Wiki Posts
Search

Denied Priorty Boarding

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC*50K MM
Thumbs down Denied Priorty Boarding

Not sure who these boneheads are who do the document validation in FRA for AC, but on a flight back to Calgary over the weekend all of the *G, SE, E flyers were denied priority boarding. I was flying in Y (could not get an upgrade). They made the announcement to board Business Class and everyone got into the priority boarding line as I've done/seen hundreds of times before. Then they started pulling everyone except those with seats in J out of the line to wait. Meanwhile 50 ft away in the Economy line everyone was boarding the plane. A few passengers questioned why and they just said "It's business only". When I saw economy passengers boarding the flight I asked again why they can board while status flyers were being held back, the "document checker" yelled at me and said "If you want to board the plane now then buy a first class ticket!" Granted my tone of voice may not have been the most polite, but I have a pretty low tolerance for incompetence and vague answers. I have Elite status for a reason, I fly AC regularly, but it seems it's not worth much.

Eventually we were allowed to board, but not until 2 sections of economy had already been called and started boarding. Given the perks are dwindling year by year, if AC and their contractors can't even provide the few perks we have, like priority boarding, what is the point of flying with AC? Especially now that E millage requirements have increased. I could fly any airline now.

Debating if I should lodge a complaint with AC and Star Alliance. I know other airlines do board J first, but AC have never done this and they were boarding Econ just a few feet away, so I wonder if they were just trying to exercise their "authority" to amuse themselves.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by jmottle
Not sure who these boneheads are who do the document validation in FRA for AC, but on a flight back to Calgary over the weekend all of the *G, SE, E flyers were denied priority boarding. I was flying in Y (could not get an upgrade). They made the announcement to board Business Class and everyone got into the priority boarding line as I've done/seen hundreds of times before. Then they started pulling everyone except those with seats in J out of the line to wait. Meanwhile 50 ft away in the Economy line everyone was boarding the plane. A few passengers questioned why and they just said "It's business only". When I saw economy passengers boarding the flight I asked again why they can board while status flyers were being held back, the "document checker" yelled at me and said "If you want to board the plane now then buy a first class ticket!" Granted my tone of voice may not have been the most polite, but I have a pretty low tolerance for incompetence and vague answers. I have Elite status for a reason, I fly AC regularly, but it seems it's not worth much.

Eventually we were allowed to board, but not until 2 sections of economy had already been called and started boarding. Given the perks are dwindling year by year, if AC and their contractors can't even provide the few perks we have, like priority boarding, what is the point of flying with AC? Especially now that E millage requirements have increased. I could fly any airline now.

Debating if I should lodge a complaint with AC and Star Alliance. I know other airlines do board J first, but AC have never done this and they were boarding Econ just a few feet away, so I wonder if they were just trying to exercise their "authority" to amuse themselves.
I do believe that LH boards F then J and status pax... perhalps he confused the two?

On a recent YUL-MUC, they (swiss port) called first class boarding before anyone else despite the fact that the 333s do not have a first class.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:26 pm

Location: YVR - Vancouver, with most winter weekends in Whistler.
Programs: Aeroplan 35K, Alaska MVP, Marriott Titanium / Lifetime Platinum, Hertz President's Circle
By all means file a complaint if you feel so aggrieved, but many Star Alliance partners don't really use the Star Gold boarding as I've come to notice (and I'm thinking of Asia in general). In fact, I believe it's offered as a benefit in the package as "Priority Boarding - where available".

By contrast, UA seems to be the most segregated of class or boarding groups.

Unless you lost out on bin space, I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:28 pm

Programs: AC 75K
Originally Posted by hearna
I do believe that LH boards F then J and status pax... perhalps he confused the two?
IIRC FRA has AC staff, so no excuse.

Originally Posted by hearna
On a recent YUL-MUC, they (swiss port) called first class boarding before anyone else despite the fact that the 333s do not have a first class.
Yes they do.

If I was the OP, I'd definitely raise this to AC so the feedback can make it's way back to the FRA Station Manager to correct.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

Fortunately the other Econ passengers were at the back of the plane so was still able to secure bin space (the only real perk of priority board). Likely not worth perusing, but an annoyance nevertheless. Iberia is the same way with their priority boarding too. SpanAir (before they went under) was the same way. They never did priority boarding. Boarding Asian flights is always interesting. It's a mad rush for the line like a bunch of 13 year old girls at a Justin Bieber concert.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: DL DM. Marriott Plat. Hyatt DM.
Originally Posted by worldtraveller73
By all means file a complaint if you feel so aggrieved, but many Star Alliance partners don't really use the Star Gold boarding as I've come to notice (and I'm thinking of Asia in general). In fact, I believe it's offered as a benefit in the package as "Priority Boarding - where available".

By contrast, UA seems to be the most segregated of class or boarding groups.

Unless you lost out on bin space, I personally wouldn't worry about it too much.
You are too kind.

Correct answer is stop whining and get on with it. If you are so upset then fly on a private jet.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ChrisA330
IIRC FRA has AC staff, so no excuse.
These "document checkers" don't appear to be AC staff. Maybe airport staff? Surprised that none of the AC crew said something to them through as they clearly saw what was going on.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JPCAG
You are too kind.

Correct answer is stop whining and get on with it. If you are so upset then fly on a private jet.
Right of course, why bother with these silly loyalty programs. If they offer perks it's not really meant to be taken advantage of anyway. Clearly from your profile I can see you don't use them anyway, so if they did not offer you the perks it's no biggie. Not sure why you wasted your time signing up for all of them though. Maybe you just like the all the shiny cards?

Good grief...
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: AC-SE, CX-DM, DL-G, Hyatt-DM, Hilton-DM, Fairmont-Plt, Marriott-S, Accor-Plt, SPG-G, IHG-Plt
File a complaint to AC and get a 5% code.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:42 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
These "document checkers" don't appear to be AC staff. Maybe airport staff? Surprised that none of the AC crew said something to them through as they clearly saw what was going on.
They are not AC staff - but as pointed out, no excuse.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 3:58 pm

Programs: NZ Gold Elite, AS, AC, QF
complain

I would certainly send a polite letter of complaint. I fly FRA-YVR once a year and while it's always super-busy, haven't experienced that sort of problem.

A few comments:
  • The document checkers are not the check-in desk, though they work with them
  • There's a concierge available to assist and I've found them VERY helpful in FRA
  • Air Canada flights follow AC rules; LH follow LH rules. To YVR it's an LH flight; YYC is AC
  • When someone tries to deny my rights as Elite I will not move until it's sorted. Because there's usually at least 10 others in the same boat.

Having said all this, things go wrong and it's how an airline remedies a problem once made aware of it that's perhaps the better measure of their service standards. A bit of forgiveness is a good thing.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
It probably cant hurt to complain to AC, but it wasnt AC staff you were dealing with.

The staff doing the passport checks at FRA are Securitas staff AFAIK and are among the most unfriendly and incompetent airport staff Ive encountered.

More often than not boarding AC flights at FRA is a mess (and Ive flown AC out of FRA a few dozen times), they usually try to have all pax queue up to have their documents checked (and get a stamp on their BP), run out of time, and start boarding at the same time.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 4:46 pm

AC, UA, US, NH, SQ, OZ, LH all honor priority boarding for Star Alliance Gold Members

More like a staff attitude issue than anything else.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:26 pm

Programs: AC E75K *G
It doesn't matter who is staffing the flight - it is AC's ultimate responsibility to provide the services it advertises.

I think it is worth a quick note of complaint, if for nothing else than to alert AC that they aren't providing consistent service at that location.

Keep the complaint to the bare facts. They failed to allow SE, E, and *G board with business class. (Don't mention any of your personal feelings about the matter.) Maybe you'll get some miles or a discount code thrown your way.
Old Jun 6, 2012, 7:25 pm

Fortunately the other Econ passengers were at the back of the plane so was still able to secure bin space (the only real perk of priority board). Likely not worth perusing, but an annoyance nevertheless. Iberia is the same way with their priority boarding too. SpanAir (before they went under) was the same way. They never did priority boarding. Boarding Asian flights is always interesting. It's a mad rush for the line like a bunch of 13 year old girls at a Justin Bieber concert.
I've never had a problem priority boarding on SpanAir. They actually treated us like gold as we were the only *Gold on a packed plane to FRA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.