraded first/business, etc. More complicated analysis is available elsewhere. It should be obvious to readers that both the cost of providing and the average fare paid for first/business is higher than for economy/coach.
Most likely reality: It would cost more money to hire the additional employees and purchase the newer more expensive equipment required to not loose bags as frequently than the current cost of bags being lost. As a business trying to make money, US Airways has chosen the most profitable route.

Last edited by crazyMRer; Jun 9, 2012 at 11:51 am
Old Jun 9, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G AC*nobody TK*nobody
Originally Posted by crazyMRer
Thanks for the interesting link!

The data (as specified by the article) is from US, not UA.
The UA average fare numbers are higher than US.
Typo.

If you do some research, you will discover it is not.
Over the last 30 years, the airline industry as a whole has lost more money than it has made profit.
The fact based global long term reality is and has been margins are slim at profitable airlines while many other airline competitors are making zero profit, only losses.
Meh. I still doubt the numbers in that article... Reason I think long haul has better profit margin is compare to the example give in that article.

With way more pax than 100, and the avg cost of tickets, based on that example, should make more money.

The article is not trying to imply the above. The article does give an accurate simplified overview picture.
The article is using a single average fare for the sake of simplicity so that more people can understand one of the realities in the airline industry. For the sake of simplicity, only one average fare is used, not one average fare for paid economy, another average fare for award ticket economy, another average fare for paid first/business, another average fare for upgraded first/business, etc. More complicated analysis is available elsewhere. It should be obvious to readers that both the cost of providing and the average fare paid for first/business is higher than for economy/coach.
We know. Just saying. BTW, read some of the comments in the original article. I only that that with a grain of salt...

Most likely reality: It would cost more money to hire the additional employees and purchase the newer more expensive equipment required to not loose bags as frequently than the current cost of bags being lost. As a business trying to make money, US Airways has chosen the most profitable route.
You really taking this seriously eh? Let me put on the sarcastic smiley for you
Old Jun 9, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA MP
Due to the use of large aircraft and other operational factors, per passenger mile fuel consumption is better on long haul (~10 hrs) flights. This advantage drops off on super long haul flights.

However profitability is a function of both cost and the revenue. Depending on the fare they can charge and the load factor, margin can vary greatly for each route.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.