Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

What am I doing wrong? RE: TATL J Reward availability Oct 2012

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Hi,

I'm new to booking TATL/TPAC reward flights on Aeroplan, having come from the BA Avios program.

What I am trying to do is get from YWG to Europe in and around the first two weeks of October in J, one way.

At first, I thought I'd be picky and try airlines without SQ, but then we had to change our availability due to other flights we're taking.

When I go to search aeroplan.com for "business" from YWG to FRA, ZRH, DUS, MUC, etc what will happen is it will pull up flights whereby I will fly from YWG-YYZ in J, and then YYZ-TATL in Y. Not what I'm looking for.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried this for numerous days, and routes, and there appears to be very little J availability. Should I just try expanding my search? Even when I do YYZ-FRA, it will route me through YUL in J then Y for the next leg. I have read that LX is now only doing J availability two weeks out, but I figured other airlines would be more accommodating.

Sorry if this is a newbie question.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
I suggest you consider flying transAt out of ORD or another US city you can easily fly to from YWG. There are likely to be more award J/C seats available on UA, US, LH, OS, LX, SQ, etc. This does have the hassle of US customs/immigration but you're more likely to find seats and save on the cash component. You can use the AE search engine using ORD or whatever US city as your starting point, then check for YWG connector flights. (You can also use the UA.com award search to identify possible flights. It is the normal flight booking engine, but you will see a box for awards. No need to identify the class since Y, J/C and F will be displayed.)
Old May 30, 2012, 10:46 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Welcome to the world of Aeroplan. You don't mention your status, but unless you're SE (and sometimes not even then), J availability is limited. TATL, especially to LHR, is better than most, but you'll need to search around. You may also have to call in because the website does not always show available flights (check YYZ-Europe separately). Your best bet is to use the ANA tool, or equivalent, for Award availability and then call in to request the specific flights. Finally, as a last resort, if you do have a segment in Y, you are eligible to stand by for J at the airport although with a low priority. If you're going to LHR, you have a pretty good chance of getting a J seat, for FRA, not so much.

If you have some spare points, then an F award on a different carrier is an option.
Old May 30, 2012, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Thank you for your help already.

Sorry for not clarifying. I don't have any status.

I'm open to any airline. Doesn't matter which. In fact, I'd rather NOT fly AC.

Just doing some searches ex-ORD. Availability looks alot more reasonable through there. I'd take the hassle of US customs versus availability.

What's the flexibility like with booking? Can I pick and choose my connector flights? IS there a limit (eq has to be within 24 hours or same day?)
Old May 30, 2012, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Allright, here's what I've found:

For example, on Saturday October 13th, UA shows availability ORD-FRA for UA944 and FRA-ZHR on LH(orX)1184 in business class. This is their "standard" award. No such availability through the aeroplan engine.

Is that inventory only released to UA then from LH/LX?
Old May 30, 2012, 11:13 am
Flying Blue Director

Originally Posted by tbuff

For example, on Saturday October 13th, UA shows availability ORD-FRA for UA944 and FRA-ZHR on LH(orX)1184 in business class. This is their "standard" award. No such availability through the aeroplan engine.

No, that's available to AP as well, it just doesn't appear online so you'll have to call in and request it (it's best to note time and flight number to direct the agent to book the exactly flights you want). Your YWG-ORD connection will have to be within 24 hours of your ORD-FRA flight.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:19 am
Original Poster

Really?

I found a YWG-ORD for 6 AM that saturday. then the rest of the itinerary would work.

wow, ok. There's tons of availability on UA.com for getting TATL in J...

Why is AP's search engine not showing it?
Old May 30, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: AC SE MM
Really?

I found a YWG-ORD for 6 AM that saturday. then the rest of the itinerary would work.

wow, ok. There's tons of availability on UA.com for getting TATL in J...

Why is AP's search engine not showing it?
Because they enhanced it to get $30 out of you.
Old May 30, 2012, 11:56 am

Programs: A Few

You need to find 'saver' award inventory, not 'standard'. UA 'saver' inventory should be available for redemption through any *A partner program. UA 'standard' award inventory is for UA MP members willing to pay a premium, like AE Classic Plus awards.
Old May 30, 2012, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
UA 'standard' award inventory is for UA MP members willing to pay a premium, like AE Classic Plus awards.
The difference being
(1) the magnitude of the premium (2x on UA, >5x on AC)
(2) the presence of scamcharges (none on UA)

Anyway for transatlantic travel on that day, consider:
SK946 ORD-ARN Oct 13
or
AC882 YYZ-CPH Oct 13
Old May 30, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
oh boy.. wait till you find out that that ticket to Europe on AC/LH/OS/LO will come with a $1000 scamcharge on top of points.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yycworldtraveler
You need to find 'saver' award inventory, not 'standard'. UA 'saver' inventory should be available for redemption through any *A partner program. UA 'standard' award inventory is for UA MP members willing to pay a premium, like AE Classic Plus awards.
I knew it was too good to be true. Thanks. Not much shows up on saver inventory.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by rankourabu
oh boy.. wait till you find out that that ticket to Europe on AC/LH/OS/LO will come with a $1000 scamcharge on top of points.
Just saw that.

I think I'm narrowing down the search - wife wants to fly into Zurich, or thereabouts. Germany might also be an option, so I could do the LH flight to DUS, which is slightly less of a charge than the other one.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Just saw that.

I think I'm narrowing down the search - wife wants to fly into Zurich, or thereabouts. Germany might also be an option, so I could do the LH flight to DUS, which is slightly less of a charge than the other one.
The scamcharge on AC vs LH is almost identical.
Old May 30, 2012, 3:10 pm
Original Poster

Found availability from YYZ:

LO46

then

LX1349

If I feed an agent over the phone a flight YWG-YYZ on the same day, it will work correct? Because there is availability on the day YWG-YYZ, and YYZ-WAW-ZRH, but when I try going YWG-ZRH, it breaks down.

Charges aren't bad YYZ-WAW-ZRH, will it skyrocket by adding YWG-YYZ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.